Site Clearing Underway for NC Pool (In-Process Updates)

Agree--really like the design! Can't wait to see it finished because I think it will look great.

My only question is the wall where the bar area meets the straight wall. We had a similar thing where a straight wall ended due to a slope.

I would not add steps there because I prefer your design look without but I think kids will be walking along the bar tabletop instead of going around.

My suggestion would be to consider paver stepping stones next to the slope (in the grass area) that connects to the bar area. You could also consider a sloped concrete path next to the wall but I probably would not do that because I wouldn't want to change the true semi-circle shape. Actually this is tough because I would try to find the solution that doesn't alter the design.

Edit: Depending on the height of the wall, you could consider a build in bench (that doubles as a step) where that wall meets the bar. If the wall is 24 inches an 18 inch bench would work.

Also wanted to add during the bid process I kept saying I wish there was no slope because of the costs and trouble but the slope created the best looking elements of the entire design imo. For your pool, the slope is creating something truly unique.

Last edited:
Well I have to say this is a one of a kind design! Looks neat!

-Model numbers of ALL equipment as stated above. VERY IMPORTANT to get it in writing now. Share this info with us and we can look it over to make sure you get what YOUR pool needs instead of what the PB has in stock.

-Depth of shelf? Make sure they are talking about WATER depth (from floor to middle of the skimmer opening). Some do it from floor to the bottom of the coping but that is NOT water depth as you lose several inches from the middle of the skimmer to under the coping.

-Returns-2??? That is all in this pool? That is not enough. You need at least one on the shelf that is installed in such a way to push stuff off the shelf. Then you need at least 1 that goes from the steps to the bar area to push stuff from that area. At least another 1 but 2 would be best for the rest of the pool to get and keep the water moving.

You need specific equipment specified. Model number of pump, heater, swg, and especially WHAT VERY SPECIFIC MODEL AQUALINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW MANY PEOPLE GET SCREWED ON THIS DETAIL.
I will ask for specific model information for the pump, heater, and swg. I will make sure I understand specific model information for the automation system.

Beautiful pool design!
I would not sign until I knew what pebble finish is being used. Contract states PebbleTec or Stonescapes. If PebbleTec is used will they install PebbleTec product or PebbleSheen. Many people seem to prefer PebbleSheen which is more expensive. What colors are “Standard” and what colors are an upgrade and what is the cost to upgrade? (For my pool the cost from level 1 PebbleSheen to level 2 is $1500)

I prefer the look of glass waterline tile but many people are very happy with ceramic. Glass is more expensive so something to think about now.
I think both my wife and are ok with PebbleTec or Stonescapes and will just elect to do a simple color upgrade to Tahoe Blue.

I like the waterline tile as well, but we are wondering if a vanishing edge spa will be fully functional. For ex: one wouldn't be able to sit on the spa to simply get their feet wet without getting their behinds wet. Also, wondering if we would have a place to sit drinks while seating in the spa.

Any thoughts on the below spa design versus a vanishing edge spa? Would a traditional spa with a coping (we are leaning towards Shell Stone (limestone) as shown below be a better alternative? If so, would we need to add a water feature (spillover)?

1641159561339.png

Agree--really like the design! Can't wait to see it finished because I think it will look great.

My only question is the wall where the bar area meets the straight wall. We had a similar thing where a straight wall ended due to a slope.

I would not add steps there because I prefer your design look without but I think kids will be walking along the bar tabletop instead of going around.

My suggestion would be to consider paver stepping stones next to the slope (in the grass area) that connects to the bar area. You could also consider a sloped concrete path next to the wall but I probably would not do that because I wouldn't want to change the true semi-circle shape. Actually this is tough because I would try to find the solution that doesn't alter the design.

Edit: Depending on the height of the wall, you could consider a build in bench (that doubles as a step) where that wall meets the bar. If the wall is 24 inches an 18 inch bench would work.

Also wanted to add during the bid process I kept saying I wish there was no slope because of the costs and trouble but the slope created the best looking elements of the entire design imo. For your pool, the slope is creating something truly unique.

Attached is a example of a sloped concrete path (found online):
Please see below screenshot of our full master landscape design (will occur in phases starting with the pool/spa). Feel free to provide your thoughts.

1641159753552.png

Last edited:
Well I have to say this is a one of a kind design! Looks neat!

-Model numbers of ALL equipment as stated above. VERY IMPORTANT to get it in writing now. Share this info with us and we can look it over to make sure you get what YOUR pool needs instead of what the PB has in stock.

-Depth of shelf? Make sure they are talking about WATER depth (from floor to middle of the skimmer opening). Some do it from floor to the bottom of the coping but that is NOT water depth as you lose several inches from the middle of the skimmer to under the coping.

-Returns-2??? That is all in this pool? That is not enough. You need at least one on the shelf that is installed in such a way to push stuff off the shelf. Then you need at least 1 that goes from the steps to the bar area to push stuff from that area. At least another 1 but 2 would be best for the rest of the pool to get and keep the water moving.
Great advice on pool depths! I will clarify we are referring to water depths and that they should be measured from floor to middle of skimmer opening.

I think 2 returns is a mistake on the contract. Good catch though. I looked at the prior proposals and they did indeed state 4 returns. However, will definitely confirm with PB.

Are the # of skimmers and drains sufficient (2 for each)?

Thanks again!

Your spa needs to have some form of a spillover if you have one set of equipment and one body of water.

I would vote for the "vanishing spa" approach. That makes it a lot easier to hop over the wall from pool to spa and visa-versa. (Also means you have a built in spill over rather than needing a break in the coping or a tunnel under the coping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
a vanishing edge spa will be fully functional. For ex: one wouldn't be able to sit on the spa to simply get their feet wet without getting their behinds wet. Also, wondering if we would have a place to sit drinks while seating in the spa.
I would like the none vanishing edge for all of the reasons you stated. I would make sure the coping is one you could sit on without snagging your bathing suit.
a coping (we are leaning towards Shell Stone (limestone)
See above ^^^
we need to add a water feature (spillover)?
It would not have to be a big one. Just enough for some water to go over to get mixed in with the main body of water.
Are the # of skimmers and drains sufficient (2 for each)?
2 skimmers=good idea

drains-see if there are really two drains or one split into 2. I would get this kinds of drain:

With your depths the round ones could be toe stubbers.

Kim:kim:

Nice design, I like the use of the unique shape-nothing seems wasted. Only thing that caught my eye was the bench seating on the curve in the pool, just seemed to be an odd place for it. I also see the bar area as becoming a jumping off point with kids, but I think that would be true of any point along the pool edge so…

Your 400K gas heater will do fine. You don't need to also have a HP.

We need to know model numbers for pumps. LED lights, salt generator. heater, automatic pool cleaner to comment if they are good or bad.

How will the two pumps be used? One for the main filter heater? The second for the water features or for a dedicated spa jet pump?

With 8 spa jets you will get stronger water pressure with a dedicated spa pump then relying on the main pump running through the filter and heater.

Have them list what colors are the standard no upcharge.

Five deck jets? Many folks find the deck jets noisy and get rarely used after the novelty wears off.

Have individual diverter valves put on each water feature line so you can balance them and adjust their flows.

I don't see the automation system that will give you phone app control of your pool.

How would you recommend the 2nd pump be used? For the spa? Or for the water features?

Thanks in advance!

How would you recommend the 2nd pump be used? For the spa?

You get greater water pressure out of spa jest with a dedicated spa pump that is not going through a filter and heater.

Or for the water features?

Depends on the flow rate requirements of the specific water features.

First of all for your pool I feel the minimum is two skimmers and 3 returns.

For your spa there are two ways spas are setup:
  1. One or two spa returns connected to your main pump, filter and heater and a seperate suction, and pump, flowing water directly to spa jets. Depending on the size of your spa you can have 4 to 8 jets or more.
  2. The other way is to connect all your spa returns and jets to the main pump, filter and heater.
You can get more water pressure and flow out of the spa jets with a dedicated pump. larger pipes, and no restrictions from the heater and filter. You also have more flexibility in how you use the spa with relaxing calm water from your main pump or can turn on the jets when you want the water therapy.

The second way using one pump is the simple low budget way to go.

Your worries about creating resistance for the pump and stress on the system are unfounded. The pool pump and system can handle whatever number of returns you decide you want. THe heater will heat up the pool or spa at the same rate regardless of the number or size of your returns.

Figure out how many pool returns, spa returns and spa jets you want and that dictates if 1 1/5', 2" or 2 1/2" or 3" pipes are needed. The Tristar 900 pump can handle whatever.
Your insight is very useful. If you have a moment, could you take a look at my pool plan found at the below link and advise on the below questions:

Feedback on Pool Design and Specs

1A) How would you recommend the 2nd pump is utilized? (for the spa or for water features)
1B) If dedicated for the spa, do I need a dedicate filter?

2) If we eliminate the vanishing edge concept for the spa, would our spa need a spillover for circulation?

3) Do any pool automation systems have the capability to control each water feature (5 jet decks, 3 bubbler, maybe spillover) all independently? Or will some be grouped together most likely?

Thanks in advance!

We have an upcoming dig date of Mid March 2022 and our PB is planning on using Jandy equipment. We have the following items spec'd for our roughly 1,000 sq ft pool plus 9' (interior diameter) spa:

1) 2 two HP pumps (unsure if one is for pool/water feature and the 2nd pump is for the spa OR if one is for the pool and the 2nd one for the spa/water features). What set-up is recommended?

2) 4 returns

3) 2 skimmers

4) 2 main drains

5) 580 sq ft cartridge filter

6) 400k BTU heater

7) SWG system

8) Automation = unsure but did state a phone app would be available. I'm assuming its one of the RS systems. However, which one specifically do I need (PS4, PS6, etc)?

9) 5 deck jets

10) 3 LED bubblers

11) 5 LED pool lights, 2 LED spa lights

Please see below questions:

a) What specific Jandy automation system is recommended based on the equipment/features I will have?

b) Will I be able to control each item separately? For example, can I control only 1 of 5 jet decks? But also control them as a group of 5 as well?

c) Is it correct to be able to use the water features (deck jets for example) while using the spa, I would have to have 1 pump for the pool/water features and a 2nd dedicated pump for the spa?

d) Which Jandy system integrates with Alexa?

e) What else do I need to consider from strictly a controls standpoint?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Your insight is very useful. If you have a moment, could you take a look at my pool plan found at the below link and advise on the below questions:

Feedback on Pool Design and Specs

1A) How would you recommend the 2nd pump is utilized? (for the spa or for water features)

You get greater water pressure out of spa jets with a dedicated spa pump that is not going through a filter and heater.

1B) If dedicated for the spa, do I need a dedicate filter?

The pump is dedicated to the spa jets and do not require a filter. You will have two water flows to the spa.

1 - SPA filtering and heating from spa suction through main pump, filter, heater, SWG to two spa returns
2 - SPA jets from jet suction through the spa jet pump to eh spa jets.

2) If we eliminate the vanishing edge concept for the spa, would our spa need a spillover for circulation?

Vanishing edge is just a different spillover design. With one set of equipment you have one body of water and always need some form of a spillover.

3) Do any pool automation systems have the capability to control each water feature (5 jet decks, 3 bubbler, maybe spillover) all independently? Or will some be grouped together most likely?

The only thing required by the automation is capacity for enough actuators to provide the number of independent controls you need. The rest is a matter of proper design and plumbing.

I think you will find the Pentair IntelliCenter gives you the best modular expansion capability. The Jandy Aqualink is also expandable by adding additional cabinets.

Last edited:
You get greater water pressure out of spa jest with a dedicated spa pump that is not going through a filter and heater.

The pump is dedicated to the spa jets and do not require a filter. You will have two water flows to the spa.

1 - SPA filtering and heating from spa suction through main pump, filter, heater, SWG to two spa returns
2 - SPA jets from jet suction through the spa jet pump to eh spa jets.

Vanishing edge is just a different spillover design. With one set of equipment you have one body of water and always need some form of a spillover.

The only thing required by the automation is capacity for enough actuators to provide the number of independent controls you need. The rest is a matter of proper design and plumbing.

I think you will find the Pentair IntelliCenter gives you the best modular expansion capability. The Jandy Aqualink is also expandable by adding additional cabinets.
Thank you for the prompt and thoughtful reply. It is very much appreciated!

See updated spa design below which has been modified to now be a half vanishing edge and half traditional (coping) spa design. The idea is to get the aesthetic benefits of a vanishing edge spa along with this feature serving as the spillover for filtration. However, the other half (non vanishing edge side) can still be used for individuals who may want to sit on too of the spa on occasions and only get their feet wet. In addition, it allows us a better surface to place food and drinks. Any feedback is always welcomed!

51C12F4E-C273-4F1D-8724-C6E98B2248E8.png

Also, thought I’d share an updated picture of our property where trees have been cleared as of earlier this week to make room for the pool.

939845EE-8B94-4CEC-BD48-BD593C66E462.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the tweak of the spa is the best of both worlds! Well done!

Looking the the pic of the property I do have one concern I hope someone has already addressed. See the driveway over the ditch? That is going to have to be reinforced to get the big equipment over it without breaking it. I would try to find a way for them to come and go without using your driveway if at all possible. Of course that area will have to be redone when it is all over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.