Pool Pump Failure - what do I need?

Floater22

May 2, 2020
WNY
Yesterday my pool pump stopped working. Came home from work and it had shut itself off, it was hot to the touch, and would not turn back on. Breaker was not tripped. I cooled it down and tried restarting, and it just buzzes for a few seconds and then stops.

My brief research leads me to think that it is a capacitor issue. So planning to take it to an electric motor repair shop Monday morning.

What I’m trying to figure out is more about what pump setup I have, what I could replace the motor with, and if I should consider replacing with a variable speed motor, or anything else. And what is compatible with my setup.0BC1B552-33FF-4233-888A-59FBF741346C.jpeg

This looks to be a single speed motor made in late 2015, so approaching 8 years old. Besides the fact it's an energy hog, it's reaching a time where it's not very feasible to repair. You could remove the rear cover to see if there is a capacitor in the back of the motor. If so, you could try replacing that on your own for about $20 if you are a DIY kind of person. However it could also be that the motor winding/bearings are just done. A local shop would confirm that for you.

A variable speed pump would probably serve you well today. There are many more to chose today from based on features and budget.

Thank you for the information. Ya, my entire equipment setup is definitely getting up there in age. I’ll probably have it repaired for <$100 to start.

What determines compatibility with my pump? In other words, what am I looking or in a new pump? I noticed this one appears to be a 1HP, and an “X56J”. But I’m seeing replacement motors labeled as just “56J” style flanges?

Should there be a direct replacement variable speed motor compatible with my pump? Would a VS require a new pump/housing? Would a VS require other modifications - timer box/electrical setup?

There are some situations where a compatible variable speed motor will mate-up to an existing wet-end. Someone like @1poolman1 is quite familiar with such compatibilities. In other situations, it may be more cost effective to replace the entire unit. The good thing about VPS, besides their efficiencies, is that even if you had one that might be too strong for your filter, you can always run it at a lower rpm.

There are some situations where a compatible variable speed motor will mate-up to an existing wet-end. Someone like @1poolman1 is quite familiar with such compatibilities. In other situations, it may be more cost effective to replace the entire unit. The good thing about VPS, besides their efficiencies, is that even if you had one that might be too strong for your filter, you can always run it at a lower rpm.
All makes sense. I think I was able to narrow down the model pump I have. Still planning to try and fix the existing motor to get things up and running. That will hopefully at least buy me some time to research a potential upgrade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.