Pump cutting out then restarting

We'll need to know the make and model of the pump in order to make some educated guesses

Pictures of the equipment also helps tremendously

How is it powered ?
Do you have any automation or timers etc ?
Did this just start happening ? (sounds like it might have been doing this for a while, and now is getting worse?)
Is it getting hot ?
Any changes to the pool or plumbing recently ?
Are all the plumbing valves open ?

I know this particular pump is thermally protected - my first guess would be it's overheating and shutting off.

Hi!
As above my pump runs for a minute (approx) then cuts for a while and repeat... its pumping well, sounds smooth and it's not getting hot - no weird noises or anything when it stops 🤔
Any ideas?

C
When it does run, do you feel air coming out of the vents at the bottom of the motor? If not, the cooling fan has broken, motor overheats very quickly, shuts down, cools off, repeats. New motor time.

How is it powered ?
Do you have any automation or timers etc ?
Did this just start happening ? (sounds like it might have been doing this for a while, and now is getting worse?)
Is it getting hot ?
Any changes to the pool or plumbing recently ?
Are all the plumbing valves open ?

I know this particular pump is thermally protected - my first guess would be it's overheating and shutting off.
Hi thanks for replying- no changes, has been running fine and I don't think it's getting hot, I've isolated it from timers and run power from a different location- same issue 🤨 it's starting and stopping "normally" no weird noises

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, I replaced the capacitor to see if they is the problem (no!) The pump is still cutting but runs smoothly, cooling is fine and it doesn't feel hot - just slightly warm to the touch. Could a faulty thermal cut out cause it and how could I test it?
Thanks,
C

Its possible. Bottom line, if the pump keeps cutting out, either it's losing power, or it's internally shutting itself off.

Back in the day, we used to test for heat issues with a can of freeze spray, but I don't know where you'd spray it.

1713529627612.png
How long does it cut out for and how long does it run for ?

Boujour! Désolé d'apprendre le problème. That's about as much French as I can muster. So I like to use an old boating tip I got a long time ago from a seasoned sailor. When you have problems difficult to diagnose like intermittent failures try the simple stuff first. @SJPoe 's idea seems pretty easy and you can use keyboard spray... it's pretty easy to find at computer stores. Also look at the suction strainer(s). If they're pretty full it could be plugging after a short run. Same thing for the filter. Do you notice anything changing on pressure readings before it trips? Another thing this could be is just a contact that's getting hot and then opening. To test this if you're comfortable with wiring I would bypass the timer and switch it on directly from the breaker. This will tell you pretty easily if the problem is indeed internal to the motor/pump or external. Of course, if your not comfortable with changing up the wiring get somebody that is to help you.

Good luck and please keep us informed as you progress this issue. It helps us help others with similar problems.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support