NO FREE CHLORINE

Sorry for the short answer before. Darn kids were pulling me all over the place.

Last year I swapped my in-laws pool from baquacil over to chlorine. We would shock the pool to a FC level of 15x and less that 20 minutes later out test would read zero. Day or night....we fought this pool. At one point I think our CC hit almost the 9ppm mark. Ewwwww

After a few days of solid shocking we started keeping some chlorine in the pool. After about a week we tested 0cc's and we now seldom lose any chlorine overnight. I've yet to test for even a .5CC mark....as I'd flip out if I did. Stay with it....you will win! Once you do you can keep lowering your cya level and make your life even easier. After that it's all about watching the sparkles!

Why are the numbers on the chlorine/cya chart on this site different from the pool calculator site?
Example, with my cya of 70 the chlorine / cya chart says to use 28 as shock level and the other says 20. Also the normal levels are different, 8 vs 5. I've been using the pool calculator numbers :?:

Smykowski said:
Chlorine/CYA chart is more conservative. If you use the pool calculators numbers and use them as an absolute minimum, you'll be fine.
Actually, it is just the opposite. The Chlorine/CYA chart is more aggressive.

Both will work, but one (Chlorine/CYA Chart) should work a little faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My water look good-I can easily see the deep end drain- my test this morning at 7:00 after shocking last night to 20 were:

FC-14
CC 1 drop.....Using the diluted water method (waiting for ordered drop refills) so I think CC is 1 or less.
Didn't check ph

Keep it up! Sounds like in a few more day's you'll have a pool that's going to be a SNAP to keep clean. Keep a close eye on your CYA level and allow it to drop down around 40, and once you are finished enjoy your new pool. I promise your husband that the $800 you guys spent on new water will EASILY be cheaper than trying the "pool store" approach again the entire year. You would NOT have got your shock level above what would have been needed to clear the pool at the start. Keep clearing up the pool....and enjoy the ease of the year. A few cups of chlorine a day (I add about 9 cups of 10% chlorine a day) is going to be almost all you'll need.

My pool is crystal clear! I'm holding my Shock level longer and longer-my ph went up to 7.5 today-lots of rain. Hoping to maybe pass my over night test- my cc is pretty much 0- does that mean the chlorine is done eating stuff?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.