SLAMming Confused: Deal w CYA First? What is “SLAM Level”?

Hi, all. Sorry for the radio silence. I'm a beekeeper and its been a nutty several days rescuing, hiving and caring for several swarms around town.

The pool is... amazing! Chemistry is all good and, yes, it's TFT clear. :)

I'm so thankful for all the help everyone, especially @PoolStored, provided. So thankful, in fact, that I became a Gold Supporter!!!

Here's a photo of the pool, and, just for fun, me gathering three swarms of honeybees. :)

IMG_7012 2_1.jpg

1686162852459.png
1686162814070.png
IMG_3F3B1F59D84A-1.jpeg
1686162601230.png

That is so cool, Pool and Bees!!!! Thanks for the support, really helps. I hope the little ones love the swim and you keep the pool in TFP shape so it is always ready!

Mickey Mouse Happy Dance GIF by hoppip

Reactions: stretchphoto
I have another question.

I got in trouble initially this spring when adding several pounds of stabilizer per the PoolMath recommendation resulted in too high a CYA level and a subsequent draining of the pool. 🤯

Does the attached recommendation, from last night’s water test, look right? I’m a little gun shy.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 56A39540-2BD0-44EA-9607-F6FF55302D3E.png
    56A39540-2BD0-44EA-9607-F6FF55302D3E.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 9
Soooo...yeah. That. 🤯

Your cell puts out 30g/h or 720g/d or 1.6 lb/day. In your pool that equates to 8.7 FC. Certainly a good size.

I run mine at 70. But I'm also super tight on testing. Slamming at 60 is reasonable, ok at 70, hard at 80.

Raise it to 60. See how that effects your demand and if you are ok with that demand. 60 is great as you are learning to maintain your pool.

When you are comfortable you have the pool under control and understand demand and cell setting, then raise to 70.

The only reason to raise to 70 or 80 is to increase cell life. I like 70 and have no issues raising it to 70 first thing in the year, but I know how to dance with my pool and keep FC up to top of the range and I know what my demand is by month. As you learn that, you will get more comfortable...hope that helps!

It is also easier for additions and testing to just use CYA number that end with 0. I always test by adding liquid to each line until dot is obscured. Then my CYA is x0.

Last edited:
On another note, when I was new, I had a day where I glanced at the pool, and something was just not right. Wasn't TFP clear. FC was at minimum. That was the day I learned minimum was Lava...for my pool. If you see a bit of haze to the pool, get that FC up.

I've also learned what my FC demand is by month. In June with cover, no swimmers, 2FC = 20% output. One swimmers and sunny, cover off, 3-4FC demand. Party!!!! up to 5.5-6FC.

When I pull the cover for me to swim I increase my output to 40-45% for the rest of the day and back to baseline at night. Party!! I up it to 50-60% until the end of the day. You can even test during the day, up the output, or add a little LC to stay in target range.

Users of the forum have found over the years that those with SWCG can run their CYA a bit higher, and still keep everything well above minimums needed for sanitation. It helps prevent FC burnoff to the sun, meaning you can run your salt cell a little less frequently and extend its lifespan.

The downside is that if you do have a problem that arises, like say your cell stops producing and you aren't testing often enough to catch it, and it goes green or you need to SLAM, the FC requirements are a lot more for the SLAM.

Still, with frequent testing, most people here feel confident enough that they won't have an issue to run their CYA higher if they have a SWCG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That makes sense. Thanks.
Ha Ha! I supposed it doesn't (double ha ha...I read that as "that does't make sense.") Mix your solution. Fill to the first line, outside, sun at your back, hold it waist high. Glance. Dot obscured? No, fill to the next line...rinse repeat.

When the dot is obscured, read the value at that fill line. It will be x0. 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70...

In other words, just fill to each line and read. Don't read in between the lines.

Did you put your T-15 in PoolMath? Go to effects of adding, should have 24 hour SWG output...what does yours (in pool math effects of adding) say?

I'm a beekeeper and its been a nutty several days rescuing, hiving and caring for several swarms around town.
MORE! I love hearing about bees and all the neat stuff about them....................where do you put the new hives? Are they all honey bees? Do you harvest the honey? Why have you had to rescue so many? Is this normal for this time of year?
I'm so thankful for all the help everyone, especially @PoolStored, provided. So thankful, in fact, that I became a Gold Supporter!!!
:hug: THANKS! I hope you stick around and help someone when they need it down the road!

Is this the part may need clarification - just want to understand where there may be confusion.
“Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level)
Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. “
I too was confused about what Slam Level meant until I found stretchphoto’s question here. Why not just put FC PPM, in the graphic instead of Slam Level?

I too was confused about what Slam Level meant until I found stretchphoto’s question here. Why not just put FC PPM, in the graphic instead of Slam Level?
FWIW, I'm a journalist and will be happy to contribute some copy editing to the text if whomever runs this joint would like. :)

MORE! I love hearing about bees and all the neat stuff about them....................where do you put the new hives? Are they all honey bees? Do you harvest the honey? Why have you had to rescue so many? Is this normal for this time of year?

:hug: THANKS! I hope you stick around and help someone when they need it down the road!
So much to say so little time...

I have two apiaries here in Champaign. One (5 hives) a couple of miles from our house on a bit of land a friend has and another (4 hives) at an organic goat farm & creamery north of town.

They are all honeybees and yes, we do harvest honey to enjoy at home as well as a it to sell. (See attached. Grace not only has a pool in her name, she has honey in her name.) :)

Early spring is generally considered swarm season. Old beekeep saying, “A swarm in May is worth a load of hay, A swarm in June, a silver spoon, but a swarm in July is not worth a fly.” That's because the later in the season the less a swarm can be prepared in terms of resources (honey, pollen, bees) for winter. Swarming started early and often here this year even in light of more early swarms year-to-year due to climate change. I caught one in mid-April and three in May. Catching swarms not only give the colony a permanent home, it saves the beekeeper about $150 per colony, which is what it would've cost to purchase 3lbs of bees and a queen.

Here's a fun little video of the girls bringing in some amazing pollen a couple springs ago...

Thanks for asking!

Green BG 2x4 Cute as heck.04.jpgkirby apiary.jpg210206_bees_pollenGoingIn_0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.