NOOB Pool and deck almost complete.***DONE***FREE PIZZA*****

Re: NOOB Pool Not Level. What should I do?

I think you are struggling with terminology. There are filters, pumps, and SWG ... 3 different pieces of equipment. It is up to you whether you want to use a sand filter or a DE filter or a cartridge filter. There are better cartridges available you could try.
Any can be used with or without a salt SWG which only generates the daily FC for you instead of you having to add it.

Likely you are confused because you are looking at the combo systems.

Well, as the title says, I am a noob at this. :hammer: You were in fact helpful so thank you. So for now, I'll be using the salt converter with my cartridge filter/pump. We'll see how that goes. Eventually I would like a sand filter system. :cheers:

jguard68 said:
Ok, so I got the pool back up and within two inches of level, I can't decide what type of system to use. I know I am NOT using the cartridge that came with the pool. So, I'm open for suggestions on what is best: Sand or salt. I'll post pictures later.

Good job on the re-leveling. I use the sand filter with a saltwater system. Even if I decided to go back to chlorine tabs and eliminate the saltwater chlorination system :party: , I would still maintain a saltwater pool. Just to clarify, sand is a type of filter and salt is a means for chlorinating the pool. Intex makes a combo system or you can by each separately.

Ok, you guys have been tremendously helpful during my pool installation. I'm almost there. Now, we have decided to go ahead and get it where we want so we want to replace the cartridge filter pump with a sand filter pump. Also, we need to install a skimmer because we have a tree near by depositing debris. Again, we have the Intex 18x48 Ultra frame pool and a $300 budget for the skimmer and sand/filter/pump. Thanks in advance guys.

Well, I was looking at a wall skimmer but I don't feel comfortable cutting the opening required or draining any of the water that I paid out the Rear for. I could use Intex's clamp on skimmer over night and just remove it when we are in the pool. Or something....

Isn't it possible to install those wall skimmers without draining water? You screw the inner and outer plates together (granted a little will leak out as you make the hole when you screw through). Then you can cut the skimmer hole out afterward when all the plumbing is installed ... so you really would not lose much water.

Never done it ... just that is what I pictured in my head by reading some of the threads here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The skimmer mentioned above is easy to install. You find the correct level using the face frame, mark two dots thru the top corners using a Sharpie (above the water line). Adjust the "dots" until the two dots are level (using a level). Hold the face frame and gasket to the inside of the pool where the two dots are, poke two smallish holes (small x's?) through the pool wall through the frame holes and push the bolt through the frame and wall. The skimmer body and gasket should then be mounted to the two bolts. You then work you way around the face frame (in a star pattern like a the lugnuts on a car wheel) poking small holes, pushing the bolt and then mounting the body frame. When you get all the bolts in the face frame and it is not leaking, you cut out the liner inside the face frame opening and the water enters the skimmer body.

You can bring the water level down if this is less stressful for you.

I did this with my steel wall pool when I changed my liner last summer.

Well I ordered the intex 2650gph sand filter and intex clamp on surface skimmer. I just don't feel comfortable installing the ttw skimmer. If the intex surface skimmer fails to do the job then I will more than likely get the ttw skimmer. I will be hard plumbing my set up so I will be studying some of the set ups posted on this site. If anyone has any advice before I start buying supplies for the plumbing, I'd appreciate any further insight. Again, I would like to extend my appreciation to all who have helped thus far. More to come...

Well, I've reached maximum frustration with the Intex clamp on surface skimmer. It will not stay clamped. I'm going to be forced to do something that I don't want to do which is cut my pool to install a thru wall. I searched for videos on doing this but no such luck. I should stick to using the skimmer net probably.

Agreed, those clamps don't hold anything. I had to resort to a piece of 1" PVC pipe tied to two of the uprights to hold mine in position. Loos "hillbilly" or "redneck", but it works until I can order and install the hayward sp1091.

Thought I would update with some pics of where I am currently with this pool. I still have some back filling to do with limestone sand. The pool deck constructions starts this Saturday along with electrical. A lot of work to do still but the pool is usable for now. My house sits on a mountain so that's the reason for such a long distance to the pool. I didn't want any excavating done near the house. And there is also a pic of my arch nemesis, the Intex clamp on surface skimmer. I don't like it much. :twisted:

sand filters are great..and perfect for your setup....Salt is NOT a filtration device. When you see people talking about Salt..the are normally talking about Salt Water Chlorine Generators, which produce Chlorine by using the salt you've added to the pool water.

(EDIT: OOPS..sorry, I posted after I read just the first page..I didn't see there was a second page. My Bad) Pool looks good!!!

My chlorine level is very low. Has been since I've been using the salt system. Seems like it just can't put out enough chlorine. My water is crystal clear but I've used the test strips plus HTH 6 way test and the water doesn't even change color it's so low. Is it safe to use household bleach to boost the levels in a salt system?

Sure you can use regular bleach. The kind with no addatives.

Can you turn your SWG up ? You should also consider getting a good test kit like the TF100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Yes, household bleach is perfect!

I highly recommend the TF100 test kit. It's about the same cost as two boards in your new deck and it will save you several hundred dollars each swim season for at least two year.

This way you can see if the SWG can generate enough FC to maintain or if you need to add liquid bleach in addition to what your SWG generates. You may find the SWG is fine most days but when it gets hot or after a party, you may need some extra liquid.

A test strip is like your car speedometer telling you are going somewhere between 30 and 100 MPH when you have a cop on your rear bumper in a school zone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.