NO FREE CHLORINE

Yikes, 128oz of 31% muriatic acid will lower the pH by 1.18 ... was the pH of 7.8 before or after the acid.

If before, you are now down around 6.6 ... WAY too low!!!

You want to keep the pH in the 7s.

pH test will read high if FC > 10ppm

If your pH is too low (<7), you really should add soda ash or borax to get it back up quickly as aerating can take awhile.

Make sure you are calculating accurate dosages using the poolcalculator

Let's clarify a couple of points which are important.
The first is that if your FC (free chlorine) is high, it affects the pH test. Here's the rule: Do not rely upon a pH test reading when your FC is 10 or above. This is why we had you wait until after the shock process was complete before working on the pH. I think you said your FC was ~7, so you are OK to check the pH. Which you did, and got 7.5, which is right in the range you want it, 7.2 - 7.6.

Second is that TA affects pH. High TA tends to 'pull' the pH up. The way to lower TA is by adding acid, but acid also lowers pH, and you should not let the pH go below 7.0. You shouldn't try to adjust the TA just because it's not some magical target number. If the pH is relatively stable and your pool isn't scaling or cloudy, the TA is fine.

I'm also getting an "urgency" vibe in your posts. Remember that your pool didn't fall out of whack overnight, so it won't be perfect overnight. Secondly, once you get the chemistry balanced, your pool will fall into a natural equilibrium. HOWEVER, you have to find that equilibrium. If you try to do to much at one time, the numbers will swing back and forth, and that equilibrium will never be reached.

Add enough borax to get it to 7.2, then wait and see what happens.

I just want to point one thing out. When I plug in his numbers, MAKING SURE TO PUT 400 IN FOR TA, I get that it would take 236 oz to lower his pH from 7.8 to 7.2. With a higher TA, the acid doesn't move the pH as much. You can't use the Effects of Adding Chemicals section for a TA that high.

If your FC is below 10, retest. I bet you are closer to 7.4. (Pool cal says to add 132 oz to drop from 7.8 to 7.4.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let's all learn more about TA.......
http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/total-a ... pools.html

Here's an exact quote from their website...and this guy know's his stuff!

Well, my TA is XX ppm; what should I do?
Usually, nothing! If you have a vinyl or fiberglass pool, no heater, no scaling, and no problem with your pH level changin erratically . . . don't worry about it!

You still want to work on lowering your TA some, as you'll find that it takes a TON of acid to lower your PH when you need to. Take your time, work on it when your PH get's high....enjoy your new pool. :D

My pools been clear for a whole week or so now- I get my FC up to 10-11 in the evening. At the end of the day I check my ph (after the FC goes down-not past 5 though). It's crept up since my 2 gal.dump of mur.acid. It's at about PH 7.5. My TA is at about 300. I did the diluted method and added about 13 drops for a light pick color.My PH has been 7.5 for a few days-with swimmers and lots of heat and sun. We are supposed to get 1/2 inch of rain today/tonight. If my PH continues to stay at about 7.5 without much up and down, should I not worry too much about my high TA level?

Kjohnson said:
My pools been clear for a whole week or so now- I get my FC up to 10-11 in the evening. At the end of the day I check my ph (after the FC goes down-not past 5 though). It's crept up since my 2 gal.dump of mur.acid. It's at about PH 7.5. My TA is at about 300. I did the diluted method and added about 13 drops for a light pick color.My PH has been 7.5 for a few days-with swimmers and lots of heat and sun. We are supposed to get 1/2 inch of rain today/tonight. If my PH continues to stay at about 7.5 without much up and down, should I not worry too much about my high TA level?

It's fine right there. The rain may even help as it should have a lower TA.

On here they like to keep the pH between 7.5 - 7.8, but I find, personally, that once it gets to 7.6, I get uncomfortable. 7.4-7.5 is perfect for me. I throw in a bit of acid each time my pH gets to that 7.7-7.8 area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.