dannytrigo

Mar 27, 2023
Florida
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Does anyone have any ideas how I can replace the cracked nut that holds this pipe to the pump? I have a replacement but I’m going to need to cut pipes to get it on, but everything is welded so close with no straight pipe runs where I can weld in a coupler so I’m out of ideas.

The only thing I can think of is to cut off the whole black part and buy another, and weld a new one there, but that would shift the whole pump back and I’d need to alter the pipe work out of the top as well.

551E72C1-F8F6-46BE-A08B-F4D8317E4D77.jpeg

Does anyone have any ideas how I can replace the cracked nut that holds this pipe to the pump? I have a replacement but I’m going to need to cut pipes to get it on, but everything is welded so close with no straight pipe runs where I can weld in a coupler so I’m out of ideas.

The only thing I can think of is to cut off the whole black part and buy another, and weld a new one there, but that would shift the whole pump back and I’d need to alter the pipe work out of the top as well.

View attachment 525884
Get the new connecter and a pipe extender. Cut the pipe flush with the back of the pump connecter, install the extender into the pipe, install the connector to the extender. The extender adds the exact amount of pipe you removed so no moving of the rest of the plumbing is required. Be sure to lube the O ring on the other union, the pump outlet, as you will have to move the pump a bit to do the work.
Extender-Pipe-2in.

Reactions: dannytrigo
I was hoping to do it without a new connector as I just stupidly bought the nut and should have bought the set, but I think you’re right, that’s the way to do it. Thanks!

I was hoping to do it without a new connector as I just stupidly bought the nut and should have bought the set, but I think you’re right, that’s the way to do it. Thanks!
If you can get the cut piece out of the old tailpiece, using a pipe extender would still be needed. There are various videos on how that might be done. If you want to go to the trouble, here are 3 ways to do it:

Reactions: dannytrigo
Thanks but it’s probably not worth the effort and then maybe ending up with more air leaks (which is what I’m trying to fix by replacing this cracked nut). So I think I’ll just buy the parts and do it properly.
In the grand scheme of things it’s negligible compared to the 3 LED lights I have to replace 😂

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.