Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hi. So I am going thru a re-plaster on one of my rental properties and am faced with some issues with the answers I get from my Pool Contractor (PC)
this is a 22K in ground pool. Based on contractor measurements, 575sqft. we did a full chip out. I had the contractor specify the Brand of plaster (Universal Finest Finish - Island series) to use as well as the number of batches (5 in our case with 14 bags for each batch) in our contract. '
When i got to the job site (2h after start of the plastering), I counted the number of bags that were used and the crew (subs) only used 42 bags of the agreed upon plaster and an additional 12 bags of CIM SA super white porland cement. Adding these 2 items it comes up to 54 bags for a total of barely 4 batches.
When I confronted the PC, the answer was that the crew knows what they are doing (PC has a good track record with them) and they use what they need based on the situation (wind, temperature, chip out I assume). Does anybody have faced a similar issue ? Do the quantity of batches matter ?
I feel like they took a short cut by not using what we agreed upon to save some $$.
Besides, the original warranty was thru the manufacturer, but knowing that the crew mixed it with some other cement, that warranty might not be valid anymore.
In his response to the issue, the PC added 3 years to the warranty (for a total of 10) and $750 comp.
has anybody been faced with a similar situation and faced a reduced batch use in the re-plaster.

I cannot speak regarding the warranty issue, but based on my experience as a former plasterer many years ago, about 4,000 lbs. of plaster material is needed to lay down an appropriate one-half inch thickness for a pool that size.

Thanks for the early replies. trying to get in touch with Universal. will keep updating once i get more info from Universal.
@onBalance. so in terms of quantity it looks in line (42x80 + 12*90). would the 4,000lbs be valid even if the pool was entirely chipped out ?

thanks for the clarification. at least I'm in the ballpark...probably got overcharged then since i was quoted for 5 batches of 14 bags.
still waiting on Universal to get back to me on why they mixed the bags. The island series is used as is. its pre-mixed. takes the guesswork out of the mixer
will update

Reactions: kimkats
having a hard time to get someone at Universal to help me in my request.
so I am wondering if there is any plasterer or Pool contractor on this site who uses the Universal Finest Finish Island series (pre mix). and if you do, could you please post a picture of an actual bag. That would be a tremendous help. I am starting to think my PC did not use the material/plaster agreed upon and used either a "copy" of the product or made a mix out of 2 different items, one showing as beeing Universal FF material (white marble ???)

having a hard time to get someone at Universal to help me in my request.
so I am wondering if there is any plasterer or Pool contractor on this site who uses the Universal Finest Finish Island series (pre mix). and if you do, could you please post a picture of an actual bag. That would be a tremendous help. I am starting to think my PC did not use the material/plaster agreed upon and used either a "copy" of the product or made a mix out of 2 different items, one showing as beeing Universal FF material (white marble ???)
Some plaster colors are mixed from multiple base colors. Possible they did that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
none of these look like what they used for our pool.
the exact description was : Universal white Cement/Finest Finish white Island series.
here are 2 pictures of what was actually used. maybe that can help.

Attachments

• left over bags - IMG_20230330_085236319_HDR.jpg
    left over bags - IMG_20230330_085236319_HDR.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Univ bag used - IMG_20230330_085251049_HDR.jpg
    Univ bag used - IMG_20230330_085251049_HDR.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 43
Finest Finish White is one of the Island Series colors.

Some materials are too gritty to pump well, so extra white cement is added to make it more creamy and easier to pump - usually only 1 bag per mix maximum. I'd be a little concerned that the mix was too rich, but if it looks good after filling (no check cracks) then it should be fine.

With the added warranty and $750 you probably came out ahead.

Thank you all for all the info and helping me get some answers.
I was finally able to get someone at Universal to get me some answers and @MARP-Austin you hit the nail. This was exactly what I was told by Universal. So it does explain why they added white cement, eventhough they added much more than 1 bag per mix (looks more like 3 per batch).
In regards to the brown bags without notation of Island Series, that is actually the correct bags for the white FF IS.
Awesome site. Appreciate you'll.

Reactions: MAPR-Austin
In regards to the brown bags without notation of Island Series, that is actually the correct bags for the white FF IS.
Awesome site. Appreciate you'll.
The forum is manned by volunteers that answers questions and provide guidance. Keeping the website highly functional with the latest technology is key to making the forum workable and enjoyable. Please consider and Become a TFP Supporter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.