Plumbing Help

May 20, 2008
Waldorf, MD
I maybe replacing my filter with the same model. Here is what I got;

voQgxO4.jpg

This side seems easy. Ill cut the vertical pipe b in the middle and use a coupler or union

This one gets me scared.

GKkKd0x.jpg

Where can I cut this side?

How much pipe do I need to add a coupler or union?

or

does the fittings that go into the filter just unscrew? (that would be really easy)

Does that Polaris hook up look ok? going backwards like that?

I would vote D, just to get ride of the chlorinator ;)

But, if you want to keep it. Cut at C, right next to the Tee. Then put a new Tee in its place for the booter pump.

It does not look like the filter is using unions, so I don't think you can just uncrew it.

What kind of filter is that?
What is wrong with it?
Any reason you want to stick with the same?

The filter is a Jacuzzi Earthworks 70 DE filter. It is 15 years old, the DE grids are full of holes and the plastic frame is broken in many places. In addition to that the backwash/filter diverter has gasket issue. (All of the DE immediately dumps back into the pool when I add it to the skimmer) That part is not repairable and needs to be replaced. The total for parts will be $600. A new replacement will be $880.

When I called INYO pools they suggested A hayward DE pro grid filter in the $980 range plus a $150 for the multiport valve.

looking back they may have tried too up sale me on the filter.

maybe this one would work Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter 48 Sq Ft w/o Valve - DE4820 - INYOPools.com

What filters do you like?

You should get at least a 60 sqft if you are sticking with DE for your pool size. That is what I have had on both my pools (did not have a choice).

If I ever replace it, I am going to a large cartridge filter setup. Sick of dealing with the DE.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

So I spoke to INYO Pools again and there was some confusion about if I had pre 2004 equipment or post 2004 equipment. Pre 2004 there were arbitrary numbers for model numbers. Post 2004 the model numbers matched the filter area. so when i told them i had a 75 they thought that was the filter area.

my current set up has 70 GPM, 35 ft filtration area. that keeps my pool clean only running 5 hours a day. Ill probably stick with something similar

That’s an earthworks Sherlock jacuzzi probably from late 1990s..

Jacuzzi pool equipment is available again, & distributing through a big box pool retailer this year.

Wonder which company they licensed jacuzzi name to this time??

Stick with the Big 3..

-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.