Newbie needs SLAMing advice, and how much sodium hypochlorite in Clorox Bleach?

Darlene, I have just spent 1 hour going thru this thread. I am totally impressed with you and what you have done here. The extent of my wife's relationship to our pool is "are you going to take care of that or do we need to get someone out".

Hi, donspublic! When you only have yourself to count on (I'm currently going through a divorce), it's amazing what you become capable of when you have to! Believe me, I never thought I'd be doing plumbing, but here I am! And I sure hope that I'm teaching my girls that women can do anything :)

I might pay for you to have a vacation in Houston in the winter and you can come get my pool in shape :D. Please keep us updated with your results. Again this is like reading a novel that you know will have a happy ending. Good Luck

LOL!! I sure hope you are right! Fingers crossed!!

I wonder if the new sand has anything to do with the lower pressure? That is beyond my pay grade LOL

Did you put something in front of the return to make sure nothing was coming out of it like before?

You have learned SO much! Next Spring when you go to open the pool you will look back on this thread and KNOW you will not have to go through this again! I bet it will only take you less than a week to get the pool clear and balanced!

I will be watching to see what the others have to say about the cloudy water and lower pressure.

Kim

And look who came by to visit!

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

She was sitting on the leaves by the fence, so well camouflaged that I didn't notice her until curiosity got the better of her and she came over to see what I was doing (I was fishing the leaves out of the pool). So pretty!

I wonder if the new sand has anything to do with the lower pressure? That is beyond my pay grade LOL

The pool guy said that Zeobryte does make the pressure lower, but I can't see that it would make it THAT low! And, yes, the skimmer and pump baskets are clean just in case anyone asks :)

Did you put something in front of the return to make sure nothing was coming out of it like before?

Not yet, but I will. There must be 1000s of leaves in the pool!

You have learned SO much! Next Spring when you go to open the pool you will look back on this thread and KNOW you will not have to go through this again! I bet it will only take you less than a week to get the pool clear and balanced!

The water was looking clear in the sight glass, so I went ahead and put it on Filter. The pool guy said it should be fine. I don't notice that it made the pool water any cloudier. I can still see down to the bottom at the mountains of leaves down there :( They are HEAVY!

If your pool is anything like your yard I bet there ARE 1000s! of leaves in it! WOW! You have a built in workout for sure!

That deer! So pretty! I like that she did not turn and run when she knew you were there!

Kim

If your pool is anything like your yard I bet there ARE 1000s! of leaves in it! WOW! You have a built in workout for sure!

Oh, yeah! My forearms are so sore from lifting the heavy loads in the leaf rake out and over the pool. And I don't have a deck (another project for when my pools is trouble-free!) so it's especially hard to dip down and up and over.

That deer! So pretty! I like that she did not turn and run when she knew you were there!

Nope, she actually came towards me! They are always in our yard and not scared of me at all. I remember I was in the front yard raking and someone walked by the house and said "nice lawn ornament." I looked behind me and there were two deer sitting on the grass about five feet behind me! Normally each year, one of the does leaves her fawn(s) at the back of our yard in the horseshoe pits where there is overgrown grass. I'm sure it's the same doe every year because she doesn't mind when the kids and I are in the backyard with her fawn. We'd be splashing in the pool, and the fawn would stand up to take a look at us! In the winter, they basically camp out in our back yard. It's not unusual for us to have a group of up to ten in our yard at any one time. I even have a heated bird bath for them so that they have access to fresh water throughout the winter. Yes, they are spoiled! :)

That is so neat about the deer.

We have woods behind our property. The deer come into and through the yard all of the time. Our dog Drago used to stand in the herd of deer are they ate. Our dog now (Boss) wants to play with them so barks and chases them. They do NOT like it so do not stay around long. Sorry deer :(

I did not even think about you not have a deck. That has to be hard. I wonder if a chair would help at all? Give you a little more height.

Kim

We have woods behind our property. The deer come into and through the yard all of the time. Our dog Drago used to stand in the herd of deer are they ate. Our dog now (Boss) wants to play with them so barks and chases them. They do NOT like it so do not stay around long. Sorry deer :(

Lots of my neighbours have dogs, and I think the reason why the deer congregate in mine is because we don't!

I did not even think about you not have a deck. That has to be hard. I wonder if a chair would help at all? Give you a little more height.

Yes, that's what I have to do. It's a pain in the butt to move the chair all around the pool to do that, so I get tired of it and end up just going back down to the grass.

Hi Darlene..I haven't read the whole thread and just popped in on the last bit, so forgive me if my tips are redundant.

I have a very heavily treed (and deer-laden) property in Michigan and wanted to give you a few leaf tips to help your back ;)

#1 -- pool skim, if you can configure with your set up, helps a lot - it attaches to a return. Have a google ;)
#2 -- there is a device called a "leaf gulper" -- about $20 -- that attaches to a garden hose and with the "centrifuge" created, actually "sucks up" leaves so you don't have to bend/scrape the bottom...still have to lift it out when it fills, but as someone with a trick back, that thing saved my life when we removed this foreclosed swamp a few years back ;)
#3 -- expensive, but god I love my dolphin m4 I purchased last year because in my pool, that thing will absolutely gobble up leaves when you use the "spring" baskets. Best money I ever spent! With an above-ground, don't know if it would get hung up trying to climb walls...but thought I'd mention it.

#4...don't know the background and suspect there is a reason you are still open, but I know that by closing/covering by third week of Oct. here I miss the super-heavy leaf dump.

At any rate, cheers to your pool empowerment ;)

Hey there. :)

I've been following your thread for a while and I know that under normal circumstances you'd already be closed but you might want to try a leaf net. I have one and I love it and they're not all that expensive. Saves a ton of time and your poor muscles. No more scooping. Here's mine.

Last fall. ..

All the leaves sit on top and you can skim them much more easily. I can even let some of the weight of the skimmer rest on the net when I'm reaching for the middle of the pool. It's really worth it! Just something to consider...

Hope you can finally get your filter problem figured out soon!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.