Please Help-Green, Hazy Water and Zero Free Chlorine since 5/18/15 =-(

I have searched and searched - it's either find it under $10 and pay over $100 in shipping - or buy it at a store for $25 for 50 lbs. I cannot find it anywhere. Geez - no wonder the previous owner didn't add sand or change it.... I need 6 bags - I can't find anything reasonably priced for this. Is there any alternative? Thanks, Jen

Look this up at your local Lowes. See if they can get it in for you. They should ship to store for free!

Shop QUIKRETE 50-lbs Commercial Grade Sand at Lowes.com

Here is Home Depot.

Quikrete 50 lb. Pool Filter Sand-115350 - The Home Depot

See if they will have it sent to your store.

For right now get that piece off of your pipe and see what YOUR sand looks like as well as the pipe and laterals.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

I just did a search using your zip code. Home Depot says they do not sell it in your area BUT Lowes website says they do you have to special order it. Making progress!

kim

I'd try sticking the garden hose in the sand since you've gotten the filter open and everything. The deep clean is pretty simple. Just use your regular garden hose no nozzle, turn on the water and gently move it around the filter. Let the water move the sand as you push the hose sort of in and out and let all the garbage in there start overflowing.
Have you seen the "how to deep clean a sand filter" video yet?

Maybe someone else will have another suggestion but if it was me I'd be dying to get the hose in there to rinse it out and see what happens. I love stuff like that. lol

If/when you do put your hose in there just remember to be gentle. Don't force the hose. You don't want to break any of your filter guts!

Here's the link to which Berns is referring : Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter. I actually think someone posted this link for you a while ago, but it might help to review it.

Re: your question about sand getting back into the pool:

1. Have you been backwashing every time the pressure gauge reads higher than 25% of normal pressure?

2. Put some fabric or a skimmer sock over one of your returns for a few minutes. Does it catch anything? Does the water coming out of the returns look clear?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is a "normal" pressure? It has been at 14-15 since the opening and the guy told my husband that is where it should be. I think it should be around 10. I just a long backwash and rinsed it now. The pressure is at 10. I'm adding water to the pool since the backwash let some out.

^you can do the OCLT but one of the important criteria of a slam is that the water is both crystal clear AND there's no visible debris/algae anywhere at all.

Sand rarely, if ever, actually needs to be changed...just cleaned yearly. I know you already ordered it, but why not wait until you're finished the SLAM?

Thank you everyone!
The sand isn't in yet - I don't expect it for a few days actually.
Counts today: FC 20.5 and CC zero
I will add some DE after work today and take counts again and continue to SLAM. I still don't know what the debris/algae is on the bottom that keeps coming back. I did vacuum it but looks like still there. =-(
I will see where we are after work and post. Thank you!

I don't know why but I thought if you could scoop some out with a little kids beach shovel or something like that. Just to get it out of the water so you/we could look at it better.
Also a thought. What if you vacuumed it out and then let your pool sit for a little while without running the filter? Does it come back? Do you know if it's coming out of your returns or not? Or is it just something that is in the water and settles down to the bottom? Maybe dead algae?
That's why I say maybe try and get a scoop of it. Did your sand move around and seem loose when you put the hose to it? Was there any hardness to it if you put your hand in it? Like maybe sitting on the bottom of the filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.