NOOB Pool and deck almost complete.***DONE***FREE PIZZA*****

Jun 6, 2013
Ohio
Hello all. New here new to pools. Set up an Intex 18x48 pool. I have no level spots on my property so I put the pool in the best location. Wondering if I can get away with this setup or drain it. I paid 150.00 to have it filled so I'd rather not drain it if at all possible. Thanks for taking a look.

Re: NOOB Pool Not Level. What should I do?

If it was an inch out of level, I'd say that you're okay. That looks beyond what would be okay to me. That looks like a good 7 inches to me. I think that you're going to have to drain and re-level.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Yeah ... that is WAY out of level and could fail.

There are numerous threads that describe the process of setting up these pools. #1 is to always dig down to level, never raise up.

I have no idea how to level the ground so I think I just wasted a junk of money. Will the whole pool need to be disassembled or can it be moved after the water is drained as is. Sorry for these questions but I have no experience.

Wow, that looks pretty dangerous. I'd drain it, suck up the loss, and level the ground properly. You already have the pool so there's no reason not to do it right. Once you do, you'll be happy with the end result. Take your time and "dig down" the high areas. There are plenty of threads on this.

As far as taking it apart or just moving it, I'd take it apart and move the liner separately and carefully. Putting the pool together was the easiest part.

(18x48 @ 6,423 Gallons = 53,601.6 Pounds) That's a lot of weight to have heaving to one side...

Good Luck :cheers:

I was able to move mine around assembled, but with zero water, and a tarp underneath. 3 people pulling on the tarp and the whole thing slid easily. Not so sure how it will work with residual water inside.

Work hard to drain the maximum amount if you want to try and move it without disassembling.

Hey crew...newby to the forum!

I feel your pain, I was in the same position last year, but not quite as bad. I was out 4-5 inches on one side. I spent a lot of effort trying to get it level but I did it the wrong way. The wife said it "looks level to me"..."your too fussy", so I filled it. I managed to salvage the season being out that much. This year I have done it right. I have used split cedar logs to retain 3/4 crush gravel. I rented a laser to be sure it is level. I picked up 8 sheets of 4x8 Styrofoam as a cushion over the gravel. I didn't boather using the blue tarp. It all looks great! I am waiting for my Intex 2650GPH sand pump to arrive, then I will fill the pool. I have the salt water system. I just now have to figure out how to install the Eco 20' solar panels??

I had no idea that this 16' pool would be such a big job to get set up properly. I have had fun getting it all set up this year, I just need to fill it!

If you can get the pool "a little more level" you should be fine. I am down about 3 squares on one side when the pool is at the normal full mark. When it rains and the pool is high, I am only about 1.5 squares off and it has not been a problem. We swam all winter and the pool never shifted or seemed unstable.

In case it has not already been mentioned, you are never going to keep that pool clear with the filter that is attached. You should consider getting a sand filter/pump or get the Intex 2500 gph pump that sells for 85-95 bucks.

f3justusc said:
If you can get the pool "a little more level" you should be fine. I am down about 3 squares on one side when the pool is at the normal full mark. When it rains and the pool is high, I am only about 1.5 squares off and it has not been a problem. We swam all winter and the pool never shifted or seemed unstable.

In case it has not already been mentioned, you are never going to keep that pool clear with the filter that is attached. You should consider getting a sand filter/pump or get the Intex 2500 gph pump that sells for 85-95 bucks.
Yes we were going to buy the sand filter. But that will prob have to wait now that we have to pay to have the pool filled again. That is, if I can figure out how to level the ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

There's lots of videos available online that show a person how to level a pool site and there's lots of threads here that show the same, so the information is easily available if you pursue it. Leveling a pool site is not difficult and is well within an average persons abilities. The link in my signature shows one easy way to do it.

This is a safety issue, your pool is leaning far too much and there is a risk of pool failure. Your goal should be getting the site to within 1" of level so you have confidence your family is safe, and don't accept other peoples views suggesting "Oh, it's ok if your a few inches off level." No, your not. Just because a pool hasn't collapsed dosn't mean it won't collapse, and if that person's pool does collapse in the future I doubt they'll contact you to say they were wrong.

cramar said:
There's lots of videos available online that show a person how to level a pool site and there's lots of threads here that show the same, so the information is easily available if you pursue it. Leveling a pool site is not difficult and is well within an average persons abilities. The link in my signature shows one easy way to do it.

This is a safety issue, your pool is leaning far too much and there is a risk of pool failure. Your goal should be getting the site to within 1" of level so you have confidence your family is safe, and don't accept other peoples views suggesting "Oh, it's ok if your a few inches off level." No, your not. Just because a pool hasn't collapsed dosn't mean it won't collapse, and if that person's pool does collapse in the future I doubt they'll contact you to say they were wrong.
I've already drained the pool. Even having NO experience with these pools I knew it wasn't safe. I will check out your info and see if leveling the pool is something I can do. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. :cheers:

You can do it! Do yourself a favor and build a super simple bucket water level before you do any more leveling. I know a lot of people use the 4' level on a piece of wood method, and that gets things close but not exact.

The bucket level is very easy to make, and once you've made it, makes it much easier to see how much out of level a spot is, down to 1/8" or less.

I used this method to level my pool, after using the level and wood method. Glad I did!

Here is a link to the one I built. Go down to Method 2 and use that one. It is just a small bucket, tubing long enough to reach from one side of the pool to the other, and a meter stick. If you need any help making or using this, let me know! I really just tell you enough how helpful this was, and our pool came out perfectly leveled.

http://www.buildeazy.com/fp_waterlevel.html

cramar said:

I am not telling the initial poster to do anything based on my actions and I did say, you should attempt to get it "more level". I absolutely agree that there is a wealth of information that provides guidance in the leveling process.

Since you DO NOT know me, I will give you a glimpse into who I am. IF my pool does collapse, I certainly would come to the forum and say, yep, I was wrong and now I see the need to get it perfectly level. I am not to proud to admit my mistakes. I post here is to give my opinion as one of many that participate in the forum. There is NOTHING that requires anyone to take the statements as the sole authority on any subject.

How much gravel can I have under the pool. I had someone come out and level the ground but now I'm afraid of water not draining from around the pool so I'm gonna need a gravel base tampered down tight. Is this recommended?

Use 2A modified crush/er. It's compactable. Gravel is not.

It's gravel (depending on where you live) in size up to 1 3/4" with limestone dust. It's also known as crush, crusher, crush n run, or 2A modified. It sets up like concrete when you add water to it and run a plate compactor over it to compact it.

Call around to stone companies and see if they carry it. Use the different names until they say, Oh YES!!! We have that! It's called 2A Modified here. :mrgreen:

Casey said:
It's gravel (depending on where you live) in size up to 1 3/4" with limestone dust. It's also known as crush, crusher, crush n run, or 2A modified. It sets up like concrete when you add water to it and run a plate compactor over it to compact it.

Call around to stone companies and see if they carry it. Use the different names until they say, Oh YES!!! We have that! It's called 2A Modified here. :mrgreen:
Ah ok. I'll check around. I will update with progress, hopefully soon.

Ok, so I got the pool back up and within two inches of level, I can't decide what type of system to use. I know I am NOT using the cartridge that came with the pool. So, I'm open for suggestions on what is best: Sand or salt. I'll post pictures later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.