Pool Novice Trying to SAVE MOM’s pool .

Have you added anymore CYA? If not, add some more to the sock. It will help save chlorine burn off from the :sunny: .

With a CYA of 20, your recommended chlorine should not go under 2 but you still need to shock Tabi. :wink:

Disregard the Pool Stores recommendations for chlorine. They are too low and don't account for the CYA/Chlorine relationship which you can find in pool school.

Your akalinity is high and it maybe the reason why mom and dad were fighting with it last year. To bring it down, use MA to lower your pH down to 7-7.2 and add bubbles to the water. Your pH will rise and it will eventually bring your TA down. If it's not low enough <90-120> bring the pH down again with MA and add more bubbles. It's a process Tabi. It takes time. :wink: I have used DH's air compressor for this. :cool:

Casey said:
Have you added anymore CYA? If not, add some more to the sock. It will help save chlorine burn off from the :sunny: .

With a CYA of 20, your recommended chlorine should not go under 2 but you still need to shock Tabi. :wink:

Disregard the Pool Stores recommendations for chlorine. They are too low and don't account for the CYA/Chlorine relationship which you can find in pool school.

Your akalinity is high and it maybe the reason why mom and dad were fighting with it last year. To bring it down, use MA to lower your pH down to 7-7.2 and add bubbles to the water. Your pH will rise and it will eventually bring your TA down. If it's not low enough <90-120> bring the pH down again with MA and add more bubbles. It's a process Tabi. It takes time. :wink: I have used DH's air compressor for this. :cool:

Daddy has a air compresor I was wondering how you expected me to add bubbles. We will come back to that latter. right now DH is here to help and we are going after the sludg in the DEAD ZONE. Wish me luck I'm going in :?

Don't worry about the TA. While it's higher than we recommend, it shouldn't cause you any problems and there is no reason to introduce aeration to speed up the Lowering TA process.

What high TA does is cause the PH to drift up. So all you need to do is this: Everytime you see the PH creep up to 7.8, lower it down to 7.2. The acid additions will slowly lower the TA level too. In time, the TA will come into range, and the PH will stablize and stop drifting up.

You may also see your TA/PH are rock solid and don't move at all. Every pool is unique.

So finish your task at hand, clearing the pool, and don't concern yourself with the TA level. :wink:

Casey said:
Oh and can we get a full shot of the pool? :mrgreen:

Here this one was taken right befor I left for town. Clearly shows the dead zone

SU1HMDAxMTEuanBn.jpg

So how did the sweeping go?

The pool water is looking better and better! One more day and mom and dad will be home! Have you added more bleach?

OK sludg is OUT used the net on a pool inside poll to scoop and dump then vacuumed and vacuumed! the bottom was mostly clear when we finishe but it sure stired it up there is ALOT in the watter so I'm sure by morning it will need more vacuuming.

I'm really glad I went in I found a large split in the skimmer hose it got worse while we were working. I noticed yesterday that the skimmer didn't seem to be drawing as well.

I put in another 182 oz bottle when I got out. I'm headed to Walmart for 2 more and to see if they have a new hose.

it's about ten here. So that's all that is open.

Oh no! A split! That's terrible! :( Hopefully you can find a replacement soon!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
johnfromphilly said:
cubbybeave08 said:
TabiCat said:
NOT everyone can drop 70 dollars without some planning first thanks. So there has to be something between THE BEST and just guessing? I'm not planing to just sit around guessing that is WHY I ASKED IF THERE IS A PASSABLE KIT THAT WILL DO UNTIL THE POOL OWNERS ARE HERE TO MAKE THE PURCHASE OF A BETTER ONE.

Even if I could order the 70 test today it wouldn't get here for at least two days I take it I shouldn't just sit on my hands until then.

Leslies pools (go online) sells a perfectly good test kit from Taylor...It is not the FAS-DPD kind of kit that we all use, but you could use that and fill the tester 1/2 way with pool water and then fill rest of the way with tap water and then test with the color titrating kit and then what ever color matches say 5 you then multilpy that by 2 (since it is half full of pool water) Conversly if you need to get FC up to even higher then you could fill tube 1/4 of the way and add tap water to the measure line and then multiply by 4 (since it is 1/4 full of pool water ) This is not as accurate as The FAS-DPD kits but it worked for me last year. It will atleast give you a target number and put you in the ball park. So if you used 1/4 and 3/4 tap water, and your FC color was 4 then your FC would be 16 ppm...which would be my target FC in my pool which is 13,500 gallons. Your poo is obviously much smaller being a quickset intex. You can also get a similar kits at walmart...just not as good. Right now you should be worried about the Chlorine...the Taylor basic kit that I got last year...also tests CYA.

I thought tap water had Chlorine in it- shouldn't they use destilled water for your idea?

It is such a small amount that it doesn't even show up in my test. I don't know about other municipalities...but ours is not even trace amounts. so it should be ok...someone pointed this method out to me last year. It works fine.

8:00 Friday - More vaccuming to do! but I have to get the replacement hose first did some calling and the local lumberyard carries limitted pool supplies he is checking to see if he has one in stock I am tring to avoid another drive but must have that hose the skimmmer and vacuum won't work without it .
SU1HMDAxMTMuanBn.jpg

Remind me to add gas to mom's bill :wink:

:rant: OK new problem Dark heavy rainclouds with thunder less than 20 miles off and appear to be moving fast. Which BTW if anyone else from the area hard me refere to that as a problem they'ed hhave my head examined. I gotta pack it in and head for my house. Any sugestions the fliter will have to be unpluged :grrrr: incase of lighting. I just added clorine this is going to mess up my levels.

It shouldn't mess the #'s up too bad Tabi. If anything, it may consume some chlorine.

You've done a great job in this first week. Unplug the filter and wait for the storm to pass and get back on it til the job is done. :goodjob:

Bye Tabi! :wave: See you soon!

The pool looks great! Can't wait to hear about mom and dad's reaction! Keep us posted! :cool:

TabiCat said:
Did you know 1 1/2 inches isn't always 1 1/2 inches. I even took the hose that need replacing with me still didn't quit fit.
How bad is the split? Did you try the handyman's friend, duct tape? You could wrap the hose well starting several inches below the split and continuously wrap the tape around the split until you are several inches above it. In fact I would use a couple of layers of duct tape. Test it out in a clean section of the pool to see if it holds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.