Owner / Builder Build - Las Vegas..Pics and Prices Inside!

Pool waterline tile installed, coming back for the glass tile tomorrow. Will encompass the spa face, spa spillway, spa waterline, and liner for all of the steps / wet deck. The glass tile is definitely different. It's extremely high gloss, has a mixture of brown, tan, reds, and green tiles. It changes color like crazy with light exposure so it's tough to capture a decent photo to show what its tendencies are (if that makes any sense, lol). We are trying to stay with an "earthy" theme as the colored deck will match the back patio. That color is called "Grand Canyon", so we wanted the glass and stacked stone to stay with that color theme and not clash with a more typical glass color. I'll get some good pics tomorrow (my GF is ecstatic because the light red tiles show a brilliant pink when the sun hits them :shock: my manliness is possibly being compromised with this selection).

Pool waterline and the spa leveled and ready for glass installation.

Glass tile

A mini excavator showed up this morning to remove dirt and level the deck areas. Getting closer!

It's been raining! Very gloomy outside today so the glass tile doesn't have its sparkle - but this is the general idea. It really goes crazy, rainbow colors, when the sun is out. We like it :) . Area has been leveled for the deck and that gets poured on Thursday!

Step liner

This project is just cruising right along...and, it looks great! Not that I think I will ever build another pool but, after seeing this project, there is no way I would hire another pool builder to do my project. You have given power to the people!

Bob

Great! PM coming your way - I'll be glad to help in any way possible. I've met some really cool subs along the way :) I live in the Northwest as well - right outside Providence.

Your pool looks awesome. I have been looking into a owner/build pool myself. I to would appreciate any info you could provide on contractors you have used. How did you know what steps to follow in the pool build process? I live in Las Vegas as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool looks awesome. I have been looking into a owner/build pool myself. I to would appreciate any info you could provide on contractors you have used. How did you know what steps to follow in the pool build process? I live in Las Vegas as well.

Thanks! PM coming your way - the hardest part for me was getting the ball rolling. I was in your same situation, but once you understand the steps, things start falling in line. The first step is coming up with a design, and then getting that design drawn on 1/8th scale plans. I have a guy who can do that part for you, it just comes down to knowing what design/features you want to incorporate into the plans. It's downhill from there (with a few speed bumps along the way, lol).

bulldog,
Great looking pool. Your well on the way. One thing I saw in post #22. The chlorinator piping appears to be too short. If you read the chlorinator book it says you need a 12" to 18" straight run of pipe before connecting to the chlorinator. I think it's for turbulence and or flow reasons across the flow meter(not positive).

Thanks for the heads up 36. I called the plumber and asked about the IC40 plumbing. He assured me that while recommended, they've had no trouble with plumbing the SWG this way. He text me a pic of his personal IC40 setup and it was plumbed in the same manner. Still looking for reassurance, I called my friend who has an IC60 setup, and he measured his pipe length going into the salt cell at 3.5". He's been running this setup for a few years without issue - but I'll definitely keep an eye on it :)

The deck has been poured! The spray deck can't be applied for at least a week as the concrete has to cure. They did a nice job on the cantilever edge which was my biggest concern. I had them install 7 umbrella sleeves (2 will be used for volleyball net sleeves) which I'm sure they thought was overkill. But until I know where an umbrella(s) will be best suited, I figured I should overkill it beforehand.

bulldog,
Great looking pool. Your well on the way. One thing I saw in post #22. The chlorinator piping appears to be too short. If you read the chlorinator book it says you need a 12" to 18" straight run of pipe before connecting to the chlorinator. I think it's for turbulence and or flow reasons across the flow meter(not positive).
Same plumber did mine and it's plumbed in the same manner. I have been meaning to get in touch with him as I keep getting alert messages from my automation system, (low flow) error. I'm also questioning the high percentage output setting I need to keep the proper chlorine level. I thought since I installed the IC40 I would be at 25% to 30% not the 68% to 75% I currently have been using, given the generator is rated at four times my pool size.
Really shaping up nicely bulldogz. Looks like you'll be having splash down soon. Continued success on your build.

Things are moving along - just haven't reported lately as they are the 'bland' aspects of the project.

Brick wall has been rebuilt, wrought iron gate added, and today we passed the final / pre-plaster inspection!

Green lights from here on out - the concrete deck has properly cured to allow for the colored spray which will be happening this week :)

Deck guys covered all the tile and put down the initial deck layer today (NOT the color layer). This first layer, as explained to me, is a better adherent for the spray deck as opposed to going straight to the concrete. Contractor told me it would keep the deck from peeling / chipping. Unfortunately it has to cure, and it will be a couple days until the next layer can go down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.