Question about the pool equipment that was installed vs what is on the contract.

Salocin8

Jul 14, 2022
Columbus Ohio
Hi there! Our pool builder just installed the following equipment and I'm hoping to get some insight as to if this is better or worse than what we should have had installed?

Installed: Waterway Oasis Automation Controller
Contracted: Pentair Intelliconnect Screen Logic WiFi Enabled Pool Automation

Installed: Pentair Clean and Clear 150
Contracted: Sta-Rite Posi Clear 150 Cartridge Filter

Installed: Pentair Automatic In-Line Chlorine/Bromine Feeder Model #320
Contracted: CMP In-Line Chlorinator

Now I'm also questioning if this all looks right?

Attachments

• PXL_20230712_133350574.jpg
    PXL_20230712_133350574.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20230712_133359862.jpg
    PXL_20230712_133359862.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20230712_133411604.jpg
    PXL_20230712_133411604.jpg
    848.3 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20230712_133422282.jpg
    PXL_20230712_133422282.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 56
Hello, welcome to TFP :). My first question is how big is this pool? Its an inground pool, right?
Please do us a favor and go to the <Settings> and fill out a <Signature Line> describing your pool, equipment, how you test and chlorinate your pool. Thanks.
-I hope you didn't pay for the Pentair equipment because you didn't get its quality or reputation.
-I don't know who makes Waterway Oasis Automation but its not Pentair.
-You also have a non-Pentair filter (which is pretty small at that, larger is always better here, IMO)
-Here at TFP we don't like pucks or bromide... we are big believers in using either Liquid Chlorine daily or putting a salt system in which makes your chlorine automatically with the pool water.
@Jimrahbe

Maddie :flower:

My question would be why wouldn’t they install what you contracted and paid for ? Even if there are supply issues they should have asked you before swapping. that raises all sorts of flags for me as to what else could get the same treatment

Hello, welcome to TFP :). My first question is how big is this pool? Its an inground pool, right?
Please do us a favor and go to the <Settings> and fill out a <Signature Line> describing your pool, equipment, how you test and chlorinate your pool. Thanks.
-I hope you didn't pay for the Pentair equipment because you didn't get its quality or reputation.
-I don't know who makes Waterway Oasis Automation but its not Pentair.
-You also have a non-Pentair filter (which is pretty small at that, larger is always better here, IMO)
-Here at TFP we don't like pucks or bromide... we are big believers in using either Liquid Chlorine daily or putting a salt system in which makes your chlorine automatically with the pool water.
@Jimrahbe

Hi there and thank you! We have a lot of learning and research to do being first time pool owners. The pool is mostly finished, just waiting on the auto cover and for them to get everything cleaned.

The pool is 14'x35' fiberglass inground M-35 River Pool

My question would be why wouldn’t they install what you contracted and paid for ? Even if there are supply issues they should have asked you before swapping. that raises all sorts of flags for me as to what else could get the same treatment
Exactly my thoughts! I have no problem if the stuff they swapped for is an upgrade but if it's a downgrade then we're going to have a discussion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That was something the pool builder sold us on and highly recommended :cautious:. Since we do not have a fence and will have the autocover on, maybe this is a good thing? LOL, am I reaching?
Well, the thing is is that even with an autocover you should open it every 2-3 days and let the pool "breath". And of course you'll be swimming with it open at times.
Those UV devices on outdoor pools just add to the builders boat fund. I'm sorry. I've been a huge Debby Downer.

This is confusing. The Waterway Oasis is probably an upgrade from the Pentair IntelliConnect. However you have to confirm that the Waterway properly controls your VS pump and SWG which you have not listed.

In addition Screenlogic is a feature on the Pentair EasyTouch Automation system. The Waterway is not an upgrade to an EasyTouch system.

So did you intend to get the Pentair IntelliConnect or the EasyTouch?

Sta-Rite is manufactured by Pentair. Those are both the same with different branding and labels.

This is a wash and similar. Really you should delete the chlorinator and get a SWG.

The acid in the tablet chlorinator will murder your heater. Especially since it looks like a check valve was not installed between the chlorinator and heater output to try and prevent acid back-flow into the heater. Even with the check valve the acid eventually leaks around it to murder the heater.

Last edited:
This is confusing. The Waterway Oasis is probably an upgrade from the Pentair IntelliConnect. However you have to confirm that the Waterway properly controls your VS pump and SWG which you have not listed.

In addition Screenlogic is a feature on the Pentair EasyTouch Automation system. The Waterway is not an upgrade to an EasyTouch system.

So did you intend to get the Pentair IntelliConnect or the EasyTouch?

Sta-Rite is manufactured by Pentair. Those are both the same with different branding and labels.

This is a wash and similar. Really you should delete the chlorinator and get a SWG.

The acid in the tablet chlorinator will murder your heater. Especially since it looks like a check valve was not installed between the chlorinator and heater output to try and prevent acid back-flow into the heater. Even with the check valve the acid eventually leaks around it to murder the heater.
Thank you for the thorough info!

We were under the impression it would be the Pentair IntelliConnect. I don't see anything in our contract or info received that says anything about EasyTouch nor did I know that was an option at the time.

As for the SWG, the pool builder advised against that as he said they've seen a lot of corrosion when using SWG w/ the auto cover. But maybe that's BS?

Hi there! Our pool builder just installed the following equipment and I'm hoping to get some insight as to if this is better or worse than what we should have had installed?

Now I'm also questioning if this all looks right?
You'll thank them for the Pentair Clean and Clear. Posi Clear is an updated version of the old TX-135. The small cartridge hast to be cleaned on both the outer and inner pleats. Big pain as most don't have a tool that will clean it. For the sake of your heat pump, NEVER use that tab feeder. If you want to use tablets as a supplement, get a floating feeder.

Waterway Oasis is a solid piece of equipment, made by Waterway, though older. They are more expensive than the Intelliconnect. I have installed about 15 with zero issues or call backs, other than the homeowner that didn't put a gutter or a piece of flashing to divert rain water. Still, lasted two years before the display went bad. So far it has been able to communicate with Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, Century V-Green and Nidec Neptune motors with no issues, but I never tried it with a SuperFlo VS.

Reactions: one-L and Salocin8
You'll thank them for the Pentair Clean and Clear. Posi Clear is an updated version of the old TX-135. The small cartridge hast to be cleaned on both the outer and inner pleats. Big pain as most don't have a tool that will clean it. For the sake of your heat pump, NEVER use that tab feeder. If you want to use tablets as a supplement, get a floating feeder.

Waterway Oasis is a solid piece of equipment, made by Waterway, though older. They are more expensive than the Intelliconnect. I have installed about 15 with zero issues or call backs, other than the homeowner that didn't put a gutter or a piece of flashing to divert rain water. Still, lasted two years before the display went bad. So far it has been able to communicate with Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, Century V-Green and Nidec Neptune motors with no issues, but I never tried it with a SuperFlo VS.
That's good to hear. As far as the tab feeder goes, if I have a check valve installed as someone had mentioned, would that be okay?

As for the SWG, the pool builder advised against that as he said they've seen a lot of corrosion when using SWG w/ the auto cover. But maybe that's BS?

Yes, that is BS.

Every way you add chlorine to your pool will add salt.

Each 8oz Trichlor tablet will add 4.6 ppm of FC to your pool and 3.7 ppm of salt. You will go through about 300 tablets a year and add about 1,000 ppm of salt to your pool. In 3 years you will have about 3,000 ppm of salt in your pool, the same as what a SWG needs.

And the autocover mechanisim will corrode whether you have a SWG or not.

That was something the pool builder sold us on and highly recommended :cautious:
See my signature. I started with one too. It lasted two weeks before being turned off. I removed completely after about six weeks. Never looked back. The principles around here are solid. rock solid.

A very long time pool owner, but relatively new to "modern" equipment.....but, as a former user of a puck chlorinator (for decades):
Convenient, yes. Just fill periodically, and adjust flow to keep CL at the right level. But it is all too easy to forget to check, and have it run out of tablets. First sign will be an algae explosion in the pool. It is a bit of a pain to check - turn off system, wrestle the cap off (which can get very hard to turn over time - even with lube), perhaps have the system back drain while it is open - so you have to reprime the pump, etc. Mine was "off line" with a built in check valve, that many brands of tabs would easily plug with binders and other additives. May not be an issue with the in-line version you have. I had a standing order for replacement check valves on Amazon. And had to shop very carefully for tabs.

As noted frequently here, the tabs increase your CYA over time, which means you need to increase the flow to get more effective CL into the pool. Which means more CYA. By fall, my CYA could routinely go to 90+ - too high. Living where I do, I have to lower the pool for winter, so I would start the spring with new water (snow melt) and lower CYA. Unclear if in Ohio you will need to do that or not. If not, the CYA will just continue to climb and you will have to drain a lot of water out of the pool and refill with fresh.

Yes, you must have a check valve between the heater and the chlorinator. Shop carefully, many only work well if on a vertical pipe (the weight of the water flowing backwards helps close the valve). So you may need to replumb. I'm no pro, so there may be some that work well in your horizontal situation. My heater is finally due for replacement, but even with the chlorinator, it took 20 years....so if installed correctly, the risk of damage is minimized.

Can't speak to the long term effects of a SWCG on the cover or other equipment, only had mine for a couple of months. My salt reading from whatever it was at after the spring snow melt, and one month of tabs was at 900. I'd guess significantly higher in prior years by the end of the summer before I drained it down, but never had a need to test. So yes, any CL will slowly turn your pool into some level of a salt pool, anyway. The SWCG has been a game changer - save lots of energy running the pump on very slow speed 24/7. After the salt addition (cheap), only $3 of acid needed to control ph so far, and one partial bag of baking soda for TA ($4). No other chems needed at all. I have 4 gal of liquid CL on hand, but it is getting dusty. Will likely need in the early spring and late fall, when temps make the SWCG ineffective. While one still needs to monitor CL levels, you never run out, although there can be a risk of going too low as the weather/pool use changes. But it is an easy push a button to change adjustment.

No facts to back it up, but I'd guess that between chem savings and energy savings over a few years you will go a long way toward "paying" for any costs, even if the cover eventually did need maintenance.

While I can't speak to the alternative brand, My Pentair filter similar to your spec, has been the other life changer. DEMAND that gets changed to what you paid for.
The UV treatment? No experience...but with the SWCG I would judge it to be a completely unneeded addition.

Reactions: BDY

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.