Owner Build all Tile pool: Initial layout and plans

Now that is just what I was thinking!!! One thing I would think about doing (not sure if it can be done so check on it) is having a small piped return in the middle of the bottom step to help keep that area clean. Some thing that just blows a little bit to keep it clear.

Now that is just what I was thinking!!! One thing I would think about doing (not sure if it can be done so check on it) is having a small piped return in the middle of the bottom step to help keep that area clean. Some thing that just blows a little bit to keep it clear.
hmmm, you are right... so I will have a return in each corner.. The northern stairs I can have a return pointing straight down them.. The southern stairs will have one going across the stairs, not as much help in clearing them....

ok thinking cap????? What if I made the steps longer, like 14 to 16 inches for each step, then the robot would be able to get on each step and clean it, maybe?? basically long steps

1618014814515.png
14 to 16 inches here

I don't think the robot will get on them but could be wrong.................AND we also need to talk about the shelf......it needs a return also for the same reason.............lets sleep on this one and see what we come up with in the morning!

The shelf will have 2 bubblers in it, I already have them, they connect to 1.5 inch threaded pipe... Need to add them to the drawing, forgot about them.. LOL

I might be able to put them close to the steps and have it move stuff away from the shelf :)

See I knew we would come up with something LOL

Casey, I have been thinking about your shelf..........you know me........worry wort..........those corner have me kind of worreid. Now I don't know if this is possible but could you make them flatter? kind of like this \_/ instead of \/

Kim:kim:

I have seen that used with 1 inch tiles, the corners (perimeter joints) are about 1 1/4 inch flattened.. either way you are "supposed" to use 100% silicone for any corner transition/perimeter joints... now I have never seen anyone do it in a pool and I think that is why you see many of those transitions failing because the grout cracks and lets water in and cracks some more over the years...

in this diagram you can see they always recommend 100% silicone

1618070539393.png

1618070607246.png

With that said I am "thinking" I may use grout also but make it a little thicker joint almost like you say, like this... as almost every pool I see has it done like this...

1618071461131.png

Attachments

• 1618070495565.png
    1618070495565.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 1
  • OGT-Pool-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf
    809 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ohhh my, what an awesome suggestion... I think those will work for everything.. I found the same thing in 2 inch by 4 inch white... now to figure out how many feet of steps and corner pieces.. about 30 dollars a foot with tax.. about a 100 dollars per step, $1,300 just for the shelf... might be a little to expensive for my blood... Lets see if I can find the same thing in ceramic tile...

1618145868773.png

Ok, I found this and it is ceramic but of course I can not buy it because it is NPT.. I just emailed Frank at little tile Little Tile Inc - online source to swimming pool tile, glass and mosaics for spa, hot tubs, jacuzzis and swimming pools so hopefully he can get it or something similar

WHITE​

STANDARD GLOSSY FINISH
2"x6" SINGLE MUD CAP (A4200-100 )
1618150734577.png

This is in blue, I think I would put the larger side on the top to see it easier and give more contrast..

1618150828047.png

What does everyone think?

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Looks like Frank is THE man to help you find what you want! I wonder if he is as nice in real life as his web site makes him seem!

I LOVE that whole idea..........not the price tag but it will solve two problems at the same time so will be worth it to me. I think the color depend on what will contrast the best with your main tile.

Reactions: cowboycasey
I like how you have each suction and return point plumbed seperately back to the pad. Complete control!

I like the curved tiles. Regarding your question about putting the larger side on the top, what does that do to the grout? Now you'd more easily see a large triangle grout shape on a curved step like that. Although I don't remember seeing any curves in your earlier pics. If it is a straight line, then the contrast would be nice for folks to see.

Andrew

Reactions: cowboycasey
Looks like Frank is THE man to help you find what you want! I wonder if he is as nice in real life as his web site makes him seem!

I LOVE that whole idea..........not the price tag but it will solve two problems at the same time so will be worth it to me. I think the color depend on what will contrast the best with your main tile.
He is really nice.. I am ordering all my tile through him and Fujiwa is shipping it to me from there Dallas yard... You can call him and he talks all about how to do it and install DIY, talked with me for about 40 minutes one day driving to a pool to install tile :)

I really think the white will contrast the most with the blue and be really sharp looking..

Reactions: kimkats
I like how you have each suction and return point plumbed seperately back to the pad. Complete control!

I like the curved tiles. Regarding your question about putting the larger side on the top, what does that do to the grout? Now you'd more easily see a large triangle grout shape on a curved step like that. Although I don't remember seeing any curves in your earlier pics. If it is a straight line, then the contrast would be nice for folks to see.

Andrew
no curves at all, all straight so no issues... That is the only picture I could find of that tile installed :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.