BelleNC

Dec 18, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I am a first time pool owner. I did research on pool builders in the area. Ultimately after many good reviews, though certainly not the cheapest, I selected what I thought to be a reputable builder.

***My concern is how picky should I be and where how should I put my foot down. Would love to hear from another builder with experience.

Pool details:
-Inground 36x18' - 3 ft to 6 ft depth
-Vinyl liner
-Fiberglass steps
-Concrete has 5' on two sides, 10' on third side, and 20' on the final side with the fiberglass steps.

Here are my concerns:

1. The fiberglass steps are very obviously not level. The water will sit on the right side of the top step and not the left. There is a 3/4" difference. It did not settle.
2. Additionally, the concrete on the lower side slopes toward the steps, not away (more concrete issues discussed later). The contractor placed thick caulk between the steps and the concrete. He stated the caulk would last ten years. Within a couple days it has major cracks and water can enter.
3. The concrete was poured on a day when heavy rain was expected mid-day. Mid-day the storm came through, after pouring, and they paused. The concrete (especially compared to my back patio done by another company) looks terrible and the concrete company admitted it, apologized, and explained they did the best they could but it had begun drying.
The concrete finish is smooth in some places and rough in others, you can see the lines where they used a trowel, additionally the expansion gaps are not symmetrical from one side to the other and they are not lined up (one goes at an angle left where one is straight).
4. The concrete has cracked at expansion gaps which I expect. There are who cracks in symmetrical locations on each side (one worse than the other).
5. The ladder is not level
6. One light stopped working *This was replaced and no longer an issue.
7. Leak - The pool has been loosing approximately 1 inch of water a day. The contractor was notified and has been working for months to locate the leak. I have filled the pool three times from my well. The leak appears to be in the bottom of the deep end area as water water loss continues when the pool is really low.
The contractor has dug a 5 foot deep trench where the pipes go into the ground.
He cut out and replaced part of the drain line. He took the cut out section to his shop, pressure tested it and said it held pressure.
The contractor has now hired an independent leak detection company who came out last week. They dove the pool and were unable to locate a leak in the liner, seams, or around the drains. They completed a pressure test on the plumbing. The main drain line is not holding pressure but only a very slow leak. Small bubbles were seen coming up from the repaired pipe (water in ground from leak in hole dug around pipes) however only at max pressure. At 2500 there were no bubbles.
The third party leak detection senior staff member is coming back out this week with the contractor to check again.
8. Will I have long term issues from the leak that's been leaking since the end of July? Is there any way to find out now if there are issues. The pool has a one year warranty.... what if it settles from this in two years?

The concrete company stated they would guarantee the concrete from settling or further deteriorated finish for five years instead of one.

Obviously the leak will need to be repaired but do I push the issue with the steps? ladder? concrete?

I know this is lengthy. I appreciate the responses. I have attached photographsIMG_3667.jpgIMG_3684.jpegIMG_3683.jpegIMG_3533.jpegIMG_3629.jpegIMG_3638.jpegIMG_3682.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to TFP. I am SO sorry we are meeting this way.

You are NOT being "picky" you are asking for your pool to be done the correct way.
-Steps unlevel=redone
-concrete=redone
-wrinkles that big =redone
-leaking from main drain=redone (the water went some where and it may have moved the dirt with it. Have you been able to go down to that area and see if it has any holes or such?)
-ladder unlevel=redone

Me? I would have them remove the liner (note 99.9% of liners that are removed can not be reused) to see why the steps are unlevel and do make them level. I would also make them remove the liner to see how much damage was done from the leak. Remove the liner to see why the ladder is unlevel and fix it.

SO..............they need to remove the liner to see what happened and to fix all of the problems. THEN they need to make sure get that liner tight as can be without huge wrinkles in it.

THEN I would make the jack hammer out the concrete and redo it OR pay for some one to put "cool deck" on it to "hide" the bad areas.

Good luck!

I am a first time pool owner. I did research on pool builders in the area. Ultimately after many good reviews, though certainly not the cheapest, I selected what I thought to be a reputable builder.

***My concern is how picky should I be and where how should I put my foot down. Would love to hear from another builder with experience.

Pool details:
-Inground 36x18' - 3 ft to 6 ft depth
-Vinyl liner
-Fiberglass steps
-Concrete has 5' on two sides, 10' on third side, and 20' on the final side with the fiberglass steps.

Here are my concerns:

1. The fiberglass steps are very obviously not level. The water will sit on the right side of the top step and not the left. There is a 3/4" difference. It did not settle.
2. Additionally, the concrete on the lower side slopes toward the steps, not away (more concrete issues discussed later). The contractor placed thick caulk between the steps and the concrete. He stated the caulk would last ten years. Within a couple days it has major cracks and water can enter.
3. The concrete was poured on a day when heavy rain was expected mid-day. Mid-day the storm came through, after pouring, and they paused. The concrete (especially compared to my back patio done by another company) looks terrible and the concrete company admitted it, apologized, and explained they did the best they could but it had begun drying.
The concrete finish is smooth in some places and rough in others, you can see the lines where they used a trowel, additionally the expansion gaps are not symmetrical from one side to the other and they are not lined up (one goes at an angle left where one is straight).
4. The concrete has cracked at expansion gaps which I expect. There are who cracks in symmetrical locations on each side (one worse than the other).
5. The ladder is not level
6. One light stopped working *This was replaced and no longer an issue.
7. Leak - The pool has been loosing approximately 1 inch of water a day. The contractor was notified and has been working for months to locate the leak. I have filled the pool three times from my well. The leak appears to be in the bottom of the deep end area as water water loss continues when the pool is really low.
The contractor has dug a 5 foot deep trench where the pipes go into the ground.
He cut out and replaced part of the drain line. He took the cut out section to his shop, pressure tested it and said it held pressure.
The contractor has now hired an independent leak detection company who came out last week. They dove the pool and were unable to locate a leak in the liner, seams, or around the drains. They completed a pressure test on the plumbing. The main drain line is not holding pressure but only a very slow leak. Small bubbles were seen coming up from the repaired pipe (water in ground from leak in hole dug around pipes) however only at max pressure. At 2500 there were no bubbles.
The third party leak detection senior staff member is coming back out this week with the contractor to check again.
8. Will I have long term issues from the leak that's been leaking since the end of July? Is there any way to find out now if there are issues. The pool has a one year warranty.... what if it settles from this in two years?

The concrete company stated they would guarantee the concrete from settling or further deteriorated finish for five years instead of one.

Obviously the leak will need to be repaired but do I push the issue with the steps? ladder? concrete?

I know this is lengthy. I appreciate the responses. I have attached photographsView attachment 545096View attachment 545097View attachment 545098View attachment 545099View attachment 545100View attachment 545101View attachment 545102
You really need to get the leak fixed before knowing what else could happen. Having “only a slow leak” is similar to being just a little bit pregnant… it’s either leaking or it’s not, no middle ground options.

I can’t see the step issue or the concrete issue so hard to say much about those.

All of your concerns are legit.
I am not familiar with the exact process of vinyl liner pool installations but I am familiar with good trade practices.
Supervision of each trade is crucial in order to not allow imperfections to continue to the end of the project and be dealt with when it will be more time consuming and more costly.
Your builders expectations should always be higher than yours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.