newby in Walnut creek, CA

stevemac213 said:
Well, could it be that I replaced most of the water? (probably 80%)
But your FC is being used fast, so something is consuming it and you overnight drop of 13.5 ppm indicates that something is not the sun. Next time you do a FC test, test the CC as well.

stevemac213 said:
It is reading about 8.5. What do you mean by clean pressure? (I think it was about 9 or 10 before I started this)
Clean pressure is right after you clean the filter, before junk has a chance to accumulate on the filter surface and raise the pressure. Assuming your clean pressure is 8.5, then you would want to clean the cart at ~10.5 psi.

Something definitely not right. The test this morning showed FC at 4 but the CC went up to 4.5!! Please tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.

Should I be adding more chlorine? Should I raise my target from 10? Why is the gauge on the filter not moving...do I need to replace the cartridges? (I did order new ones and they should arrive today)

Thanks.

Not sure on the CC, but since it is there you need to continue the SLAM process. (I asked the question since I was suspecting ammonia, but after rereading your thread that seems unlikely given the large drain/refill you did).

Unless you are fairly certain the current ones are damaged and not catching anything, I would stay with the old ones until the SLAM process is done. Once you pass the OCLT and CC<0.5, then your water should continue to clear, but if it does not, then I would change out the filters.

CC jumping around is pretty normal during a slam. In the daytime, the UV from the sun is burning off CC. But at night, there isn't much that affects it, so it builds up. Since your FC is dropping and CC continues to be present, the chlorine is attacking something organic (algae). Keep going--you're doing great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, but why is the CC going up? Shouldn't it be going down?
It fluctuates. I wouldn't even test for CC's until the SLAM needs completion. Your focus needs to be on keeping your FC at SLAM value and that will eventually eliminate the CC's.

Get your FC back up! :lol:

Almost there...FC @ 10 this am and CC @ 1. Hopefully will be done by tomorrow, which will have been one week.

Question, will there still be algae on my solar blanket and if so, do I need to remove it or will it die on it's own? (it's been off for over a week and I don't plan to put it back on till next spring).

Thanks.

Thought I'd be done this am but seem to be going backwards. FC was only 2.5 and CC was 1.5. It has been a week now and I thought it would be much quicker than this since I replaced most of the water. The gauge still hasn't moved on the filter.

I'm ready to pack it in...seems like I'm just spinning my wheels.

What did you most recent cya test give (it needs to be one that you did with sun at your back)?

When and what was the FC when you tested prior to your test in the last post?

Are you brushing the pool walls at least daily?

Previously, I think you had mentioned black "spots", how are those looking?

That CYA test was about 30. (maybe less)

The FC test previous to this morning was yesterday about 6pm and it was 8.5 so I added more chlorine.

There was black algae but I scraped most of it off before starting and it is looking much better. I still see a couple dark patches on the bottom but can't tell if it's algae or just part of the pool, (fading).

Thanks.

Yes, brushing the pool everyday and have the cleaner going as well.

The chances are you are not holding your chlorine high enough long enough. You should be at FC around 12- 14 ppm and should be bringing it back to that level TWICE DAILY....three times daily wouldn't hurt.

You have to SLAM the pool......don't play pattycake with it. Keep your FC up.

duraleigh said:
The chances are you are not holding your chlorine high enough long enough. You should be at FC around 12- 14 ppm and should be bringing it back to that level TWICE DAILY....three times daily wouldn't hurt.

You have to SLAM the pool......don't play pattycake with it. Keep your FC up.

Priceless...I can see this quote getting used again elsewhere! (My bold emphasis).

Good luck Steve (but you don't need luck). Just stay the course.

Day #10 and still losing the battle. I've upped my FC from 10 to 12, and then to 14...but it's still not working. (lost 2.5ppm FC overnight and CC still at .5)

I'm thinking about putting my new cartridges in the filter, even though the gauge still has not moved on it...but it couldn't hurt right?

Obviously I'm not doing something right since I've replaced most of the water and it is taking me this long...any suggestions? (and yes, I am keeping my FC up)

Thanks.

stevemac213 said:
I'm thinking about putting my new cartridges in the filter, even though the gauge still has not moved on it...but it couldn't hurt right?
Your chlorine loss has nothing to do with whether or not your filter is working. Once you get to the point where you pass the OCLT and have CC<0.5, and if the water is not steadily clearing. For now bleach/liquid chlorine is your solution.

How often are you able to dose the pool? I would not let your FC drop below 12 ppm (assuming 30 ppm for your cya).

>>Your chlorine loss has nothing to do with whether or not your filter is working.<<

Well, if that's true, why does the pump need to be running 24/7 then?

I am dosing it when needed...usually 2 or 3 times a day. It seems to hold up pretty good during the day, which is weird since that is when the sun is beating on it, but drops more dramatically during the night.

I honestly think my CYA might be less than 30...do you think I should float some trichlor pucks to raise it?

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.