Sand pump

Chuck2472

Aug 4, 2023
Florence Arizona
Sand pump not stopping the dirt from going back into the pool when vacuuming. Can’t get the dirt out it just goes right back in the pool. Is it just because it won’t catch fine dirt. I heard that maybe if I put a chemical in it, it helps to clump it together I backwash it and everything it’s still doesn’t. Please let me know.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: We need a bit more info to help. Let's start with the following:
- Some pics of your equipment pad & pool.
- Full set of water test results
- How do you normally chlorinate each day?
- Have you added any pool store products to the water lately?
- How old is your filter?
- Have you ever done a sand deep cleaning?

I have another guess - algae. OP, are you able to pick up some of the residue with your fingers? Or does it poof away when you try to touch it?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: We need a bit more info to help. Let's start with the following:
IMG_5495.jpeg
IMG_5493.jpegIMG_5493.jpeg

The pool is sitting on top of three-quarter inch treated plywood to tarps and the pool tarp it came with. The pool is brand new this summer and has been up for about two months. I test my water at the pool place weekly they always tell me my levels are perfect. I have two chlorine floater’s, which have two 3 inch Clorox xtra blue tabs in each one. I have backwashed. I’ve also looked at the sand. Looks like there’s a lot of debris in there. I did add pool and spa shock extra blue, 6 in 1 shock looks like 1 pound for 12,000 gallons even though the pool place told me not to add it but I didn’t need it. After I added it the next day I went and tested the water. They just said that my pool had a little more chlorine didn’t need it. It was like a hotel pool then to make sure to take a shower after dinner now I brush my pool daily. I run my pump 7 to 8 hours a day. I did not get no test result paper back, but if you would like me to go and test it again, I would. Thank you. I hope this is everything you need it if not, let me know. Sorry for taking so long to respond.

The pool is sitting on top of three-quarter inch treated plywood to tarps and the pool tarp it came with. The pool is brand new this summer and has been up for about two months. I test my water at the pool place weekly they always tell me my levels are perfect. I have two chlorine floater’s, which have two 3 inch Clorox xtra blue tabs in each one. I have backwashed. I’ve also looked at the sand. Looks like there’s a lot of debris in there. I did add pool and spa shock extra blue, 6 in 1 shock looks like 1 pound for 12,000 gallons even though the pool place told me not to add it but I didn’t need it. After I added it the next day I went and tested the water. They just said that my pool had a little more chlorine didn’t need it. It was like a hotel pool then to make sure to take a shower after dinner now I brush my pool daily. I run my pump 7 to 8 hours a day. I did not get no test result paper back, but if you would like me to go and test it again, I would. Thank you. I hope this is everything you need it if not, let me know. Sorry for taking so long to respond.
Also, I live in Arizona where it’s hotter than Crud and there is farmland right behind me, but they are not for me but we just had a massive dust storm right before ever since then I cannot get it clear pretty sure it’s not algae. The filter catches some of it but by time I get done vacuuming the spots I vacuumed are covered again not as bad.

You need a good test kit like this:

Test Kits Compared

The pool store numbers are not usually accurate and many times they are way off.

You could be suffering from your dry dusty landscape, but you need proper test numbers to know if your chemistry is out of whack. Also, those floaters aren’t doing you any favors. They contain copper, which you certainly don't need in your pool, and they also will increase CYA. You need CYA, but if you have too much you will struggle to keep your chlorine at an effective level, and the only solution is to drain water.

FC/CYA Levels

We have members who live in dry dusty areas but their pools are crystal clear. You can have same, but 1st step is to test yourself so you know your numbers.
How Clear is TFP Clear?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have enough or too much CYA, you don’t want to use pucks at all. You want to use liquid chlorine, or plain, no additives bleach.

So use LC or bleach until your test kit arrives. Use PoolMath to help you know how much to add, daily.

PoolMath

I encourage you to check out this material while you wait for kit. It’s very easy to maintain once you get the basics under your belt.

Pool Care Basics

If you have enough or too much CYA, you don’t want to use pucks at all. You want to use liquid chlorine, or plain, no additives bleach.

So use LC or bleach until your test kit arrives. Use PoolMath to help you know how much to add, daily.

PoolMath

I encourage you to check out this material while you wait for kit. It’s very easy to maintain once you get the basics under your belt.

Pool Care Basics
Ty

It poofs away
I‘m thinking algae, so let’s maintain until you get your test kit. You can post your first test results here in this thread - just copy this list and enter your own numbers:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CYA

I’m a little confused about your numbers. BR? Do you mean bromine?

And the CC - did you mean TC (total chlorine?)

Your PH is fine. Did you get a number for CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.