Please Help-Green, Hazy Water and Zero Free Chlorine since 5/18/15 =-(

Can't scoop it out - it billows in the water. The skimmer sock collects it too. I get it off the bottom and it comes back. I can turn it off - the pump - it's been running non stop since I started posting to the forum. Ok, brushed it to deep end, vacuum running and pool off. We will see what happens....
Thank you

I'm just curious if it is coming from the filter or if it's in the water and settling. I wouldn't leave your filter off for too long. Maybe about 2 hrs. That should be sufficient time to see what happens.
What did you mean vacuum running and pool off. I'm confused. Was that a typo?

Okay, pool was off all day and no stuff on bottom. Turning on pool now. New counts:
FC = 30x.5 = 15
CC = Zero
Adding 85 oz of bleach.
Water is clear - tint of green/turquoise.
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_7737_zpsxgthy9is.jpg
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_7738_zpstyuay1yx.jpg
I didn't have time to get DE.
So the stuff that shows up on the bottom is from the filter. Whatever it is - but it is not the hard sand granules. It looks like the stuff that I saw on top of the sand in the filter - it was brown and looks like what is going in the water. Under the brown layer in the filter is the turquoise looking sand.
Any thoughts on what that is????
Thanks
Jen
Continuing to SLAM

I wish I knew more about sand filters but if you had your pump off and no bottom crud then that is def where it is coming from. Hopefully someone can chime in.
Either way I think once you get your new sand (you already paid for it?) this whole problem will go away.
If you haven't paid for it yet maybe someone can help you fix the problem without having to change it out.
Here's to some good news.

Okay, pool was off all day and no stuff on bottom. Turning on pool now. New counts:
FC = 30x.5 = 15
CC = Zero
Adding 85 oz of bleach.
Water is clear - tint of green/turquoise.
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_7737_zpsxgthy9is.jpg
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_7738_zpstyuay1yx.jpg
I didn't have time to get DE.
So the stuff that shows up on the bottom is from the filter. Whatever it is - but it is not the hard sand granules. It looks like the stuff that I saw on top of the sand in the filter - it was brown and looks like what is going in the water. Under the brown layer in the filter is the turquoise looking sand.
Any thoughts on what that is????
Thanks
Jen
Continuing to SLAM

What a improvement! It could becoming from the filter if it is there again. I get sand from my filter.

^ Not so sure about that. It would be highly unusual if that were the case.

Jen, did you run the robot/cleaner at all today? Or did you have it completely off and no filter and no stuff on the bottom?

Do an OCLT tonight and post results please.

It is def. has improved! =-) The stuff is coming from filter. I did already pay for new sand and want to change it out and also add a little DE with the sand. I don't know when the sand is coming in though. I do remember that when we did our walk through of this house, that the pool had this in it and I thought it was just dirt. I think previous owner must have had this issue - since I recall seeing it before we bought the house. Is there supposed to be a layer of brown stuff and then the sand under it?
Thank you!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

^ Not so sure about that. It would be highly unusual if that were the case.

Jen, did you run the robot/cleaner at all today? Or did you have it completely off and no filter and no stuff on the bottom?

Do an OCLT tonight and post results please.

I had pool completely off entire day. I brushed in AM - I used robot in AM after I brushed but it turns itself off after 1 hr.
I have to look up what an OCLT is and I will do it.
Ok, looked it up - I added bleach already - waiting minimum 30 min - most likely longer, then will turn off pump and chlorine and do the FAS DPD test and will post results.

Thanks
Jen

You should keep the filter running for OCLT just don't add any more chlorine until after your pre sunrise test. :)

Did you ever run the hose in the filter when you had it open the other day? Maybe just a good rinsing of the sand would help out. Even if you're changing it eventually, it would probably help in the meantime.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, I hadn't hosed it out - by the time I saw that comment, I had already closed it back up. It's a real pain to open too!
Well I didn't let the pool run but my test this morning was
42x.5=21
CC=0
And it's raining - not sure if that matters? But I did get a water sample from deep down.
I will put the pool on for today, see how it is after work - then I will repeat the OCLT test again tonight and tomorrow AM test w/pool filter running and chlorine off. At least we know that there is nothing "living" in the pool itself..... so that's good, right?

LMK if you all think I should do a different plan.
Thanks
Jen
PS: filter on - brown stuff back on bottom of pool =-(

I'm thinking that maybe the filter really does need a deep cleaning and it's just stuff that is not being caught by the filter.

How long before the sand you ordered comes in? You still have the option to try the deep clean. If it works you could just get your money back on the new sand. If it doesn't you can change it out. Or, just wait for the new sand and change it out and in the mean time "ignore" the stuff on the bottom of the pool because you know you're going to be fixing it soon! :)

Either way keep up the SLAM! :)

Okay, Pump ran all day, stuff on pool floor back, retest shows this:
FC: 30x.5 = 15
CC: 0
Adding 85 oz of bleach.
Then will do the OCLT - this time leaving the pump on and turning the chlorinator dial to be off.
Tomorrow, I will be able to open the filter again and hose it out - the brown stuff. I will keep you posted. I agree about the sand - not sure if I can cancel or not.
Thanks,
Jen

When I wanted to get my stuff off of the bottom of the pool I used a turkey baster! It worked great.

Squeeze bulb before you put it in the water. Hold it open side down. When you get it right over the "dirt" let go of the bulb and suck up the stuff.

Now take it inside and squeeze it out over some paper towels inside a strainer to support the paper towels. What color is the stuff on a white paper towel?

Your pool is looking a LOT better! Nice job! Keep it up!

Kim

When I wanted to get my stuff off of the bottom of the pool I used a turkey baster! It worked great.

Squeeze bulb before you put it in the water. Hold it open side down. When you get it right over the "dirt" let go of the bulb and suck up the stuff.

Now take it inside and squeeze it out over some paper towels inside a strainer to support the paper towels. What color is the stuff on a white paper towel?

Your pool is looking a LOT better! Nice job! Keep it up!

Kim
Thanks! It is a very light brown.

Okay, FC = 43x.5 = 21.5
CC = 0

So it looks like I need to keep slamming the pool. Is it possible the brown stuff in the filter is all the algae? B/c when I had the filter off and did the FC overnight - FC was good and CC was good. Now the filter on - FC dropped 3.5.....
Thoughts?

Thanks
Jen

^the FC running through your filter should ultimately help clean it up but deep cleaning might help as well....however, you have new sand coming and a weekend for opportunity to change it anyway...

-- I was confused by your comment about "turning off the chlorinator" -- are you adding pucks? That will change your CYA, and ergo the slam FC level top you need to maintain to be in the effective kill zone.

Can you clarify what you meant?

^the FC running through your filter should ultimately help clean it up but deep cleaning might help as well....however, you have new sand coming and a weekend for opportunity to change it anyway...

-- I was confused by your comment about "turning off the chlorinator" -- are you adding pucks? That will change your CYA, and ergo the slam FC level top you need to maintain to be in the effective kill zone.

Can you clarify what you meant?

Yes, there are pucks in the chlorinator and the test said to turn off the chlorinator - so I turned it off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.