Pump will not draw pool water

Although I mentioned it, better to not run the snake. Because air, and then water, came out of the pressure valve, we know you have at least some flow going into the filter before it stops flowing.

Have you tried having just one valve open, and the other closed (and vice versa)? That would tell if one line was bringing in lots of air.
Are you sure the check valve is installed for the correct flow direction? (sorry, obvious, but have to ask...)
Can you find fittings/pipe to take out the check valve and just run without it for testing? Nice to be able to, but sometimes those unions don't have common hardware store threads....

My pump, which seems the same as yours, would falter ( fill with air and not pump as well or at all after it had initially pumped water) commonly if:
1. I had the intake valves closed (you don't - but same effect as the backflow not allowing water to pass).
2, It sucked air from the returns (hence the questions about the skimmer, and testing with only 1 valve open).
3. Filter got extremely clogged with dirt, and it had a hard time pushing water through it (but you've already looked at that).
4. The impeller was clogged with lots of debris.
5. I put the clear cap on without the o-ring. (A bad o-ring or cap will let air in, but it is usually slower, and not the quick fail you seem to be seeing).

If I was really oblivious, and had my output valves shut, it wouldn't even prime. So I'm guessing on yours it is less likely you have an extreme blockage after the filter.

It took me a while (pump/pool stayed with no pumping for 2 weeks) but I finally found the culprit. It was the tint black plug at the base of the basket! I never figured this could be it! Apparently it kept sucking air through that old/rotted plug and thats why it would lose the initial blast of water needed to prime. Wow.

But now, yes, that problem solved but geez- the pool vac wont work/"walk". I placed the pressure gadget springy thing to test the psi and the guiage wont even touch the minimum level on the clear plastic "guage". The guage on the filter housing seems to be dead as it doesnt even register 1 psi. I closed off one inlet pipe (they are 2" pipes, I think), no help. When both are open the psi are even lower.

Thanks, people.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.