NOOB Pool and deck almost complete.***DONE***FREE PIZZA*****

Re: NOOB Pool Not Level. What should I do?

I avoided it for a full swim season. Once you commit to it, you go "What was I thinking?"

It will seem like a drop in the bucket relative to the cost of a deck and it will get used every single day of the swim season.

A test strip is like your car speedometer telling you are going somewhere between 30 and 100 MPH when you have a cop on your rear bumper in a school zone.
I just had a coke out my nose moment; that's too funny!!! It's a perfect analogy!
OMG!!! I just did it again when I realized what I wrote! :shock: That's Coca-cola out my nose!
Still, it's a good analogy!
:goodjob:

When the package arrives, is opened & water tested ~ it has at that point paid for itself, tenfold.

I don't say that about many products ~ but I truly believe if you are taking care of a pool ~ it is a must have purchase.

It isn't safe for anybody to just blindly drop products into the waters they encourage their friends, family and they themselves live in during the summer. Especially when these products are pushed upon people desperate for clear water at any cost, by someone unaware of the science & dazzled with dollar signs opposed to being truly concerned about how it affects the bodies of the people swimming in the waters.

The moment you open your package ~ at that point you have complete control over the pool and you know all who enter are getting in safe sanitary water ~ you can't put a dollar amount on that kind of peace of mind. An added side bonus ~ you will save money using the BBB method. Someone has it in their signature how much money they saved over a couple years once they quit going to the pool store ~ it's very impressive. One trip to the pool store, for most, is easily more than the cost of the kit itself.

To me though the very bottom line is the people and critters I love the most in this world spend time in our pool ~ I want them to enjoy it safely and with the kit I can ensure that happens at all times.

I think I have the wife convinced to the order the test kit. Our water is crystal clear so it shouldn't be too far off.

On another note, I think I have decided to install a thru wall skimmer but what do I do with the old pump intake hole? Just cap it off?

I wish I knew how to build a deck partially around my pool. I've never built a deck before and I wouldn't know where to start. Can someone suggest a site that can show me how?

jguard68 said:
On another note, I think I have decided to install a thru wall skimmer but what do I do with the old pump intake hole? Just cap it off?

i still use mine in conjunction with the skimmer. i ran pvc pipe and connected it to the pipe that comes down from the skimmer. i sometimes use the skimmer and sometimes use the original suction. my thinking is i can get the stuff at the surface with the skimmer and then cut that off and use the strainer to get the stuff floating lower in the water.

The deck is coming along OK. I wanted a rustic pier look so I used some old treated lumber we had laying around. 100% solid wood. I like the look. I'll still take the belt sander to a bit. My first deck, so go easy on me, should be done by the weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Switching gears from the deck to installing the Hayward wall skimmer and hard plumbing.
Installing the skimmer was uneventful.

That's all for now. I have a couple leaks I need to deal with tomorrow.

With the pool being so far from the house, I also built a new storage shed. A lot of firsts for me this summer. First pool. First deck. First shed. I owe it all to youtube and Lowes.

Thanks. It's a lot of fun. As for the hard plumbing on the pool, I went cheap on the valves and I don't like them. One of the handles leaks. Also, I only used teflon on all the screw on connections so I have leaks everywhere. I plan on using Oatey's great white to fix. Now that the pump and filter have been relocated under the deck, I can finish it up with some lattice work and my rope railings as well and call this project done.

Re: NOOB Pool and deck almost complete.

So the hard plumb is complete. Fixed all the leaks. Please look it over and let me know if there is something I could have done better or any potential problems. I can't find any issues at the moment the system is working good with no loss of pressure and flow is great. Now maybe I can concentrate on the deck and landscaping this weekend.

These leaks have been fixed using Oatey's Great White

jblizzle said:
Are those schedule 40 fittings? They look like drain/waste sweeps that are not designed for pressure applications.
A friendly Lowes expert helped gather everything, told him everything should be for schedule 40 and for water under pressure for a pool pump. He seemed knowledgeable to my needs so I let him help me out. If these are the incorrect type of 90's I should be using I have no problem making changes. I need to throw a couple more union's in there and I seriously do not like these valves. I'll keep the one on the skimmer because it seems to work very well but the other two are Crud and leak at the handles. So, I guess I'm not done yet. :hammer:

I read a comment in this or another thread today, the valves that sell at Lowes and HD may not be the correct valves for pool use. I read the red handled valves are not for pool use and the ball in the valve swells and it makes them hard to use. I am not an expert, just passing along what I read. It may do you some good to do some research so you know more than the kid at the box store. Some of the employee know their stuff, others know where the box the has the white parts are.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.