Replace Pool Pumps suggestions

skygremlin

Apr 20, 2012
Orange County, CA
Hi all, I think we've gotten to a point of having to replace some of our pumps. Below is what I'll be replacing. Looking for suggestions? The pumps themselves are running, but are starting to sound like bearings going or maybe cavitation. I'm hearing some "knocking" inside. I’ve also had a couple neighbors comment that they can hear when they start up every morning for my daily runtime. Today I walked down 2 houses while they were running and I could still hear them... If it's cavitation is that the pump, or could that be something more in my circulation / plumbing? I only hear on the 2 spa pumps not my Pentair VS that is my main circulation pump.

They were in pretty rough shape when we moved into the house 5 years ago, but again were working and were not at the top of my priority list. We’re also going to be upgrading our AquaLink to the WiFi version. For the past year or so we’ve had issues with devices randomly starting and stopping (mainly the heater) as well as other little things happening. I’ve reset the unit multiple times, still having issues. I had to get up the other night and run out back to manually turn off the heater cause it started on its own. I want something more user friendly too for other family members and friends.

With regards to the pumps at this point in time I’m not brand loyal... But I guess I wouldn't mind sticking with either the Pentair or Hayward, but seeing as the ones I want to replace are Hayward might be easier to replace with Hayward. I am really happy with my Pentair VS though.

Most important to me is noise, as stated above they’re pretty loud. My main pump is a Pentair Intelliflow VS and I can barely hear that running standing right next to it.

I hope the descriptions below make sense. My understanding is the Hayward Northstar pump is a model that can have the NorthStar Motor replaced and continue to use the water flow casings..

All Pumps are 220V:
- Spa Jets / Booster pump: Currently a Hayward Northstar pump with a Century Centurion Motor 2.0 Hp —> I was thinking of changing this to a VS to control the power of the jets on demand. But not sure if thats possible

- Spa Water Fall: Currently a Hayward Northstar pump motor 1.0 Hp

- Pool Water Fall and slide: Currently a Hayward Northstar pump 2.0 Hp —> This one might be OK for a bit. Definitely the lesser priority than the other 2

thanx all

More than likely it is bearings. Cavitation would only happen if there was severe restriction on the suction side of the pump. But you would know that with a much lower than normal filter pressure. If in doubt, post a video with sound.

And yes, you can just replace the motor or even just the bearings if you know how to do that. There are some after market VS motors that would work on those wet ends but it depends on the THP (Label HP * Service Factor) of the current motors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.