Newbie needs SLAMing advice, and how much sodium hypochlorite in Clorox Bleach?

I was just in Winnipeg last night... It's a little wet out there... :) do you have a more recent pic?

Were you? Yes, it's been a deluge of rain for the past two weekends! I hope that you still enjoyed your time here!

The picture that I posted yesterday afternoon (Post #79) is the latest one. It's overcast and rainy AGAIN this morning, so I'll wait to do an afternoon pic.

Test #19:

SLAM: 16 ppm FC
FC: 20.5 ppm
CC: 0.5 ppm

I bumped it up to 21 FC and there was little loss overnight! But, my water still isn't clear. I've met 2 out of the 3 criteria, so I must be getting closer!

Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians! Hope it isn't quite as rainy where you are!!

The DE you asked about "Stall Dry Absorbent and Deodorizer" does not appear to be heat treated. In that case it shouldn't be used. You could send them an Email and ask if it's heat treated and safe to use in a pool filter as a filter enhancer.

The DE you asked about "Stall Dry Absorbent and Deodorizer" does not appear to be heat treated. In that case it shouldn't be used. You could send them an Email and ask if it's heat treated and safe to use in a pool filter as a filter enhancer.

Thanks so much for looking into this for me, kiss4afrog! I did send the manufacturer an email and will report back! I cannot find any other local source for DE.

I found one but they show a four (25ls) bag minimum. But now I'm wondering if that was an on line minimum. Let me see if I can pull them up, there are in Winnipeg.

Heat treated is also referred to as "sintered" if you happen to physically come across any and look at the label. Food Grade does not work as it's the same as the gardening or insect killing grade.
Might even find some at a pet store for aquariums ??? But I'd check the package as I don't know if it's heat treated.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.northwestwholesale.com/search_result.asp

North West Wholesale Pools & Spas
1215 Border St.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3H 0X9

Phone Numbers: (204) 975-0556
(800) 684-5494

I found one but they show a four (25ls) bag minimum. But now I'm wondering if that was an on line minimum. Let me see if I can pull them up, there are in Winnipeg.

Heat treated is also referred to as "sintered" if you happen to physically come across any and look at the label. Food Grade does not work as it's the same as the gardening or insect killing grade.
Might even find some at a pet store for aquariums ??? But I'd check the package as I don't know if it's heat treated.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.northwestwholesale.com/search_result.asp

North West Wholesale Pools & Spas
1215 Border St.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3H 0X9

Phone Numbers: (204) 975-0556
(800) 684-5494

Thanks, kiss4afrog! Is DE the same as Zeobrite? This is from one of the FAQ on Zeobrite's website:

"Question: I have read that some people use DE in the sand filters (in the skimmer after back washing), adding a cup of DE only. Does this work?

Answer: We do not recommend using DE with Zeobrite due to the similar structure of the two particles. Both particles are rough, angular shapes. The fine DE can actually lodge in the pores fo the Zeobrite particles, causing clogging. A better solution if one wants to use a filter aid is a cellulose material, such as PurFiber. This material will literally sit on top of the Zeobrite and will not cause any clogging. It is easily backwashed out of the filter."

Test #20:

FC: 17.5 ppm

It's been another rainy day here, so no afternoon pic. This is from this evening, and the sun is no longer overhead but moving away (the water is still looking the same to me even though it's hard to discern that from the pic):

20140701Evening.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
More pics on the way! :whoot:

Hang in there...........we're in this with you :smile:

You will be so happy when this pool is an absolute breeze to care for......soon Happy Swims :snorkle:

Thanks, Butterfly!

Test #22:

FC: 16.5 ppm

I wasn't home this afternoon to get a pic, so this is another evening shot:

20140702Evening.jpg

I have to admit that I'm getting a little bummed that there has been no change for a week now. I don't see any algae at all, but the water is still cloudy. The water looks better than it has in years, but my girls want to swim!! I know, I'm trying to be patient but it just feels discouraging when the water changes so much the first week but nada in the second!!

You're still brushing correct? I would also suggest cleaning the filter cartridges but you have a sand filter... Be patient, it's coming to an end... :)

Hi, JFB. Yes, I am still brushing but not as often as I was before. I will do that when I get home from work. No filter cartridge, but I do clean the filter basket.

I'll do an afternoon pic when the sunshine hits the pool.

Test #23:

FC: 19.5 ppm

No, I haven't. But I guess that's next on my list! It's going to create a big mess, though, because my sand filter is in the garage!!

Have you pulled light fixtures, ladders, steps, ropes, etc. and scrubbed every nook and cranny?

The pool isn't that big and it's round, so thankfully not too many nooks and crannies :) I did lift the steps as best as I could and scrubbed at them. I don't think I'll be able to remove them entirely (too heavy). There is a light in the steps, and I did scrub around it while balancing the steps on my back and shoulder trying to scrub at the same time!! I didn't remove it, though. And the only way that I can access it is if I try to lift and balance the steps again on my back. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. I need more time to do that, and I am short on that today!

Again, what is the CYA level?

I assume that you mean the CYA level before I started the SLAM? It was halfway between 30 and 40, so 35ish. Or did you mean that I should re-check it now?

Here are the afternoon pics:

20140703Afternoon1.jpg

As you can see, that pole disappears right below the surface so no clarity!

20140703Afternoonpole.jpg

Your pump is in your garage? That could get messy for sure.

Do yo have a shop vac and wheelbarrow? You could shop vac out the sand and put it in to your wheelbarrow to take outside to wash out. Just an idea.

Kim

Your pump is in your garage? That could get messy for sure.

Do yo have a shop vac and wheelbarrow? You could shop vac out the sand and put it in to your wheelbarrow to take outside to wash out. Just an idea.

We have harsh winters here (minus 30 Celsius), so yes the pump and hoses run underground from the pool into the garage to protect them from the elements.

Yes, I have both a shop vac and a wheelbarrow. This sounds like a process that I really don't want to undertake, LOL!! It's going to have to wait until Sunday at the earliest. I'm pressed for time the next couple of days with my niece's wedding.

Thanks for the idea!

Test #24:

FC: 16 ppm

Have you tried going to mustard shock level? I started at that level for the first day then brought it to that level past few nights.... im am seeing the results and have been brushing a lot, even took my ladder out and scrubbed thoroughly with 50/50 solution.

Hey, Matt. I did top it up to 24 ppm FC today, which is Mustard Shock Level for me, because I knew that I would be leaving the pool unattended for about 13 hours. I've been aiming for 21 ppm FC so that I can go longer between testing, but I'll shoot higher to 24 ppm FC and see if that helps.

I brushed today, and I did scrub the steps last week. My problem is that I have the drop-in steps and they're too heavy and awkward for me to try to lift in and out by myself. I don't have a deck around my pool, so I have to balance on the top of a step-ladder and tilt the steps sideways so that I can rest part of it on my back and shoulders while I reach down as far as I can to scrub. That's the best that I can do! I'll try to do it again, but it will have to wait until probably next week or Sunday at the earliest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.