East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My spa heater has an issue where it trips HL2 frequently as it is heating the water to 104 - the trip occurs shortly before reaching the high temperature. I typically reset the error but cycling the mode on the spa heater's physical control to off and back to spa - it then lights and reaches its proper temperature. Last year I tried to fix the problem by changing the limit switch itself (adding a heat paste), changing the internal bypass, changing the unitherm governor and adding a heat shield. Nothing fixed the problem and its very hard to duplicate - happens some days and not others. Probably happens more on hot humid days and there is minimal ventilation where the heater sits (and a tree over it). After my experience and reading a few others who have the same problem, I decided to live with it.

But I do have a question that perhaps someone better schooled in RayPak could answer. Might there be a way to automate the reset process? I control the heat and temperature from my iPhone using Jandy automation. Obviously I cant add a function to Jandy to fix an HL2 error, but perhaps I could add a power relay to reset the heater? It would be great if I could get the reset done without having to trek into the pool equipment pad. I know when the problem occurs because spa temperature is in the 90s and not 104 as set.

Any thoughts?

I bought the relay and planned to install tomorrow. But today when hi limit tripped as it frequently does, I tried to reset by powering off Raypak at its switch. This failed to reset. Unit said “press mode to reset”. Ultimately I did this (pressing mode twice to go to off then spa). But my goal is to not have to physically go to heater and do reset from my iPhone. Might Raypak need more time without power?

Note: I have a polymer unit. Manual says:
High limit 2 open. For ASME units ONLY, this is a manual-reset fault. Press the MODE button to reset.
I would think the MODE requirement is only for ASME units. Might there be a tab on the circuit board that is set wrong so unit thinks I am ASME?

1poolman1 Any ideas? Poolbreh or anyone else with experience with these errors on RayPaks. Just to reiterate where i started - I have replaced all the common culprits and tried the heat shield. It seems that the problem occurs just before the unit hits its high temperature. One solution I used last year was to warm the spa to 100, let it stabilize there, and then ad the final 4 degrees to 104. But that is much harder to implement for other members the family when I am not around.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.