Question on my pool slam

Feb 6, 2013
Jupiter, Florida
Got some algae on the sides of my pool due to neglect of water chemistry (bought a boat and have been totally preoccupied). So I clean clean clean scrubbing every thing and then vacuum it out. Cleaned filter and got things in line chemistry-wise, CYA at 70, PH at 7.2 and decide to slam it. Added three jugs of liquid chlorine which brought the Free Chlorine up to 29 yesterday afternoon with combined chlorine at .4. Last night around 8pm still at 29 and a bit less CC. This morning at 7am, 29 with CC at .25 . Come home tonight and FC has dropped to 24.5 and CC at 0 or .1 or so? Obvious CC has dropped.

Questions - My PH is current up at about 8.0. Should that be adjusted while this slam is going on? Second question, should I add more chlorine to keep FC up to the 25 that is recommended? Or...is this slam done in such a short period of time, 1 day?

Thanks for any comments!

Hello! :wave: About your questions:
1 - No. The elevated FC is causing that.
2 - Yes, maintain the prescribed SLAM FC level based on your current CYA (see Chlorine/CYA Chart link below). That's very important. "Maintain" until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria (SLAM link also below). Hopefully in your case it won't take too long, but don't rush it. Make sure to pass all 3 items.

Good luck!

Hello! :wave: About your questions:
1 - No. The elevated FC is causing that.
2 - Yes, maintain the prescribed SLAM FC level based on your current CYA (see Chlorine/CYA Chart link below). That's very important. "Maintain" until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria (SLAM link also below). Hopefully in your case it won't take too long, but don't rush it. Make sure to pass all 3 items.

Good luck!

Thanks. I guess that was the part that was confusing me. I did pass all three last night. My water is clear, CC is negligible, far below the minimum, and the chlorine level was at 29 this morning which is the same as last night. However, I just started yesterday about noon. Can't be that quick with the amount of algae growing along the tile water line and in the shady corners. Anyway, I am continuing on. Just added 1.5 gallons or so of chlorine to bump it back up to 28. Will test it again in a couple of hours and then again in the morning and will post results. I know everyone is excited. Will probably be getting up early to check on me. :) Thanks for your comments.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.