NOOB Pool and deck almost complete.***DONE***FREE PIZZA*****

Re: NOOB Pool and deck almost complete.

techguy said:
I read a comment in this or another thread today, the valves that sell at Lowes and HD may not be the correct valves for pool use. I read the red handled valves are not for pool use and the ball in the valve swells and it makes them hard to use. I am not an expert, just passing along what I read. It may do you some good to do some research so you know more than the kid at the box store. Some of the employee know their stuff, others know where the box the has the white parts are.

Good thing I didn't use the red handled ones I bought for my installation, I ended up using the Hayward one. http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP0723-Tr ... ball+valve

jblizzle said:
I think they should have a stamp on then indicating schedule 40 ... usually rare to find the sweeps though.
I was at Home Depot buying PVC fittings for a repair earlier this week. I asked the guy about schedule 40 90s and he pointed to the DWV. He didn't know what he was talking about. I was trying to get a sweep instead of a sharp 90. They didn't have one.

Mine ended up being about 1" off, but I have somewhat of an elaborate foundation. I actually bought an aftermarket Intex pump and sand filter unit, it works GREAT! my pump flowrate is about 2600 gph, a bit faster than I need but I'm very happy with the ease of setup.

Only thing is that the threaded connections on the intex equipment are all 1.75" NPT, so if you go to PVC or need other adapters for your plumbing you will have to get an adapter from 1.75" NPT down to 1.5 PVC or NPT, not too hard but you will spend some time at the hardware store looking at fittings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: NOOB Pool and deck almost complete.***DONE***FREE PIZZA*

LOL. Dang pizza guy got lost. Thanks for the comments. I am thinking of using fishing rope netting to hang around the bottom of the deck instead of the lattice. A mast with a rope so the kids and swing into the pool, might be possible. I need to review how safe that would be though.

I think that, for safety, a swing probably would not be the best idea. There are too many things that could go wrong.

Your local inspector/codes allows that type of railing on the deck? Just currious.

Most areas do not allow "climbable" railings anymore.

Anyway, nice looking pool:)

I wasnt going to call him out on it. Shhhhhhh hes got a lot of property so no permit ( that style railing was suitable up until the late 70's my grandfather had it on a deck 40+ feet off the ground) we never died/ got hurt. Lol

Local inspector? Codes? What's that? I inspected it and I liked it so it passed. I live in the most rural area of my small county. My closest neighbor is 300 yards away with no kids. I'm not worried about codes or inspectors out here. Half the deck is less than 30 inches off the ground so I'm half legal LOL.

jguard68 said:
Local inspector? Codes? What's that? I inspected it and I liked it so it passed. I live in the most rural area of my small county. My closest neighbor is 300 yards away with no kids. I'm not worried about codes or inspectors out here. Half the deck is less than 30 inches off the ground so I'm half legal LOL.

Lol i would do the same. But just so you know anything over 18" off the ground is supposed to have railings 36" tall with spaces between the rails deck and balusters no bigger than 4" ( industry standard uses 3 1/2" spaces). And anything over 72" off the ground the railing height requirement is 42" min.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.