Pump will not draw pool water

pippo

Jul 3, 2021
florida
people,

Pump runs with a whining sound, and does not suck up the pool water from the intake tubes. I checked the check valve and no debris. I unscrewed the clear cap from the basket and filled it with water to prime it, in case that was the problem, but when turning the pump back on initially it pulls the water but then falters to draw up any other water from the pipes.

Then , I unscrew the cap again, and water gushes out from the top. Priome again, no change.

Tips appreciated.

Have you checked your skimmers, weir doors not being stuck, water level 2/3 up skimmer mouth?

You check the condition of the pump lid O ring and lube it with Pool Lube - Further Reading ?

Do you have a main drain?

Post pics of your equipment pad and skimmers.

Have you checked your skimmers, weir doors not being stuck, water level 2/3 up skimmer mouth?

You check the condition of the pump lid O ring and lube it with Pool Lube - Further Reading ?

Do you have a main drain?

Post pics of your equipment pad and skimmers.

Thanks, Aj. Will send a photo as soon as possible- raining right now, and getting dark. Meanwhile, what is a weir door?

Is your pool in a cage?

Without weir doors skimmers do not skim debris from the top of the water.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Is your pool in a cage?

Without weir doors skimmers do not skim debris from the top of the water.
Yes, pool is in a cage. Update- I made sure the basket was filled with water to prime, and started the pump. Immedietaly the pump sucked in water from the intake pipes, then the flow stopped after about 8-10 seconds. No more suction of water. So, I then unscrewed the strainer cover to the basket strainer, and whooooosh, backed up pressure pushed out a bunch of water from the strainer. Like it had pressure built up somehow, not allowing sucked in water to flow through the system. Could this be a sign of something?

I repeated this about 10 times, hoping maybe I would purge a possible air block out, but again and again, when I unscrewed the clear plastic cover to the strainer so much pssssssst pressure blew out the water from the strainer again and again. What can this be?

Sounds like you have a clogged skimmer pipe or a valve closed.

The pump priming is building up pressure in the pump basket without any water flowing through it.

Show us pics of your equipment pad and valves.

How many skimmers do you have?

Reactions: pippo
Sounds like you have a clogged skimmer pipe or a valve closed.

The pump priming is building up pressure in the pump basket without any water flowing through it.

Show us pics of your equipment pad and valves.

How many skimmers do you have?
Dang- forgot to take a photo during the daylight, sorry. But, I should have mentioned that when I start the pump right after screwing on the clear lid, pump is ON, one of the 2 jets emit bubbles/lots of air. The other does not. I have only 1 skimmer. On side/upper part of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Photo attached. Also, I noticed that when the pump is on and pressure apparently builds up the psi guage on the filter doesnt even rise, stays at zero.

Attachments

• PXL_20231212_130259120.jpg
    PXL_20231212_130259120.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 19
Photo attached. Also, I noticed that when the pump is on and pressure apparently builds up the psi guage on the filter doesnt even rise, stays at zero.
Hard to decode everything going on, especially curious about that long pipe on the wall above the electrical boxes.. Can you remove some of the leaves on the other side of the filter, so we can see what is happening with that pipe, plus the one that comes out of the filter.

All that noted - time to take a few things apart. If the filter pressure gauge does not register any change at all...
1. Does the filter have a small air release valve on it? Usually at or very near the top, sometimes as part of the pressure gauge (I couldn't see in the picture, but unusual to not have one). [If no valve, skip the test in the next sentences about testing, but continue on with opening/inspecting the insides of the filter].
Open that valve, and prime the pump, and listen for air hissing out. If lucky, the pump will continue to work, and after the filter fills water will start coming out of the release valve.
If that happens, you may have a blockage in the filter itself, or in the output/line going out of the filter.
With the pump off, and the lid off (so there is no pressure at all), take the filter apart. It appears to be a cartridge filter - how dirty/plugged are the cartridges? Take them out and inspect for any other blockages in the internals. If you don't find something obvious (extremely plugged cartridges, etc.) take pictures and report back for next steps.
2. If no air hiss, and the filter looks clean inside, take the pump apart. It appears to be a Pac-Fab Challenger. Again with the motor off, lid off, undo the big metal band using the big twist knob on it. The motor/impeller section will pull out from the main body. Check in the main body for any obvious blockage coming from the basket area, or into the pipe on top. If your filter is still apart, you can run a plumbers snake from the pump to the filter intake to verify the pipe is all clear. VERY unlikely that there would be anything, so feel free to skip doing this. While the pump is open, check the impeller on the motor side for any debris - you may have to take off the plastic ring held with three screws to pick out any worms, leaves, hair, that have accumulated. Any significant amount would make the pump unable to pump with any pressure. Reassemble - note the large o-ring between the motor side and the main body. Make sure to relube it, and have both that and the mating area on the motor side be 100% clean - no sand, dirt, grass, etc. that would interfere with sealing. Make sure the band clamp and the area it clamps to all aound the housing is also 100% clean. Replace the band clamp and tighten. As you are tightening, pull up on the clamp knob periodically to snug the clamp down well.

'Tis always good to once in a while do the above to both items. Frequency depends on the amount of "stuff" that comes from the pool. Filters once or twice a season (unless undersized, then more often). Pumps once a year. When I had huge white pines next to my pool, I had to strip down the pump almost monthly to get all the pine needles out of the impeller....but I cut those trees down after too many years, so now only have to do it once a year.

Thanks, Sande (and dura). Such good tips to follow through. We are getting close! I will try these steps Saturday, on my day of, and let your know. Unless I get home early this week, in which case I will try out sooner! Will send other photos if possible too.

WEll, I got home in daylight today, and unscrewed the release valve at top of cartridge filter housing, and started pump, got the "air hissss". Then water started seeping out so I closed it. Pump ran , no luck. Same result. Then, I removed the cartridge pleated filter, and did itv again. No difference.

Should In run a snake through the outlet of the filter housing now? Is it obvious that the pump/impeller/diffuser are working as expected??

(the 2 PVC tubes going out /in from the filter housing are likely the tubes for the old roof water solar heater, now defunct. Has been for years).

In your picture, I don't see the valves for the returns to the pool (somewhere on the line that comes out of the filter).
Hate to be obvious, but are they open?

Go back to the earlier suggestions, and check the intakes - is water being sucked in the skimmers, and they are full enough that no air is also getting sucked in?
The pump itself is likely a bit less of the issue, as it would take an awful lot of stuff in the impellers to prevent something from getting out to the pool. Possible, but check the easy stuff first before the slightly harder pump disassembly.

In your picture, I don't see the valves for the returns to the pool (somewhere on the line that comes out of the filter).
Hate to be obvious, but are they open?

Go back to the earlier suggestions, and check the intakes - is water being sucked in the skimmers, and they are full enough that no air is also getting sucked in?
The pump itself is likely a bit less of the issue, as it would take an awful lot of stuff in the impellers to prevent something from getting out to the pool. Possible, but check the easy stuff first before the slightly harder pump disassembly.
There are no shut off valves for returns to the pool, just shut off valves (in photo) going into the pump. Intakes are full of water- no air as the water level is above the skimmer opening. There is only ONE skimmer. I am now becoming less optimistic, despite all the help from members here.

Keep it simple. Air being sucked into the system between the pump and the skimmers - that's the suction side. find that hole/ crack/ or dabage within those confines. The fix is normally easy once you find it.

WEll, I got home in daylight today, and unscrewed the release valve at top of cartridge filter housing, and started pump, got the "air hissss". Then water started seeping out so I closed it. Pump ran , no luck. Same result. Then, I removed the cartridge pleated filter, and did itv again. No difference.

Should In run a snake through the outlet of the filter housing now? Is it obvious that the pump/impeller/diffuser are working as expected??

(the 2 PVC tubes going out /in from the filter housing are likely the tubes for the old roof water solar heater, now defunct. Has been for years).
Do Not run a snake. If it gets past the plumbing 90s in the system it may not be able to be pulled back.
Why is there a check valve in the suction line to the pump with the equipment lower than the pool? It serves no purpose. Is the stop in the check valve broken, loose, and plugging the line?

Do Not run a snake. If it gets past the plumbing 90s in the system it may not be able to be pulled back.
Why is there a check valve in the suction line to the pump with the equipment lower than the pool? It serves no purpose. Is the stop in the check valve broken, loose, and plugging the line?
Equipment/pump/filter/system is not lower than the pool. (I did check the one way valve, and it had minimal debris). Maybe I will brush soap bubbles onto the suction lines, to search for a leak (?). Good tip on not to snake.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.