Should I throw away my intex ultra frame pool

Bbear

Aug 12, 2023
Minneapolis (MN)
I’ve battled mustard algae all summer. My kids swam once, in late June.

I followed the SLAM method using %7 bleach, before that, I tried lots of Cal hypo shock, I drained and refilled it.

It’s a small amount in the seams of the pool, and a few places at one end, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference how much bleach I add.

If I throw the pool away, and take the kids on the bus to city pools, am I making the right choice?

I’ve had this pool for about 2 years, and I’ve had other pools before this, and I’ve never had this problem before!

It started in the beginning of the summer with chlorine pucks that wouldn’t break down, and PH that wouldn’t respond to PH Down. I used about 20 pounds in that first month, and finally a chlorine puck was dissolving and we swam. Once.

can I no longer keep a pool? If I buy a new one for next year, will I end up with this problem after the snow clears?

Algae is unsightly but as long as you can see the bottom of the pool, for safety purposes, and you don't exceed the SLAM level FC for your CYA, you can go swimming. So a little algae in the seams or on the wall is not going to hurt you.

In fact have you read through the SLAM article thoroughly? If you can see the bottom of the pool, take it up to SLAM level for your CYA. Test, if FC is at SLAM level or below, get in and scrub those seams. Test again within 2 hours and bring FC back up to SLAM level. The M is maintain. The more you test and keep at SLAM level the faster it will go.

Oh, I wouldn't get rid of the pool, unless it has run its course and is falling apart. TFPC can keep the water clear, sanitized and balanced.

Reactions: Mdragger88
How large is this pool?
Does it have one of those little cartridge filters?
Tell us more about your pool.
If its on the smaller side you may want to drain scrub & refill then follow this guide instead of trying to do the
SLAM Process.
Those seams are the pits & need to be scrubbed regularly even if the pool looks clear.
Algae grows due to maintaining inadequate fc for your cya level period.
IMG_7222.jpeg
Algae can be completely eradicated with a thoroughly completed SLAM Process
at the appropriate fc shock level for your cya level - it is not usually a quick process.
IMG_7221.jpeg
If proper fc is maintained thereafter your pool should remain algae free.
Do you have a recommended test kit?
Test Kits Compared
If so can you share your latest results?
It’s impossible to do the slam process efficiently & safely & complete it (prove algae is gone) without an fas/dpd test & cya test.

Pool Care Basics

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.