Owner / Builder Build - Las Vegas..Pics and Prices Inside!

Thanks all :)

I've received a few PM's asking about the DIY process. More specifically, the difficulty / time commitment it takes from your personal life. I'll try to answer a few of those here. Please understand that these are 'my experience' answers - your mileage may vary!

I believe the hardest part of a DIY project is convincing yourself that you can do it. Like many, many people wanting a pool, I knew little-to-none about pools prior to this project. The biggest misconception that is spread around this forum is that you must be a pool expert to oversee a project on your own. This couldn't be further from the truth. I'm glad I made my decision to be my own general contractor before seeing some of the ill-advised comments that dissuade homeowners from trying this method. It may have convinced me I was making the wrong decision. I'm writing this (what seems like a novel) to explain that it's not nearly as bad as some forum members make it out to be. (Funny enough, the ones who aren't fans of it are those who have never attempted one...?) Yes, you do need to know the basics. Yes, you need to research (especially equipment) and ask questions. Luckily this forum is filled with people who can aid in answering those questions, and the subcontractors are just as willing to fill you in on the details you need to know for their phase of construction!

If anything, I truly believe that researching is a major benefit! Rather than relying on a PB to tell me about the equipment I have, I learned it for myself by reading this forum and talking to other pool owners.

Once you have your pool plans finished, obtaining bids for the job is as easy as calling a subcontractor, explaining your situation, and emailing them a copy. They will then send you their bid (typically by email) that is broken down by line item for their particular job. By obtaining a few bids per each phase, you are able to compare / contrast the bids to ensure you're comparing apples to apples.

I've also had people ask - "How do you know what kind of work they're doing without a pool builder?" This misconception assumes that a pool builder is on site, looking over the subcontractors work for every minute they are there. I know that is not possible, and no PB is going to dedicate an employee to sit there while a sub is on site for every minute of the job. Well, same applies for DIY builders. You aren't going to sit in the auto shop garage while your vehicle is being worked on - you pick it up when they say they are done! Likewise, you let the sub do their work, and if an issue arises, you deal with them directly - just as you would with an auto repair shop. Nobody will be more picky about a job-well-done than you will be. I promise that YOU care more about your project than anyone overseeing it.

Another question I've been asked is, "Well how did you find your subcontractors?" I did have the help of a couple TFP members who pointed me in the right direction - but all you have to do is ASK! The excavation crew gave me the name of a few plumbers they liked, who in turn gave me the names of electricians, etc etc. Not once in my endeavor did I ever ask a subcontractor for a referral (for a different phase of construction) and get turned down. They work in a word-of-mouth industry. They all recommend each other because they hope they will get referred as well.

Warranties are specified with each contractor. I've read that people are worried that if they manage a pool themselves, they forfeit the warranty. Not true. All of this can be solidified in writing, and like the price, is negotiable per the subcontractor.

Lastly, a benefit of DIY is scheduling the subs on your OWN time. I know exactly when someone is showing up, date and time. If I want to be there for a particular aspect of the job, I just schedule it for when I can be home.

As the job is coming to an end, I compared my final (estimated) price to what was quoted to me by two reputable builders in town. PB #1 came in at 37% more expensive, PB #2 at 41% more (note that this doesn't reflect the upgrades I decided to make in the middle of the job that weren't on the plans - they would have skewed the PB prices even higher). For me, the extra time associated with contracting / meeting subcontractors was worth the savings.

I'm not saying DIY is the only way to go. This wasn't meant to be a PB "bash". Every situation is different, and I do believe that having a PB would be best for certain builds. However, I wanted to clarify a few glaring, incorrect assumptions about DIY builds that I've seen on the forum. If nothing else, hopefully it will shed some light for other users who are on the fence themselves. My build is quite elementary compared to some of the extravagant DIY builds I see, yet even the more complicated builds are attainable if you have the motivation to do so! If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help them along the way.

I would like to add that going with a pool builder does not guarrantee that they will use the best subcontractors. In fact, going with the cheapest would increase their profit margins. For example, I did not use the cheapest bid for my plumbing because Bill was widely regarded by almost every other subcontractors that I talked to as the best in the valley who does it right and does not cut corners.

I also absolutely agree about the benefit of being able to schedule the subs on your time. One of the biggest complaint from one of my friend who just finished her pool with a PB was that she never knew when any of the subs would show up. For those who are busy and not sure if you have time to supervise over the subs, DIYing can actually be better. I work 6 days a week and by subcontracting out myself, I can schedule them on days that either I or my wife are home.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today was the first day a contractor did not show up when planned. Plaster was supposed to be Thursday, but they decided on coming this morning!

Quartzscapes Aruba Sky. Excited to get the startup process going and eventually giving this pool a test run!

Pool filling!

Spa filling - took about 3 hours with a 5/8" hose.

What'd the quartzscape end up costing over plaster? It looks great btw! I start my excavation tomorrow!

To be honest I'm not quite sure what the cost was over a standard white plaster. I had one company quote me $2,200 for all white - but they also had a significantly higher Quartzscapes bid. If I had to guess (and truly this is a guess), I would imagine it was ~$1,000 - $1,200 more to go with the Quartzscapes.

Congrats on the excavation! Look forward to seeing your progress :)

Went back at lunch to take a look at things. Plaster dust party! Got a good brush in with the Whale Wall XL, added some acid. Pump, filter, heater, blower, all passed the test! Need to adjust the spa jets. With the 2hp blower and some of them pointing upwards it looked like I had just disturbed Old Faithful....my neighbors got a kick out of it.

Now comes the break in period - no swimming for two weeks per TFP recommendations :( . I'll try my best to abide by that rule, haha.

Why can't you swim for two weeks? Does the quartscapes stuff have to cure or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recommended to not swim during the break in period for new plaster on the TFP pool school link. I was told by the plaster company 10 days. There is certainly too much plaster dust to even consider swimming at this point. Pump and filter will be running some overtime this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.