Questions on pump size with DE filter and backwashing

Apr 14, 2013
Chandler, AZ
I'll be installing a new Hayward Tristar VS950 to replace a dead Ecostar 3400VSP and in doing some research came across some things I hadn't seen before.

I've read that you need to match your filter size to your pump size so that you don't overpower the filter. My pool builder designed my current system, so I assume it's all good. I have a Hayward DE 6020 filter that I've used with the 3400VSP for 7 years with no problem (that I know of), but I do have some questions on using the new pump when backwashing or draining the pool.

When backwashing, I normally run the pump at 100% power. Also, when draining my pool, I usually just run the pump at 100% through the main drains until the water level gets really low and then shut it off before it can suck in any air. I can drain the pool fairly quickly like this.

Does running the pump at 100% when backwashing or draining do any damage to the grids in the DE filter? Any concerns with running the pump at 100% for spa use or doing any manual vacuuming?

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks in advance!

Your DE 60 filter is a big filter that matches your big pump. It will not be a problem with your new Tristar pump.

Reactions: bacevedo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.