newby in Walnut creek, CA

Yep, water is so clear I can see all the spots where plaster used to be that I scraped off, trying to get at the BA. But I am also noticing some green staining, especially around the main drain at the bottom, which I assume is from the copper piping in

the heater. They don't really bother me, since the plaster is not in great shape, but I just don't want the kid's hair turning green when swim season comes around. Should I be concerned about that?

Thanks.

Unless you had the pH too low or poured acid or had Trichlor in the skimmer, then it is unlikely for any significant amount of copper to come from your gas heater heat exchanger and you say you recently replaced a lot of your water. Copper can come from a copper-based algaecide or "all-in-one" products and some Trichlor pucks have copper in them as well. Does brushing the drain clear off the green? If so, then it's not a stain.

Your situation with problems at the bottom of your pool (be it black or green) in spite of presumably high chlorine levels sounds like you have no circulation there. Is your main drain operational? Do you have any of your returns pointed somewhat downward to improve bottom circulation? You earlier wrote that you have been brushing the pool so normally that would help to circulate the water to the bottom.

Well, I did have stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer when I was trying to raise the CYA a little. I tried brushing it off and it did nothing...so it's definitely stained.

I am not sure if the main drain is operational...how do you tell? The water seems to be flowing into the pool without a problem, so I assume it is, and there is now way to direct the water downward...I tried but the returns don't move.

And I am still noticing more black spots on the bottom, in the shallow end, even though I passed the OCLT twice. So I guess it didn't work after all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.