Spa Blower wiring

I just purchased a Air Supply 1HP, 240v, 3.5 amp blower.
Can I be safe to assume a double pole 20 amp breaker, #10 wiring, and #8 bond wire be sufficient?
What does the Installation Manual say?

12 gauge wire is sufficient for a 20 amp breaker.

Last edited:
I don't know the exact details of your install but, a double pole 20 amp breaker is more than sufficient for that blower, #10 wire is more than sufficient for the 20 amp breaker and #8 bond is standard bonding.

#12 wire is good for 20 amps
#14 wire is good for 15 amps (I never use #14 wire, even on a 15 amp circuit, I use #12, so that I have the option to use a 20 amp breaker if I ever need to upgrade the circuit)

Now what I don't know is the internal wiring for the blower. The manual for installation should have a recommended breaker size. You should always use the breaker sized for the weakest part of the system. If the internal wiring in the blower is #14, you shouldn't use a breaker bigger than 15 amps.

The breaker is to protect wiring. Electricity flowing causes some heat in the wires, if you use a breaker with too high of an amperage rating, in an abnormal condition, such as a partial short circuit, the wires can overheat and start a fire. It's always best to use a breaker matched to the weakest part of the circuit, and wires capable of handling rated amperage or higher amperage than the breaker feeding the circuit.

15 amp breaker will be fine with 14 gauge wiring.

I see the manual says the Astro series blower does have a bonding lug while their other models do not.

Which model do you have?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.