Quick gut check, please

carx7

Apr 29, 2021
Austin Texas
Hi all,

Long time reader. Limited content provider. Have been following guidance here for sometime but cannot seem to tackle current cloudy water/alge issue. Just looking for a gut check of my process.

Water is greenish/very cloudy. Some alge growing, but not the large amounts I've seen before. Past SLAM processes worked relatively quickly. This one is ongoing 2 weeks with zero progress.

Located Austin Texas
22k gallon pool
TFP test kit
hayward Cartridge filter 1.5 years old.
Chlorine tablets plus liquid chlorine when needed (yes, I need/want to convert to salt but have not)
CYA 50-60- have taken reading repeatedly over the last few weeks as I'm convinced I'm wrong due to lack of progress---- but I'm treating SLAM as CYA=60
FC- 24 per Pool math.
CC=0
PH 7.2- dropped before starting
TA = 90 - down from 140 a few months ago as I've been dropping PH and aerating per recommendations
CH- 300- not "ideal" but still "recommended" so I don't think this is causing cloudiness, but might be contributing to calcium buildup on my 360 overflow spa?

My OCLT tests are in the range of 2PPM, but my daily loss (today) was 3 for reference.

Series of events:
Water was clear and heated the pool from 70-85 for the kids to swim. Gradual heating over a week with heat pump.
FC was ~6-7 and kids swam.
Water was cloudy the next morning (dang kids!)
Tried to raise FC minimally to bring back but stayed cloudy for several days
Spent 1 weeks at SLAM levels (thinking CYA was 50 at the time) and saw zero progress. Limited algae when scrubbing.
Checked and cleaned filters last weekend- they greenish, but not horrible
Have been running pump on medium/high 24/7 for 2 weeks now.

Zero change in the pool. Other than continuing the process, am I missing anything?
If I missed any specs or tests please let me know.

Thanks for those taking the time to read and help.

-Chris

I would double/triple check your CYA especially if you are still using tabs.

In parallel to that I would also be searching for hiding places including stairs, lights, weir doors, etc.

I would double/triple check your CYA especially if you are still using tabs.

In parallel to that I would also be searching for hiding places including stairs, lights, weir doors, etc.
Thanks.
I hear you.
I check CYA again today and got 70.
So I check again, and then a 3rd time and got 50 and 60.

Regarding hiding places: I do have an Endless pool swim machine installed.... so I suppose there could be algae inside that? And now that we're talking, a mirror on the floor for swimming also... and I guess something could be under that mirror.

Little confused here, but shouldn't the high chlorine kill the algae? Or what part am I not fully understanding?

Thanks again for the quick check.

On the CYA test it’s just a quick glance and you either see the dot or you don’t. If you have a staring contest with it, you will always see the dot.

Sounds like lots of hiding spots for algae in your pool and I would scrub/check all of them. Many time algae will develop a protective barrier that will shield it from the chlorine. Once you scrub that off, then the chlorine can move in for the kill.

Reactions: Mdragger88
On the CYA test it’s just a quick glance and you either see the dot or you don’t. If you have a staring contest with it, you will always see the dot.

:oops:

OMG. I wish I read this a long time ago! HA! I've been thinking "wow, I knew CYA was subjective but this staring contest is intense!".

Time to order more test kit chemicals. sigh. at least I can laugh at myself.

• Haha
Reactions: JJ_Tex
Make sure you are using only fresh liquid chlorine, and test and re-dose as often as possible. Even every 2 hours if you can? The more the pool's FC stays up at SLAM process level, the faster this goes. And brush, brush, brush daily.

Remember: SHOCK Level AND Maintain are your goals.

Maddie :flower:

OMG. I wish I read this a long time ago! HA! I've been thinking "wow, I knew CYA was subjective but this staring contest is intense!".
Wanna see your brain lie to you ? Look at your nose. It's been there this whole time. Probably longer. 😁

:oops:

Time to order more test kit chemicals. sigh. at least I can laugh at myself.
Now to make you kick yourself more try this!! Only do CYA line by line then quick glance 😂😂 so much better

Appreciate all the feedback!

I did go move the mirror on my floor and after a quick floor scrub created a nice cloud. Check.
Also turned on my EndlessPool fan and also got a cloud. Yay.

So I'm the mirror around (too cold to retrieve!) and also kicking on the fan motor for the swim machine to make sure they're clear.

I'm doing a decent job of maintaining, probably need to do more brushing, and just bought more TF testing chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Posting and update for any future people who find this:

1) My CYA was WAY off. The post above about a "quick glance" or then "fill to the line and check, then fill to the next line check, etc" was the way to go. I thought I had CYA 50, but it was nearer 90. So my SLAM levels were totally off.
2) As mentioned above the use of the tablets was driving my CYA a bit up and my mis understadning of how to read CYA test has likely had me chronically under chlorinating my pool.

So, I abandoned my SLAM, partially drained the pool to reduce CYA, refilled, ordered a SWG and associated parts to work with my Omni logic, refilled the pool.

This morning I checked chemicals,
FC 7
CYA 60
Ph 7.8
Salt is 800PPM
Pool generally looks better.

Headed to the store for some salt and will install SWG today to try a move beyond all this shenanigans.

Reactions: IceShadow
Posting and update for any future people who find this:

1) My CYA was WAY off. The post above about a "quick glance" or then "fill to the line and check, then fill to the next line check, etc" was the way to go. I thought I had CYA 50, but it was nearer 90. So my SLAM levels were totally off.
2) As mentioned above the use of the tablets was driving my CYA a bit up and my mis understadning of how to read CYA test has likely had me chronically under chlorinating my pool.

So, I abandoned my SLAM, partially drained the pool to reduce CYA, refilled, ordered a SWG and associated parts to work with my Omni logic, refilled the pool.

This morning I checked chemicals,
FC 7
CYA 60
Ph 7.8
Salt is 800PPM
Pool generally looks better.

Headed to the store for some salt and will install SWG today to try a move beyond all this shenanigans.
I like your style 😎
A couple notes 📝
The pool may look clearer but be certain you have passed ALL 3 end of slam criteria before ending the slam process:
*CC is 0.5 or lower;
*You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
*the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)
A swg is a great maintainer but it can’t overcome an algae problem- better to be certain you’ve taken care of that first before relying on the swg.
The swg should be off for slam.

*Be sure to get the 40k gal cell (t15) for your size pool.
* Add 3/4 of what
PoolMath says for salt 🧂 - you don’t wanna overshoot.
Then let it circulate a day/24hrs & re test, add what else you need & let that circulate 24 hrs, re test & then turn on the swg to test it.
You can do the install & salt stuff whilst slamming just leave the swg off.

Reactions: newdude
Thanks for the reply.
I'm 100% aligned with the SLAM process. Unfortunately, I'm headed out of the country for my sons Wedding on Tuesday, so getting things right sized before then seems like a tall ask... but I'm pushing....

24hours later in this update....

Unfortunately, the physical install of the SWG took less than 30 minutes. The actual functioning of the SWG is still not working.
Just plugging the Hayward branded SWG into my Hayward Omni Logic panel causes the fuses to blow making my valve inoperable. I bought this SWG precisely to eliminate potential challenges like this.

I've tried everything I can think of, including ensuring the whole system power was off before connect the unit and simply powering on the mother board with the SWG plugged in but turned off caused the mother board fuse to blow.

Quite frustrated at the moment and will try to find an appropriate section to post this recent question to see if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm 100% aligned with the SLAM process. Unfortunately, I'm headed out of the country for my sons Wedding on Tuesday, so getting things right sized before then seems like a tall ask... but I'm pushing....

24hours later in this update....

Unfortunately, the physical install of the SWG took less than 30 minutes. The actual functioning of the SWG is still not working.
Just plugging the Hayward branded SWG into my Hayward Omni Logic panel causes the fuses to blow making my valve inoperable. I bought this SWG precisely to eliminate potential challenges like this.

I've tried everything I can think of, including ensuring the whole system power was off before connect the unit and simply powering on the mother board with the SWG plugged in but turned off caused the mother board fuse to blow.

Quite frustrated at the moment and will try to find an appropriate section to post this recent question to see if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks for reading.
Lets call a guy … ☎️ @JamesW

I'll read the above. Thanks!

I did just stumble across this thread and while the issue is different, I am reading a lot about solder joint issues.

For reference, My omni logic was installed 2 years ago and is on the latest firmware (just updated this past weekend).
The salt cell is a Hayward T15 so I just plugged in the Hayward cell into the Hayward board.

I'll have to go double check my error messages. One was something about a short, and one about Chlor 1.

Hi all, Checking back here. I had to go out of the country for my son's wedding and I'm back. Good news: my water is crystal clear and the chlorine looks great.... and considering I wasn't here to do ANYTHING for 8 days, I think the water is in good shape.

However, the SWG still does not work and is blowing fuses when I plug it into the Omni Logic. The Omni is 2 years old, brand new when installed and the Hayward SWG is brand new. I guess filing a warranty is my best option, but want to be sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.