Pool Novice Trying to SAVE MOM’s pool .

New question? When would be a good time to begin adding DE to the sand filter now or after the pool is clean? About how much does doing this add to your monthly operating coasts? Is the improved clarity and filtration worth any additional cost?

Tabi, you could probly add some now if you wanted. The pool is nearly clear. I would add just a half cup since your sand filter is on the small side.

A bag of DE is not that expensive. Especially a small bag which would probly last a couple seasons or more because you're adding just a little at a time. The clarity is definately worth the cost. :-D You can buy a small bag for under $20. Just pick up the smallest bag you can find. I believe you can get it at HD.

Posting pics for update:

Today
9:30 AM

SU1HMDAwOTUuanBn.jpg

SU1HMDAwOTQuanBn.jpg

1:50 pm Wendsday

SU1HMDAxMDIuanBn.jpg

SU1HMDAxMDAuanBn.jpg

364 oz added.

Make sure you get pool grade DE. I may be wrong, but I believe food grade DE is used as an insecticide.

I know I tried to put some pool DE on an ant hill I had and it had no effect at all. :hammer: Then I did some reading and discovered that pool DE isn't fine enough to kill insects.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, which I may well be!

I don't think you're wrong. Definately has to be pool grade DE.

Yeah, it has to be pool grade. They calcine (cook) it to make clumps so it'll stay in the filter. Food grade isn't cooked it's a very fine powder. Either way, don't breath it. The small amount you're going to use most likely wouldn't hurt you but no use tempting fate.

robrinker said:
Make sure you get pool grade DE. I may be wrong, but I believe food grade DE is used as an insecticide.

I know I tried to put some pool DE on an ant hill I had and it had no effect at all. :hammer: Then I did some reading and discovered that pool DE isn't fine enough to kill insects.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, which I may well be!

Oh yes your right! I should have clarified. what we use on the ant's is very fine. It can't be corse because it has to work it's way into the exoskeleton. I have some in the garage and I'm pretty sure my dad has some in his shed since he won't allow any pesticides in near the yard or the live stock. I wasn't suggesting that I use that. Just stating that it shouldn't be hard to find some for the pool. But thank you so much for the warning the last thing I want to do at this point is mess up the filter.

The water is very clear :whoot: which right now only shows me that I have A LOT more vacuuming to do. :whip: I have to drive "into town" (which around here means away from our little town and into the "city") today for something so I'll take a water sample with me and have it properly tested. I should be able to grab a small bag then or at least price it and then check to see if farm supply or the local hardware have it and compare. Prices "in town" are usually better but not always.

SU1HMDAxMDcuanBn.jpg

SU1HMDAxMTAuanBn.jpg

What you are seeing in that last spot is what I am referring to as a dead spot. It's right toward the middle of the pool and is just out of my reach. I've known it was there but to day is the first day I can actually see it while working.

Things are going a bit better today. Our vacuum has such a small strainer bag ( I call it the gunk catcher) that I was having to stop every two minutes to empty it. So this morning I can see better and I have been using the skimmer net on the pool to scoop it out. The stuff is just crumbling apart and some is getting mixed up into the water the skimmer basket is catching most but the rest resettles loosely across the bottom than I can vacuum. I've even made some dent in the dead spot but I just can’t quite reach it.

TabiCat said:
NOT everyone can drop 70 dollars without some planning first thanks. So there has to be something between THE BEST and just guessing? I'm not planing to just sit around guessing that is WHY I ASKED IF THERE IS A PASSABLE KIT THAT WILL DO UNTIL THE POOL OWNERS ARE HERE TO MAKE THE PURCHASE OF A BETTER ONE.

Even if I could order the 70 test today it wouldn't get here for at least two days I take it I shouldn't just sit on my hands until then.

Leslies pools (go online) sells a perfectly good test kit from Taylor...It is not the FAS-DPD kind of kit that we all use, but you could use that and fill the tester 1/2 way with pool water and then fill rest of the way with tap water and then test with the color titrating kit and then what ever color matches say 5 you then multilpy that by 2 (since it is half full of pool water) Conversly if you need to get FC up to even higher then you could fill tube 1/4 of the way and add tap water to the measure line and then multiply by 4 (since it is 1/4 full of pool water ) This is not as accurate as The FAS-DPD kits but it worked for me last year. It will atleast give you a target number and put you in the ball park. So if you used 1/4 and 3/4 tap water, and your FC color was 4 then your FC would be 16 ppm...which would be my target FC in my pool which is 13,500 gallons. Your poo is obviously much smaller being a quickset intex. You can also get a similar kits at walmart...just not as good. Right now you should be worried about the Chlorine...the Taylor basic kit that I got last year...also tests CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cubbybeave08 said:
TabiCat said:
NOT everyone can drop 70 dollars without some planning first thanks. So there has to be something between THE BEST and just guessing? I'm not planing to just sit around guessing that is WHY I ASKED IF THERE IS A PASSABLE KIT THAT WILL DO UNTIL THE POOL OWNERS ARE HERE TO MAKE THE PURCHASE OF A BETTER ONE.

Even if I could order the 70 test today it wouldn't get here for at least two days I take it I shouldn't just sit on my hands until then.

Leslies pools (go online) sells a perfectly good test kit from Taylor...It is not the FAS-DPD kind of kit that we all use, but you could use that and fill the tester 1/2 way with pool water and then fill rest of the way with tap water and then test with the color titrating kit and then what ever color matches say 5 you then multilpy that by 2 (since it is half full of pool water) Conversly if you need to get FC up to even higher then you could fill tube 1/4 of the way and add tap water to the measure line and then multiply by 4 (since it is 1/4 full of pool water ) This is not as accurate as The FAS-DPD kits but it worked for me last year. It will atleast give you a target number and put you in the ball park. So if you used 1/4 and 3/4 tap water, and your FC color was 4 then your FC would be 16 ppm...which would be my target FC in my pool which is 13,500 gallons. Your poo is obviously much smaller being a quickset intex. You can also get a similar kits at walmart...just not as good. Right now you should be worried about the Chlorine...the Taylor basic kit that I got last year...also tests CYA.

I thought tap water had Chlorine in it- shouldn't they use destilled water for your idea?

cubbybeave08 said:
TabiCat said:

Thanks for the tip! :goodjob: Acctualy it is an Intex pool but it is 13,500 gallon pool as well they make two modles that are that large one round 24ft by 52in walls and one oblong. My partents have the round. it's huge diamitor makes it hard to clean I am finding. :hammer:

johnfromphilly said:
cubbybeave08 said:
TabiCat said:

I thought tap water had Chlorine in it- shouldn't they use destilled water for your idea?

My parents have filtered softened water and RO drinking water it removes clorine would that work. Casey had told me about the dilution option and that is what I have been useing. of course a bottle of distilled is easy to come by.
----------
MY best estimate with this method is that FC has been holding somewhere near 16 ppm since about late tuesday night.

It diped down closser to some where between 10 and 12 yesterday afternoon and I added 364 oz of bleach. Last night it was close to sixteen I hit it with another 182 oz. It is the heat of the day and just tested and I am getting a 16.

We are leaving soon to go into town I'll take a sample and get some real numbers and I'll share them with you all.

Thanks for all the input

Hi Tabi! Good to see your pool looking so blue and clear too!

Have you thought about going in and vacuuming while you're in the pool? It wouldn't hurt you to be in there for a short period of time so you could reach the middle and may even make it a little more easier.

You have done a fabulous job! :cool:

Casey said:
Hi Tabi! Good to see your pool looking so blue and clear too!

Have you thought about going in and vacuuming while you're in the pool? It wouldn't hurt you to be in there for a short period of time so you could reach the middle and may even make it a little more easier.

You have done a fabulous job! :cool:

I had but wondered if anyone sould go in yet I still have the clorine as high as I gan get it with out bying a bleach bottling plant :wink:

You should be fine. Some people will swim in shock levels. If I shock one night, I'd let the kids swim the next day. It's a personal preference and you'll get alot of opinions on the matter.

Just going in to get that sludge out will be okay. Personally, I would because it's consuming bleach and I'd hate to look at it! :mrgreen:

Ok here we go

FC 5.8 ppm. Recommended 0.5- 1.0

T C 5.8 ppm. Recommended 0.5- 1.0

C C. 0.0 ppm recommended 0.0- 0.2

pH. 7.5 ppm. Recommended 7.2-7.8

Hardness 110 ppm. Recommended 150- 300

Alkalinity 154 ppm recommended 100 - 150

Cya 20 ppm. recommended 20- 50
Copper 0.01
Iron 0. Ppm

They suggested 2 qt muriatic acid and 9lb of calcium increase

ok. I haven't been following the thread cause it's obvious you're well taken care of, but good luck! fwiw, the calcium is irrelevant in a vinyl pool (unless it gets too high...which it shouldn't if you don't have high calcium in your fill water {which obviously you don't} or buy calcium increaser from the pool store) and I can only assume the MA is to get your TA down. possibly something to consider later depending...but anyway, you're in good hands :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.