Question on return

May 2, 2013
Be gentle, newbie to inground pool... had above ground pools for over 20 years and haven’t run into this problem.

My friend purchased a house with an oval 20k gal inground pool. About 40% is 3’ deep then drops off to about 8’ deep. There is a single return jet and a single intake for the skimmer. Both are located midway down the length of the pool. They are about 3’ apart. The return jet shoots straight across the pool.

pH, chlorine, CYA levels are all good, tested 2 or 3 times a week. I brush the walls weekly, vacuum 2 or 3 times a week. Hit the pool with an extra .75 gallon of chlorine after heavy swim days.

I’ve noticed that algae builds up in the center of the shallow and deep end.

My thought is that the circulation is pretty much nonexistent creating dead spots. Im thinking I should get an adjustable return jet and point it down and towards the deep end and hopefully the intake for the skimmer would pull the water around thus improving the circulation.

Thoughts please?

Doug

Down and angled is how eyeballs should be positioned. Properly chlorinated pools can and do get algae growing in dead zones. Just brush it to get it in the water table where the chlorine will kill it. You will see the results in a day or two as the dead algae lays on the pool bottom.

Olay, the big question is about the currentreturn, it points directly across the pool. Straight ahead and it is not adjustable. Its held in place with 4 bolts. My concern is that the sn't good enough circulation to let the filter do its thing.

Hopefully replacing this return jet with one that has an adjustable eyeball that I'll point down and towards the deep end will improve circulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.