pH 6.2 with TA of 130

Welcome to TFP.
pH is raised the same way that you increase Total Alkalinity. If you find your pH is below 7.0, the best way to raise pH is through aeration. Aerations will increase pH without affecting TA. Borax is the next best solution, as it will raise pH, and have a small impact on TA. Soda Ash/Washing Soda is the next best solution. It will raise pH, and increase TA about 2 times the amount that Borax impacts TA. If you find you need to increase pH, and you don't have a way to use Aeration, use Pool Math to help you figure out how much Borax or Soda Ash/Washing soda to add. Baking soda is NOT a good choice to raise your pH. If your pH is below 7.0, then here is the general guidance.If TA is 50 or above, bring your pH up to 7.4 or so using 20 mule team Borax.

Please read Managing pH and Total Alkalinity - Further Reading

pH 6.2 with TA of 130​

Very unlikely unless the CYA is sky high.

What are all of your numbers from a good test kit?

What is the history of this pool?

Pool Care Basics

PoolMath

Test Kits Compared

I use the TF-Pro kit for most tests.
CYA 0
FC 4.5
CC 0
TA 130
pH 6.2 (hydrion paper)
Phosphates (AquaCheck kit)

The pool has been up for three years. I replaced all of the water 14 months ago because of algae problems after that winter. The pH and TA were similar all last season.
The pool was uncovered and mostly unmaintained from last November to this March. I used PR-10000 last week to knock the phosphates down.

Why is the CYA 0?

The pH is not going to stay at 6.2 with a TA of 130.

Can you fill out your signature?

Can you show the pool and system?

Do you have ozone, ionizers, CO2 or acid feeders?

Do you have pH or chlorine feeders?

If yes, are they automated?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why is the CYA 0?

The pH is not going to stay at 6.2 with a TA of 130.

Can you fill out your signature?

Can you show the pool and system?

Do you have ozone, ionizers, CO2 or acid feeders?

Do you have pH or chlorine feeders?

If yes, are they automated?
Not sure why CYA is zero. The pool is effectively in full sun and I rarely add dichlor. No chemical automation. The chlorine tab floater has been on the ground for two seasons. I've updated my sig, but here it is:
11k gallon vinyl pool, Hayward 1.0 HP pump and 100 lb sand filter. Manifold with vacuum port and fountain.
20230521_195713.jpg

That pH is above 8, not 6.8.

Use pool math to calculate how much muriatic acid to reduce pH by .4. Add that, retest after 30 minutes with pump running. Rinse and repeat until your pH is 7-6-6.8.

Reactions: Bigric and JamesW
I would increase the CYA and that will lower the pH some.

If the CH (Calcium Hardness) is not high, you are in good shape.

Pool Care Basics

FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Bigric
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.