Pump / Heater wiring...

I just need a quick verification that I'm going about this with the proper mindset...

I just completely replumbed my pool and moved the equipment around. I am at the point where I'm wiring up the pump, heater, new salt system, etc and had a "wait-a-minute..." moment. I am replacing all the wiring with the same gauge that I removed, but when looking at the service requirements I'm preeeeeetty sure the old wire was too small. The old wire was mostly 16/3 submersible twisted copper and 14 gauge solid copper... the pump (pentair whisperflow model WFE-6) was hooked up to a double pole 15 amp breaker and heater (Jandy LRZ400) was hooked up to a 15 amp single pole breaker. The lights were hooked up to a 20 amp GFCI breaker, which makes me think the 16/3 might be a little light.

I'm thinking the 16/3 might be ok for the lights, but the pump and heater should be 12 gauge solid... right? Breakers / Wires Loads don't seem to be adding up right to me.

14 AWG is minimum for 15 amp breakers
12 AWG is minimum for 20 amp breakers.

Long runs may require larger wires to avoid voltage drop.

16 AWG is not allowed for any 120 / 240 V power ... might be ok for 12V your lights have a transformer.

Longest run is about 25', but I think I'm going to ramp up the heater and pump to 10 gauge wire and be done with it (have a bunch on hand).

As far as the lights... there is no transformer. There are little junction boxes, but no transformers anyplace. At least... there isn't one that's above ground. Is there supposed to be? I think I'm going to have to pull the lights and see what bulbs are in there so I know which direction to sniff in. I know the existing wire is 16/3 submersible..... now I'm getting concerned. Maybe since the pool is 25+ years old the code has changed since it was built and 16 ga wire was permissible then?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.