Need help connecting Hayward Tristar VS SP3202VSP to Aqua Logic AQL-P-4

gtandy

Jul 11, 2023
Hi Guys. My old Hayward Northstar single speed pump (2006 vintage) died and I have purchased a new Hayward Tristar SP3202VSP to replace. Pool uses an Aqualogic AQL-P-4 controller (see picture). I need help with wiring the new VS pump with my older Aqualogic AQL-P-4. I tried contacting Hayward, but they only offered to connect me with local Hayward authorized service providers. Any thoughts or available wiring diagrams ?IMG_4991.jpgIMG_4990.jpgIMG_4992.jpg

Thanks James for the prompt response:

Some quick questions.
1) My pump is actually Hayward Tristar 3200VSP and not Tristar 3200VSPND. According to your installation instructions, it says I need the ND version. Can you confirm ? I'm guessing the ND means "No Display" so if I just remove the computer display on top of my pump I will have an ND pump and then I can follow wiring diagram ?
2) According to the first wiring diagram, I will need to connect 2 wires between pump and control board. Diagram also shows dotted line for COMM connection. Do I need to connect COMM wire or not ?
3) Can you confirm dip switch settings on pump (SW200). Should they all be on or off ?
4) Are there any dip switches on Prologic board that need to be changed ? The statement in above instructions "THE PUMP ADDRESS MUST BE SET USING THE SW200 DIP SWITCH ON THE DRIVE PCB" and the corresponding table is a little confusing so I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

After receiving your responses to my questions, I will then direct wire the pump and change Prologic configuration to "VARIABLE SPEED" vs current "1 SPEED" and confirm that everything works.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Greg

I have purchased a new Hayward Tristar SP3202VSP

My pump is actually Hayward Tristar 3200VSP and not Tristar 3200VSPND.
Can you show the label with the model number?
According to the first wiring diagram, I will need to connect 2 wires between pump and control board.
Correct.
Diagram also shows dotted line for COMM connection. Do I need to connect COMM wire or not ?
That's COM as in Common, which is the opposite side of the 12 volts and you should not need that.

1689172007619.png
Can you confirm dip switch settings on pump (SW200). Should they all be on or off ?
I think that they should be all off.

Last edited:
Terminals A (#2) and B (#3) are for communications.

Terminals 1 and 4 are for supplying power (12 volts) to a remote device that needs power.

The pump and controller not not need the power supply since they have their own power, so you only need the communications wires.

1689172118494.png

Can you show the label with the model number?
Hi James. I will be picking up pump later this week. I will send picture of pump label with model number once I pick up from store. I do not plan to install pump until I verify I can use with my current ProLogic board. Again, thanks for the help. I will be in touch later this week.

Reactions: JamesW
The Hayward Tristar 3200VSP and the Tristar 3200VSPND are obsolete and you should not get one of these.

Get a current model.

These are the current model numbers.

1689175565423.png

Reactions: BMerrill
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.