Owner Build all Tile pool: Initial layout and plans

well the tile is mine, paid for and everything... 12 grand payments are stressful when there is no hole in the ground... :)
Tell me about it. I just dropped $33k and my first payment is the 5th. I'll be 4 payments in before I even see a back hoe.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Well I may have some great news...

I found a precast coping company in Dallas that will sell directly to me, the peasant.. They are 12x24 white precast coping in modern edge or rock face and I like both.. They are sending me a sample of the 2 and I will see what we like... They are $10 dollars a sq ft so right at what the travertine is costing.. :)

StraightRockFace-382w.jpg

EasedEdge-382w.jpg

I was going to suggest that any hardscape supply would have chiseled edge caps. They are mainly used as stair caps or retaining wall caps. Usually places that sell them as pool coping charge more....the concrete doesnt knownthe difference where its installed, it's made the same way. 10sqft is right in line with pricing so no worries. Popular look at the moment as well

Thanks for the suggestion.. I was hoping that pricing was good.. Way better than the 20 and 36 dollar a sq ft for some of those travertine and marble copings :)

As soon as the sun comes out I will get some pictures.. It has been raining all last night.. The face looks great but the top is not perfect.. That is the reason they cut it up and sent it for a sample.. :)

The sun finally came out and I took some pictures of all the samples.. Out of all of them I love 2, the one I ordered and the White and tan Travertine (4th from the left).. The travertine cost 28 dollars a sq ft and the one I ordered cost 10... Easy decision in my book and the Precast coping will handle the freeze thaw with no problems :)

These are all the samples we have asked for
PXL_20210424_191152356.jpg
The 2 on the left are from DFWcoping.. The furthest one left is the white The Fresca (3rd one over) is really white but almost the same as the first one.. There was something wrong with them when they were made that is why they send them as samples and they looked good..

PXL_20210424_191159738.jpg
Here is the front edge of the modern on the left and the rock face on the right...
PXL_20210424_191206489.jpg
Closeup of the rockface
PXL_20210424_191213433.jpgPXL_20210424_202605310.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You went with rock faced one? I like it! And now I’m wondering how heavy was the overnight package?

I love the white ones... I actually got a second degree burn on the bottom of my foot years ago, walking barefoot on a reddish tan pool deck. Formed a huge blister and hurt like a lot of words I can’t say here!

I sure did order the rock face, I think it will look awesome in the white with the whole 24 inch piece... A foot blister sounds like no fun at all..

I sure did order the rock face, I think it will look awesome in the white with the whole 24 inch piece... A foot blister sounds like no fun at all..
Yay! That was my fave, besides the really expensive one. Excited to see it all come together!

You went with rock faced one? I like it! And now I’m wondering how heavy was the overnight package?

I love the white ones... I actually got a second degree burn on the bottom of my foot years ago, walking barefoot on a reddish tan pool deck. Formed a huge blister and hurt like a lot of words I can’t say here!
It was not that heavy, maybe 6 to 8 pounds or so :)

I guess the question really comes down to this:

What is a good price for coping? is 13 dollars a square foot good or a great price? Is the white coping a good price because it is a better coping? I have no idea... Do we have someone who knows these things?

If I can purchase this coping at 13 dollars a sq ft and pick it up in Texas it is only about 2600 with tax, shipping adds between 1000 and 2500 depending on where it is coming from...

FWIW Schluter makes coping profiles for your tile. Check out Rondec bullnose. Comes in plastics and metals like aluminum. Don't know if its pool friendly, I'm sure Schluter has all sorts of info (they're good about technical documentation). Schluter®-RONDEC | Edging & Outside Wall Corners | For Walls | Profiles | schluter.com

3 to 1 mud bed with Anti Hydro mix for waterproofing
MiraFlex Membrane C for positive and negative waterproofing
Mapei Granirapid thin bed adhesive (I would also test Laticrete 254 Platinum if I could find it locally)
Grout: I am still debating and will be testing the following 3 grouts for freeze thaw and submerged tests...
ultracolor-plus-fa
On site made 3 parts portland cement and 1 part sand with anti hydro mix
Laticrete SpectraLOCK Pro Premium

I don't know about making your own grout, but I've used plenty of Mapei products. They have excellent tech support and will provide you more then enough time for your questions. What ever you use, be aware of the cure time before it can be submerged. Ultracolor-plus-fa and Granirapid is 72 hours, which is fast. Some thinsets and grouts take 3 weeks.

I don't know about making your own grout, but I've used plenty of Mapei products. They have excellent tech support and will provide you more then enough time for your questions. What ever you use, be aware of the cure time before it can be submerged. Ultracolor-plus-fa and Granirapid is 72 hours, which is fast. Some thinsets and grouts take 3 weeks.

That is exactly why I went with Granirapid... I am still debating on grout and I am going to do a freeze thaw test with all 3, the winner gets used :)

I have some great news.. I drove down to Dallas and picked up my tile and coping.. My tile was made in Indonesia and my coping was all American made in Dallas.. The owner walked me through the whole setup so I was not able to get pictures but really neat how they do it.. :)

They were within 1/2 mile of each other in the Dallas Industrial district..

1622315007880.png

1622314972300.png

On to the GREAT part... Here is it all put together, the rock face coping with the 6 inch tile that will be directly under it and the the rest of the pool tile... It has so many different colors in it, some black, light and dark blue, purple, and all kinds of those shades, its really crazzy cause as the sun hits it and you move the colors shift, I was not expecting that... :)

PXL_20210529_173137745.jpgPXL_20210529_173017342.jpgPXL_20210529_173010352.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.