PVC size from Pump to Filter Question

Pietro167

Nov 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
Hi. I've moved into a new home and are getting a pretty good understanding of how things work. I have a pool company that does weekly cleaning and also can help repair any issues. I'm pretty handy but I wanted to run a plumbing size issue with you guys.
From my pic, a 2.5" PVC pipe was used to marry the Jandy Pump with the CS200 Filter. The union from the CS200 is now leaking and I was told that since it's a 2.5" PVC and the union is glued to the PVC, I'll need to redo the piping (in red in the pic) and change to a 2". Thus in the future I can unscrew the union and change the O ring in question. Before I commit to giving the guy $285 for the whole job, or I could do this myself, I wanted to know if this is the right course of action.

Thank you in advance.
Pietro

Pool Plumbing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: If previous techs did indeed glue the filter bulkhead fitting to that T-fitting, then you're kind of stuck with no way to unscrew it. So yeah, simply cutting and replacing it all with 2" is fine. Shop for the proper bulkhead/union fittings for the filter and pump outlet so that in the future you can unscrew them as needed and you should be good.

Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Pietro,

Are you sure???

No doubt that there should be a place between the white 'T' and the black union, where the union should retract as you unscrew it.. But, are you sure the union itself is actually glued to the white pipe? If the union will move at all, you might be able to slightly move the filter as you unscrew the union..

You'd have to be a total idiot to glue a union where it could not be unscrewed... :poke:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Undo the front of the pump. Then lift the pump a little and undo the top pump connection, 'dropping the pump' as the union turns. (*edit. The pump may just unscrew from the top without undoing the front or lifting it.. Try just the top first)

Then the filter union will unscrew and the whole pump to filter pipe will back off the filter.

If you do replace the pipe, now or ever, use a 3 way diverter at the T by the filter so you can pump or vac to waste. As is, some flow always goes through the filter.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.