Port Charlotte, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hello all. I'm hoping you sleuths on here are looking for a challenge. I have found one reference to a very similar issue from years ago, but no answer was discovered.

I have a new house with an infinity spa that overflows into the pool. The spa randomly shuts off for no apparent reason. Usually after 20-30 minutes, but it so random.

The board is an EasyTouch 4p. After hours (upon days and months) on the phone with Pentair support, they finally stated this week that they belive our issue is that we are running an EasyTouch 4p, but should have an EasyTouch 4, or EasyTouch 8, because we have a dual body system, for which the 4p is not designed.

My pool guy isn't convinced, and thinks that I need to somehow get a pentair field tech out here. We're running screen logic, and nothing seems off with the programs. I just updated all of the firmware. I can't seem to get an answer, and the thread I found seemed to end with no answer. Anyone have any ideas?

Why is your pool guy "unconvinced" exactly?

Also can you provide us with the model on your Easytouch?

If you are positive it's an Easytouch 4P, then Pentair is correct and it's a single body system and isn't designed to provide you with a "spa" option. But let's find the model # and remove all doubt.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

How do you turn the spa on and off with your EasyTouch?

Do you have ScreenLogic and an app?

Why is your pool guy "unconvinced" exactly?

Also can you provide us with the model on your Easytouch?

If you are positive it's an Easytouch 4P, then Pentair is correct and it's a single body system and isn't designed to provide you with a "spa" option. But let's find the model # and remove all doubt.
Thanks for the reply.

He is unconvinced because he says that if it's a single body system, it shouldn't be able to manage the spa at all. In other words, how is there a spa option at all if it is a single body system?

I'm flying out later this morning, but I'll go pop open the box and see if I can find the exact model number before I leave. My slconfig app says "EasyTouch2 4p" under the model listing.

Edit: I looked in the box, and can't figure out how to find the model number of the board. I didn't want to start pulling pins or anything.

Last edited:
Mike,

I tend to agree with your pool guy, which is unusual... :mrgreen:

You need to drop the front panel down and show a couple of pics of the labels on the back of the main circuit card. Two screws and nothing need to be disconnected.

Show me a Screenshot of your SLConfig .. Summary then the "Circuits" tab. This will show all your circuits.

Tell me more about the problem. Are you seeing the problem only over ScreenLogic, or are you there and in the spa and it shuts off?

By "shuts off" what does it actually do? Does the system go back to the pool mode or does the pump just shut off or ??? Tell us exactly what happens.

Tell me exactly how you turn the spa on. Is it scheduled to be on or do you just turn it on when you want to use it? Do you use the V button the main panel or ScreenLogic?

When the spa shuts off, do you get any alerts on ScreenLogic?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I've left the house for Colorado now, but I'll see of my guy can pull it and look at it for me.

We're actually in the spa when it shuts off. Usually, the lights are on, and it is in spa mode. Lights will shut off, heater and pump stop. About 5-10 seconds go by and the pump reverts back to the pool, lights come back on, and it resumes our daily schedule. Doesn't matter whether the blower is on or not.

I never did get alerts at all from screen logic. I can't seem to set a password or enter an email to get alerts sent to me. Also, the "history" no longer shows any activity at all. I know it used to before hurricane Ian, but nothing now.

We've wondered if something could have happened to the system from the hurricane, but can't confirm. See the SL configuration screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-103248_SLConfig.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-103248_SLConfig.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 4
Check for R41 on the EasyTouch board. R41 defines if you have a P&S model. Lack of R41 says you have Pool only.

If you bought a single body panel and want to activate for P&S you will be missing R41. Just add R41 and it will become a Pool & Spa panel.

We're actually in the spa when it shuts off. Usually, the lights are on, and it is in spa mode. Lights will shut off, heater and pump stop. About 5-10 seconds go by and the pump reverts back to the pool, lights come back on, and it resumes our daily schedule.
Mike,

That does not sound like a Spa issue to me... It sounds more like the system lost power and then reboots.

If it were just a spa issue, the lights would not shut off.

Not sure what is causing it.. Yet..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. Got some photos of this board. My buddy read off ten zillion numbers to me. Keep in mind, I didn't buy any of this. The builder was a whack job and bought all of this before we ever looked at the home. Here's what the board looks like:

Attachments

• IMG_1823.jpg
    IMG_1823.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1822.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1821.jpg
    IMG_1821.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1819.jpg
    IMG_1819.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1818.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 10
Ok. Got some photos of this board. My buddy read off ten zillion numbers to me. Keep in mind, I didn't buy any of this. The builder was a whack job and bought all of this before we ever looked at the home. Here's what the board looks like:
Yep. It's indeed a single body board.

So, regardless of any other issues, it makes sense to get the right board in there before assuming there is a different issue.
See Post 9 above from Allen. Very easy to convert the existing board to a pool/spa board.

So, regardless of any other issues, it makes sense to get the right board in there before assuming there is a different issue.
No need to buy a new board.

If you bought a single body panel and want to activate for P&S you will be missing R41. Just add R41 and it will become a Pool & Spa panel.

When you look at a board and it has both resistors R41 and R42 then it is a pool & spa EasyTouch 8.

R41 and R42 are 1k 5% 1/4w resistors.

Thank you @Jimrahbe .

My post was rushed and incorrect. I've simply removed for now.

I was suggesting what Jim says below. I don't know how he got it to work short of clever programming.

Last edited:
Mike,

When you have a Pool and Spa board, your automated Intake and Return valves are connected to the Intake and Return connections on the board.

Your builder set your system up using your A and B valve connectors instead. I have no clue how that even works??? :mrgreen:

What do you have to do to change from the Pool mode into the Spa mode?

As you say, no matter what, you need to either modify the board you have, or buy a new one, then connect the valves to the correct connections on the board and see how it works before troubleshooting your original issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Check for R41 on the EasyTouch board. R41 defines if you have a P&S model. Lack of R41 says you have Pool only.

What does add R41 mean? Is that a part or program or?

Thank you for the help, I'm just a little thick on this topic.

What does add R41 mean? Is that a part or program or?

Thank you for the help, I'm just a little thick on this topic.
R41 is a resistor part soldered to the board.

Examination of the board components will find component part numbers are silk screened on the board.

Show us pics of the other side of the PCBA with the components.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.