No lights on my Hayward SWG

There's a figure here towards the end of the hayward SWG wiki page that shows some test points and the voltages you should see at each point.

I'd check to see what voltages you see at the test points.

My guess is either a voltage regulator died, or something in the display died and is pulling down the voltage between pins 1 and 3. Since I don't know the pin assignments for the display connector it makes it hard to figure out.
But if a reg died, you could replace it and save some money.

Some info at the very end of the wiki page with some part numbers:

U13 & U14 Repair​

If the board is missing 5VDC between pins 2 & 4 on the display board you can try repairing by replacing U13 (MAX809JTRG), Digi-key MAX809JTRGOSCT-ND.[62]

If the 5Vdc is confirmed missing at Pin# 4 on the Display Board then most likely the U13 chip is bad and safe to assume the U14 chip is still good.

• U13 is MAX809JTRG, Digi-Key MAX809JTRGOSCT-ND[63]
  • U14 is MIC2514, Digi-Key 576-1085-1-ND[64]

Interesting it checks for 5V between 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3.

Randy

I'd measure resistance between pins 2 and 4 on the display board with it unplugged, maybe somehow it developed a short.

It could still be main board, I've seen voltage regulators work ok with no load and then not work under load.
But I would expect it to put out some voltage less than 5V, and not 0 VDC. Assuming nothing is 0 VDC.

Randy

The verdict is in. Its the main board. The new knock off main board complete with Display board was $250. My old display board works fine on it.

The new thermistor on it is huge compared to the old ones.

The Thermistor on the old board is clearly cracked. One of the big capacitors on the board has a bulge on the top. I wonder if that means its blown. If you look at the one with the writing on top it has the small bulge.

Just to double check there is voltage across 1-3 and 2-4 with the display board on.

Attachments

• 19BE2A96-D865-4B6A-A2F1-AE6BDEC26679.jpeg
    19BE2A96-D865-4B6A-A2F1-AE6BDEC26679.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 9
If you want to try to repair that board, I'd replace both big caps. But pretty sure they are part of the circuit that generates the main voltage for the swg cell. The 5V is generated from the swg cell voltage. So likely there are other problems on the main board, I'm betting on one or more of the voltage regulators. All of this is an educated guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.