Planning outdoor kitchen/Green Egg table build

May 11, 2016
Troy IL
Hi all. I am in need of a new home for my Big Green Egg. When we moved I gave up on the wood table I originally had for it, and now want something more permanent and either stone or brick or something like that.

My first question is do I need to go below the frost line for my base support for this thing? I'm thinking if so, that's going to make framing this thing out in cinder blocks more of a pain. If I can dig down just a few inches I was thinking i could lay out the shape with cinder blocks and build it all up. But I don't want to have to do that all around the perimeter from 30 inches below the ground. If that is the case, perhaps it would be better to dig just a few pillars that deep and then frame it with steel stud. I've never worked with steel studs, but here they are wonderful.

I'm in ND, and I asked our landscaper a similar question - basically they told me I'd need to use footings that go down a good 4'-6' and sit on a concrete footing - similar to how you'd build a deck, and even then it still may move or shift. I was looking at building a fire-pit and doing stone on the outside. In the end, I ended up building it out of block instead...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.