newby in Walnut creek, CA

Are you sure the chlorine is not hurting the pool? It certainly seems to be. I keep noticing more black stone coming through, (behind the plaster), and sometimes I can't tell if it's part of the pool, or black algae...or black algae on the stone. Yes, it's a nightmare.

I had my wife look at it, (whose eyes are better than mine), and she said it's definitely part of the pool coming through. Btw, I'm sure I have driven her crazy with this by now....she told me to give this up and hire a professional.

Again, if it is changing during the SLAM process, it would be from brushing. What are you using for a brush?

By now, you are more professional than most professionals are at proper algae removal. If there is algae on the damaged plaster, they too will have to brush it and I would bet they are not as sensitive to paying for new plaster as you are.

I don't think you are losing it, I think you are in the middle of battle.

Not necessary to do this, since chlorine will take care of ammonia too, but you might want to stop by a fish store and get an ammonia test kit (or have them test your water...you don't need to tell them it's pool water) and see if you are fighting high levels of ammonia.

After 17 days, I'm definitely losing.

I don't think it is ammonia since I replaced most of the water...but what do I know.

I think I will try your suggestion...shock it at 19 and then test again tomorrow morning...if it still fails, I need to call it quits.

linen, I tried your suggestion and shocked it at 19 yesterday. This morning when I tested, I lost only 1ppm of FC and the CC was at .5...and true water is clear. So officially I passed the test but I'm not so sure I believe it. The smell of chlorine out

there is terrible....really strong. I'd like to think it's just from the very high FC level but I also know that the smell comes from the CC. Any thoughts?

Also, what do I do now??

Thanks.

I agree with your intuition, I would not stop the SLAM process yet if the smell is that strong. At least, let's see what your next OCLT is.

This next idea is not necessary or needed usually, but one other thing you can do when you smell the odor, is do the fas-dpd with the 25 ml amount. Use 2 dippers of the R-0870, then add the R-081 drops and multiply your result by 0.2 (instead of 0.5). Use 5 drops of the R-0003 for the CC part of the test and as before multiply your number of R-0871 drops by 0.2. This will allow you to have greater resolution on CC, which isn't normally needed, but but might be a good idea for you to get an idea see if CC is >0.2 ppm which would tell you if what you are smelling is high chlorine or if you are still getting some CC.

I believe I can small CC above 0.3 or so.

Technically, if you did the 25 ml sample and it took two drops to clear the CC (so CC of 0.4) we would have you continue to SLAM. The reason why we don't typically worry about it is in most instances CC is either clearly high or less than 0.2 ppm. In your case, since you SLAM has been long and your FC and CC levels have jumped around and additionally you are smelling what might be CC...I am trying to be safe not sorry in suggesting a 25 ml sample. Another alternative is to stay with the 10 ml sample and use your nose to determine when you no longer smell CC (if it is CC you are smelling).

Keep your FC at 19-20 and do another OCLT tonight. If you want, use the 25 ml sample, but make sure you do it the same for both the evening and the morning tests if you do to remain consistent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Almost the same result this morning...only lost .5 FC overnight and CC is still .5. But it is the same out there...very strong chlorine smell. Not sure what to think...I still don't trust it. And I don't have enough reagent to do the .2 test. I have some

ordered but it could take a few days.

stevemac213 said:
CC is still .5
Do you mean the first drop does not totally make it clear, but the second one does? If yes, then your CC >0.5 ppm and then you need to continue the SLAM process. If not, I would say you are done, but keep track of the "smell" and if it does not subside or if CC (>0.5ppm) shows up as the FC drops back to maintenance level, then get back up to SLAM level and continue the process.

UV from the sun will break down the CC. That's my guess on why you no longer smell it at noon. It has dropped below smell level. (This is also one of the reasons the OCLT is done overnight when there is no UV from the sun to affect CC.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.