Modified Skimmer to raise water level?

Barnon

Bronze Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Central, TX
I like the way my pool looks after a hard rain that raises my water level above my current skimmer opening. I was thinking of modifying my Skimmer to allow the water to come up within a few inches of where my Vinyl Liner attaches. Are there any problems that may arise from this concept that I might be missing? This is a Steel Wall pool we build about seven years ago.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Water Level.jpg
    Water Level.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 20
The skimmer is generally installed at a set height for an ideal water level range that also helps to prevent water from getting too high where it could go up and over the lip of the liner (between the coping), and behind the liner/wall. While most pools have a sealant between the top rail and coping, sometimes it develops a break in the seal where water could get in. Water behind the liner could be a bad thing. That's the most obvious thing that comes to mind for me.

Baron,

The lower the water level, the better your skimmers work. The higher the water level, the less your skimmers will work.

That is why we recommend keeping your water level at the middle of the tile line or the middle of the skimmer's mouth.

If you don't care about skimming then it won't matter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pat.

Yep, water behind the liner would be bad. I figured I'd keep it a few inches below the attachment point at a minimum. I think only once here in Austin area we got a rain that actually overflowed the pool.

Jim.

I've already added an additional Lexan plate to my existing face plate in the attached pic that allowed me to raise the level a few inches and still keep a good skimming flow. I'm considering 3D Printing a new faceplate that would seal against the liner, also attached, to raise it a bit further and maintain a reliable skimming function.

Attachments

• modified skimmer faceplate.jpg
    modified skimmer faceplate.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 24
  • added plate.jpg
    added plate.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Texas Splash
Barnon....I was searching the internet for information on raising the water level of my pool by raising the level of water entry into the skimmer and came across this thread and your post. Did you ever proceed with creating a new faceplate that would seal against the liner, also attached, to raise it a bit further and maintain a reliable skimming function, as you noted in the threads above?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.