Shock or SLAM?

keaston282

Mar 30, 2017
Nashua, NH
This is long, so bear with me...I figured this was the place to post this, as there are a lot of pool nerds here who might dig the details...

Pool: above ground 12x24 oval, 52" depth, New England. History: we did not open the pool until 2 days ago. The water under the pool cover was blue and clear with almost no debris after sitting winterized for 10 months. However, our skimmer container was cracked, so we had to replace that, which meant draining the pool completely (so the holes would line up properly with the existing holes in our pool liner, which was stretching downward somewhat because of the weight of the water). Anyway, that doesn't really matter, all that matters is that we had to drain the pool to make the repair. We did not get inside the pool to scrub or wash the liner when it was empty, mainly because it didn't look dirty. Then we filled the pool right after completing the repair.

Here is where is gets strange. As we filled the pool with hose water, we noticed that the water in the pool was green, not super dark green but sort of a greenish yellow, but mostly clear. It wasn't cloudy and there were no clumps of algae. After the pool was filled to the top, there was a definite green color. In many years past, whenever we fill the pool from our hose, it is always looks crystal clear and blue, even if it has zero chlorine in it at first.

So I used a Taylor drop kit to test the green water. My test kit only shows up to 5 ppm, but the chlorine was off the chart, super dark. I tried another Taylor test kit I had fun last year that had just expired (not sure that matters) and this one measured up to 10 ppm, could have been higher who knows.

The CYA in the pool was zero. Total alkalinity was 30. pH was low, can't recall the value because i don't pay much attention to pH until total alkalinity is ok To make sure our municipal water supply did not have high chlorine levels, I tested the water coming straight from the hose, and it had zero chlorine.

As a side note, after we filled the pool with hose water, we fished out the winterizing container (the big plastic white sealed container that we poked holes in last fall to release the winterized chemicals, which stays in the pool all winter). This container may have been in the refilled pool water overnight, at least for the entire time it took to fill the pool with the hose (about 10-14 hours).

So. Why the green water?

Was it algae growth because we opened our pool too late? Had there been invisible algae on the pool walls and we just didn't notice, and once water got in there the algae just perked up and bloomed fast?

Or...

Was there so much chlorine from the winterizing container that it superchlorinated the fresh hose water enough to turn it green?

I still don't know.

So here is what I did. Yesterday around 6pm I adjusted the total alkalinity. This morning I retested TA and it was good, and the pool was slightly less green. Then I adjusted the pH to proper levels. The pool was definitely getting even less green. I tested the free chlorine again and surprise! It was zero. So I added chlorine stabilizer to get it up to 50 (I was aiming for 40 but whatever) and planned to add liquid shock after sunset. The pool seemed pretty clear and blue by early afternoon. Almost good enough to swim in.

Back when the water was green, I read how to SLAM a pool, thinking I'd have to do that to get rid of algae, but I don't have a FAS-DPD test, nor can I get one in time. So I bought a case of sodium hypochlorote (liquid 12%).

At 9pm tonight I poured 1 gallon in by the return. I read that slamming requires 10 oz of liquid shock for every 1ppm increase in free chlorine. The CYA/free chlorine chart said I needed to get my FC up to 20 ppm for slamming. That would be 200 oz, which is more than the 128 oz in my gallon jug. I have more i could add, but here's my dilemma.

I'm thinking that maybe I didn't have algae after all. The water is clear blue now and FC is high because of the gallon of shock. My CYA is higher than I wanted, so now I'm worried that it's going to take a long time for the free chlorine to come down to swimmable levels. I don't want to go out there tonight and add even more liquid shock if I don't need to, epecially since I cannot do a true SLAM because I cannot measure free chlorine with the accuracy needed, and I won't be able to tell if there has been more than 1ppm loss of free chlorine overnight (because of my run of the mill Taylor chlorine drop test).

That's why I'm reaching out here. What I do will depend on what I think caused the green water. What do you think? If the water is clear and blue and balanced and stabilized, is it safe to swim in once the chlorine levels come down to 4-5ppm?

UPDATE: This morning, I ran tests:
CYA: barely visible, maybe 20 at most? Yesterday it registered 50. Granted, my CYA reagent expired in May 2023, but I'm not sure if expired reagent would cause an abnormally high or abnormally low reading. I'm adding more, as technically I only added about half of what I needed to yesterday, and was surprised at the 50 result earlier.
Total Alkalinity - perfect (110)
pH - super high, probably over 8.2. I used pH decreaser to get it down to normal range. Likely caused by the torrential downpours we're having here in the Northeast.
Free Chlorine: Now here's the weird part: It was OFF THE CHARTS again, but I decided to look at the expiration date on my free chlorine reagent. It showed 5/2023. Presumably that is still sorta okay. I tested with two other reagent bottles, one from 4/22 and another from 5/23, and both of those registered ZERO free chlorine. I used a different comparator for those last two, but when I tried using the first 5/2023 reagent in the 2nd comparator, the FC came back off the charts still. I guess I'll go with the "off the charts" reading and assume the reagents that returned a zero result are expired.
Pool looks crystal clear and blue today.

Any advice/input/tell me TLDR?? lol

First thing I would do is get your test kit in order. You don't mention what you have, but it seems you don't have a FAS-DPD test.

Order a proper test kit today. With your results all over the board, we could do more harm without good test results. Link-->Test Kits Compared

Until it gets here, add 3ppm of liquid chlorine PER DAY. Use pool math to help you. Link-->PoolMath

Do a bit of reading while you wait.
Pool Care Basics
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test <---We will do this test when you get your kit.
SLAM Process <---If you don't pass OCLT, then this is the process we will use to get your pool clear.

Proof --->How Clear is TFP Clear?

Thank you. I ordered this:

Taylor K-1515-A Drop Test Kit Fas-Dpd​

Says it will be here tomorrow.
I also ordered this for CYA:

Water-i.d. WATER TESTING EQUIPMENT Reagents for - Pool Lab & PoolWaterLAB (CyA-Test (Photometer/Comparator/Nessler))​

Won't be here until Tuesday. Hopefully it gives accurate readings, never tried it.
Thanks for your help.
Assuming my Free Chlorine is over 10 most of tonight and tomorrow (lowered FC level needed for shock since my CYA wasn't as high as I thought), do I still need to SLAM or is shocking enough?
What do you think was causing the green tint?

Also, I have been using the Taylor brand test kits. K2005 (for the one that expired 5/23 and was used last year), and a smaller K1003 that only tests FC up to 5ppm, which also has an expiration of 5/23 (bought a month ago). The third FC reagent was in a larger bottle from last year, also expired 5/23.

We dont shock pools. Thats dump and pray.
We SLAM them If needed. "Shock level and maintain"
You'll need a proper test kit as instructed above

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you. I ordered this:

Taylor K-1515-A Drop Test Kit Fas-Dpd​

Says it will be here tomorrow.
I also ordered this for CYA:

Water-i.d. WATER TESTING EQUIPMENT Reagents for - Pool Lab & PoolWaterLAB (CyA-Test (Photometer/Comparator/Nessler))​

Won't be here until Tuesday. Hopefully it gives accurate readings, never tried it.
Thanks for your help.
Assuming my Free Chlorine is over 10 most of tonight and tomorrow (lowered FC level needed for shock since my CYA wasn't as high as I thought), do I still need to SLAM or is shocking enough?
I don't understand what you are ordering. The K-1515 is fine for FAS-DPD. All your other reagents are likely old. Why not just by the entire kit and be done?

The stuff you bough is for CYA is for a PoolWaterLab photometry tool. Do you have a PoolWaterLab?

I would just order one of the recommended kits. Link-->Test Kits Compared

We need to test everything, not just FAS-DPD FC.

As for SLAMMING, do the OCLT when your FAS-DPD arrives. That will tell us what to do.

Okay, so until my FAS-DPD kit arrives tomorrow, and the proper CYA test kit arrives Tuesday, what should I do? Keep adding 30 oz of liquid shock daily as PooStored said? (10 oz for every 1ppm increase in FC).
Yes.

We are going to find out. Are you on well water? Can you post a picture of the pool water.

Also, fill out your signature...

Yes on the advice from Poolstored.

Did you read the article about test kits? You are kinda all over the place with what you are doing now. We really cant give you solid, accurate advise based on expired reagents or test results from test kits that we don't use. I.e. the cya test that you ordered.

I don't understand what you are ordering. The K-1515 is fine for FAS-DPD. All your other reagents are likely old. Why not just by the entire kit and be done?

The stuff you bough is for CYA is for a PoolWaterLab photometry tool. Do you have a PoolWaterLab?

I would just order one of the recommended kits. Link-->Test Kits Compared

We need to test everything, not just FAS-DPD FC.
I cannot get an online-purchased Taylor K-2006C kit delivered until 7/21. There are no kits here in my area. That's why I got the K1515.
Other than the free chlorine reagent, the other reagents in my Taylor K-2005 kit (expired 5/23) seem to be still functioning.
The Taylor K1003 kit I purchased last month at a store nearby will be returned today, and I will ask for a kit that has not already expired. ;-) When the store gives me a K1003 kit that hasn't expired, it will be able to test TA, pH, so I'm covered there.
As for the CYA test kit, you're right, it's just the tablets I ordered and not the machine. I canceled that order and placed an order for TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC R-0013-E CYANURIC ACID, but that won't be here until Tuesday. (I already have a CYA cylnider with A/B levels for testing, just need the reagent).
So...until all my test chemicals get here, I guess I'm stuck adding 30 oz of liquid shock every day. Then I'll do the overnight OCLT test when I get the K1515 kit in the mail.
Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a side note, after we filled the pool with hose water, we fished out the winterizing container (the big plastic white sealed container that we poked holes in last fall to release the winterized chemicals, which stays in the pool all winter). This container may have been in the refilled pool water overnight, at least for the entire time it took to fill the pool with the hose (about 10-14 hours).
Do you still have this bucket of mystery chemicals? If so take a pic of the label or post a link of the product.
Btw- we don’t recommend “magic pills” or mystery buckets for winterizing.
Just a properly balanced confirmed algae free pool, sufficient fc & possibly some polyquat 60.

Do you still have this bucket of mystery chemicals? If so take a pic of the label or post a link of the product.
Btw- we don’t recommend “magic pills” or mystery buckets for winterizing.
Just a properly balanced confirmed algae free pool, sufficient fc & possibly some polyquat 60.
I used the product In the Swim winterizing kit, it's the white object on the left:
2023-07-16_11-48-59.jpg
This is what the In The Swim winterizing kit says about the big white plastic thing we left in the pool all winter "Dispenses a set amount of non-chlorine chemical for your pool months after its been covered. It's key in removing carbon dioxide from the water eliminating a primary food source for algae. Simply poke the holes on the floater until you reach your pool’s volume of water or gallons specified on it." So I guess it didn't have chlorine in it. I'll have to explore the TFP method of winterizing this fall.

It is 4# of boric acid.
IMG_6860.jpeg

Here’s what that looks like in your pool once dissolved.
IMG_6861.jpeg
Here’s their claim👇
  • Time-release winter pool floater dispenses a unique oxidizer which eliminates carbon dioxide from the pool water, starving algae of its main food source.
As far as I know boric acid is not much of an oxidizer & any algeastatic properties are not realized until there’s a level of 30-50ppm of borates in the water. Even then it is only a mild effect. So I call most of that bologna.
@JoyfulNoise can educate a bit further on that.
Pretty much everything in that kit is unnecessary for winterizing except maybe the sequesterant (which it seems like you might possibly need in your case).
Here’s how to deal with iron if that seems to be the problem - note the polyfill option

That claim is ENTIRELY BOGUS. Borates do not interact at all with carbon dioxide. You can find that claim plastered all over the internet and it is entirely untrue. @chem geek debunked it years ago in multiple threads.

Borates are a mild algaestat at best but, even at our recommended 50ppm level, the algaestatic properties are weak. You need to be up around 150-200ppm for it to become really toxic to aquatic organisms.

Reactions: Mdragger88
This is long, so bear with me...I figured this was the place to post this, as there are a lot of pool nerds here who might dig the details...

Pool: above ground 12x24 oval, 52" depth, New England. History: we did not open the pool until 2 days ago. The water under the pool cover was blue and clear with almost no debris after sitting winterized for 10 months. However, our skimmer container was cracked, so we had to replace that, which meant draining the pool completely (so the holes would line up properly with the existing holes in our pool liner, which was stretching downward somewhat because of the weight of the water). Anyway, that doesn't really matter, all that matters is that we had to drain the pool to make the repair. We did not get inside the pool to scrub or wash the liner when it was empty, mainly because it didn't look dirty. Then we filled the pool right after completing the repair.

Here is where is gets strange. As we filled the pool with hose water, we noticed that the water in the pool was green, not super dark green but sort of a greenish yellow, but mostly clear. It wasn't cloudy and there were no clumps of algae. After the pool was filled to the top, there was a definite green color. In many years past, whenever we fill the pool from our hose, it is always looks crystal clear and blue, even if it has zero chlorine in it at first.

So I used a Taylor drop kit to test the green water. My test kit only shows up to 5 ppm, but the chlorine was off the chart, super dark. I tried another Taylor test kit I had fun last year that had just expired (not sure that matters) and this one measured up to 10 ppm, could have been higher who knows.

The CYA in the pool was zero. Total alkalinity was 30. pH was low, can't recall the value because i don't pay much attention to pH until total alkalinity is ok To make sure our municipal water supply did not have high chlorine levels, I tested the water coming straight from the hose, and it had zero chlorine.

So. Why the green water?

Was it algae growth because we opened our pool too late? Had there been invisible algae on the pool walls and we just didn't notice, and once water got in there the algae just perked up and bloomed fast?

Or...

Was there so much chlorine from the winterizing container that it superchlorinated the fresh hose water enough to turn it green?

I still don't know.

So here is what I did. Yesterday around 6pm I adjusted the total alkalinity. This morning I retested TA and it was good, and the pool was slightly less green. Then I adjusted the pH to proper levels. The pool was definitely getting even less green. I tested the free chlorine again and surprise! It was zero. So I added chlorine stabilizer to get it up to 50 (I was aiming for 40 but whatever) and planned to add liquid shock after sunset. The pool seemed pretty clear and blue by early afternoon. Almost good enough to swim in.

Back when the water was green, I read how to SLAM a pool, thinking I'd have to do that to get rid of algae, but I don't have a FAS-DPD test, nor can I get one in time. So I bought a case of sodium hypochlorote (liquid 12%).

At 9pm tonight I poured 1 gallon in by the return. I read that slamming requires 10 oz of liquid shock for every 1ppm increase in free chlorine. The CYA/free chlorine chart said I needed to get my FC up to 20 ppm for slamming. That would be 200 oz, which is more than the 128 oz in my gallon jug. I have more i could add, but here's my dilemma.

I'm thinking that maybe I didn't have algae after all. The water is clear blue now and FC is high because of the gallon of shock. My CYA is higher than I wanted, so now I'm worried that it's going to take a long time for the free chlorine to come down to swimmable levels. I don't want to go out there tonight and add even more liquid shock if I don't need to, epecially since I cannot do a true SLAM because I cannot measure free chlorine with the accuracy needed, and I won't be able to tell if there has been more than 1ppm loss of free chlorine overnight (because of my run of the mill Taylor chlorine drop test).

That's why I'm reaching out here. What I do will depend on what I think caused the green water. What do you think? If the water is clear and blue and balanced and stabilized, is it safe to swim in once the chlorine levels come down to 4-5ppm?

UPDATE: This morning, I ran tests:
CYA: barely visible, maybe 20 at most? Yesterday it registered 50. Granted, my CYA reagent expired in May 2023, but I'm not sure if expired reagent would cause an abnormally high or abnormally low reading. I'm adding more, as technically I only added about half of what I needed to yesterday, and was surprised at the 50 result earlier.
Total Alkalinity - perfect (110)
pH - super high, probably over 8.2. I used pH decreaser to get it down to normal range. Likely caused by the torrential downpours we're having here in the Northeast.
Free Chlorine: Now here's the weird part: It was OFF THE CHARTS again, but I decided to look at the expiration date on my free chlorine reagent. It showed 5/2023. Presumably that is still sorta okay. I tested with two other reagent bottles, one from 4/22 and another from 5/23, and both of those registered ZERO free chlorine. I used a different comparator for those last two, but when I tried using the first 5/2023 reagent in the 2nd comparator, the FC came back off the charts still. I guess I'll go with the "off the charts" reading and assume the reagents that returned a zero result are expired.
Pool looks crystal clear and blue today.

Any advice/input/tell me TLDR?? lol
Green water and high FC can also mean a lot of iron in the water.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.