SLAMming Confused: Deal w CYA First? What is “SLAM Level”?

stretchphoto

Gold Supporter
Jun 14, 2018
Champaign, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
the SLAM video and the text below it on the tft page don’t seem to agree w one another.

My CYA is 0. FC is 0.

Questions:

1/ Do I need to get CYA to 30 before adding bleach, as the cartoon video states?

2/ What does “SLAM Level 10” mean? That’s what I get when I click “here” in the sentence below. But here’s nowhere that explains what SLAM level means.

“Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level).”

Thanks.

Reactions: KevinL
1/ Do I need to get CYA to 30 before adding bleach, as the cartoon video states?
You should add enough CYA to your pool to get to 30. Use the sock method. You can use FC of 10 for your target until the CYA is dissolved. Then your target will be 12.
2/ What does “SLAM Level 10” mean? That’s what I get when I click “here” in the sentence below. But here’s nowhere that explains what SLAM level means.

“Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level).”
SLAM level is 40% of your CYA. So, CYA of 30, your SLAM level target is 12. That 12 is an FC target. So, when you test FC and you get a 4 on the test, you need to add 8ppm of FC to get back to slam level.

The calculation for SLAM is to have your FC level at 40% of your CYA level. So a CYA of 30 would mean a FC level of 12ppm. The calculation on the website gives a minimum of CYA level of 20 and a minimum SLAM level of FC 10ppm.

However, if you read the SLAM document, we want a target level of CYA of 30 because CYA does have the benefit that it holds some of your chlorine. If you have zero CYA, then between the UV of the sun and the algae your FC Level will be consumed very quickly.
You can have a higher CYA, like 50, but it just means you have to increase your FC level to 20ppm. So ideally we shoot for 30 CYA but you can run a SLAM at most any level above a CYA of 30 (but don’t exceed CYA of 100)

If you SLAM, you should bring your FC level up to the target amount (12ppm for CYA of 30ppm) and then test every 3-4 hours during the daylight time and replenish your FC to maintain it at SLAM level. The more dedicated you are to keeping the FC level at the target SLAM level, the better it will go.

Thank you, @HermanTX and @PoolStored. Very helpful.

For whomever does this sort of thing I would suggest clarifying the meaning of SLAM Level” in the documentation, and including a link to that documentation in the video.

I finally guessed that slam level and free chlorine level had to be the same thing, and I see based on your explanation how it works. But just from a user experience that 411 might be helpful. (Maybe I missed something bc accessing via mobile, but that would be an issue in itself…) all FWIW.

And one other question: it sounds like I can raise the cya and add the bleach at the same time, correct? (And I understand that as the level of the cya changes that will change the target FC number.)

Thanks!

Reactions: stretchphoto
For whomever does this sort of thing I would suggest clarifying the meaning of SLAM Level” in the documentation, and including a link to that documentation in the video.

I finally guessed that slam level and free chlorine level had to be the same thing, and I see based on your explanation how it works. But just from a user experience that 411 might be helpful. (Maybe I missed something bc accessing via mobile, but that would be an issue in itself…)
Is this the part may need clarification - just want to understand where there may be confusion.
“Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level)
Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. “

Reactions: Mdragger88
Make sure you have liquid chlorine if at all possible. The current bleach is not just bleach anymore :( They are adding all kinds of stuff to it now - splashless, pretty smells, etc. It can cause problems to a pool.
Agree. There is bleach that doesn’t have the additives.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, all.

I've gotten to the point in the SLAM process where I have a dead algae and what I've seen called "algae dust."

I've supplemented my sand filter with some DE, I'm using a filter sock and our robot to try to get the dead algae & algae dust out of the pool. Not a lot of progress so far. I even see it coming back out the returns in the pool.

Is my only solution to vacuum to waste? I hate to do that what with all the stabilizer and chlorine bleach I've added to the pool in the last couple of days, so checking to see if there are other options/ideas.

Thanks so much -

Haven’t gotten to the overnight test yet. Just trying to think proactively.

But whatever it is, should I vac to waste, or just wait it out & keep sweeping to the deep end?

Thanks.

But whatever it is, should I vac to waste, or just wait it out & keep sweeping to the deep end?
Once the majority of junk is out of the pool, I would focus more on normal filtration. San filters tend to grab junk a little better when they are dirty anyway.

I appreciate your help. But the question remains: How do I remove the majority of the junk from the pool? Vac to waste?

Or, as I continue the SLAM process, will the junk (very fine brown-ish particles) become more minimal through the slam/normal filter process?

Thanks.

Your response indicates you think I should have known you added 8 pounds of stabilizer, despite this information not appearing in your logs.

The real question remains, "why would someone add 100 ppm of stabilizer to a pool they were actively performing a SLAM Process on?"

Your response indicates you think I should have known you added 8 pounds of stabilizer, despite this information not appearing in your logs.

The real question remains, "why would someone add 100 ppm of stabilizer to a pool they were actively performing a SLAM Process on?"
You continue to ask questions rather than providing answers, which indicates to me that you want an argument, something for which I have neither the time nor the inclination for.

To answer your question, I asked my question about the stabilizer because I wasn’t sure if that would take the cya from 55 to 100. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

You continue to ask questions rather than providing answers
I ask questions when I see someone doing something that makes no sense. Since the instructions for the SLAM Process clearly state that the CYA should be between 30-40, it makes no sense that someone would dump additional CYA in to a pool with a CYA level already above that level. That odd behavior certainly justifies questioning.

I will be sure to avoid offering any input in the future to prevent further offense. Enjoy your pool.

Reactions: pshawman

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.