Newbie needs SLAMing advice, and how much sodium hypochlorite in Clorox Bleach?

As far as how long to wait to test it's usually recommended to test every hour at first but it's a guide. The purpose of testing frequently is that at first the chlorine gets used up very quickly. As you test and add and test and add you'll start to see a pattern as to how much gets you up past the SLAM level and how fast it's dropping. They do recommend that until you pass the three tests that you do test a minimum of two times a day. Your test results and progress of killing off and cleaning up your pool will guide you in how often YOU need to test YOUR pool.
Your SLAM is successful when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

Test #3:

SLAM: 16 ppm FC
FC: 15 ppm
CC: 0.5 ppm

So, plugging in 6% instead of 8.25% of bleach is getting me closer to SLAM level...but I'm still not quite there!

That is some nasty green ...... stuff. With it that thick it's going to suck up chlorine pretty fast at first. Remember with SLAM the "M" is maintain. You don't want to let it come down too far from the shock level and you can always go a little higher. Life gets in the way so you can't always be testing but if your SLAM level is 16ppm you can always do the addition to hit 18ppm and then try to catch it as it hits or before it hits 14ppm.

It's thundering and raining outside, and I can't guarantee that I'm going to get out in the middle of the night and do another test and SLAM again before morning, so I'm going to follow your advice and use a target of 18 ppm FC which should get it over SLAM level and I'll recheck in the morning.

Thanks so much!

As far as how long to wait to test it's usually recommended to test every hour at first but it's a guide. The purpose of testing frequently is that at first the chlorine gets used up very quickly. As you test and add and test and add you'll start to see a pattern as to how much gets you up past the SLAM level and how fast it's dropping. They do recommend that until you pass the three tests that you do test a minimum of two times a day. Your test results and progress of killing off and cleaning up your pool will guide you in how often YOU need to test YOUR pool.

I would prefer to test more often but, with the difficulty for me in getting reagents in/to Canada, I don't want to run out before I get more!! I probably won't hear back from Lowry until Monday, but I'll check the price at Apollo in the meantime.

Hi Darlene, Welcome to the best pool site ever. I can't wait to see your pool pics once you get the algae out! Good luck!

Thanks, waterbugs57!

Good morning, everyone! I think we fared pretty well after the thunderstorm!! Here are this morning's results:

Test #4:

FC: 15.5 ppm FC

I added enough bleach last night to try to hit 18 ppm FC so that I didn't drop too low overnight. I'm still closer to the SLAM target than I've ever gotten! Dare I say it looks LESS green? Check it out:

2014.06.22 June 22nd morning before brushing.jpg

That was before brushing, but after brushing didn't look much different! I'm going to wait until there is sunshine overhead and take a pic later for comparison.

I definitely think that the Clorox is 6% rather than 8.25% because that's the number that I've been using and still missing my SLAM target. Could it possibly be less than 6%? Who knows!!

Here is a cost per ounce calculator. Sorry it's not metric I haven't found one yet. http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/ Chlorine (bleach) is hard to figure out what you're paying as it comes in different strengths and bottle sizes. This little guy breaks it down to the cost per oz of the actual chlorine so you're doing apples to apples instead of apples to oranges to watermelons.

That calculator is a gem!

The Aquarius 5 litre Liquid Chlorine at 10.8% costs $0.219/oz. The Clorox 3.57 litre at unknown concentration, likely 6%, costs $0.413/oz. So, I'll be heading back to Costco and returning the Clorox and going to Canadian Tire!

Thanks so much, kiss4afrog! And again to JFB for informing me of the great deal at Canadian Tire!!

Test #5:

FC: 17 ppm

Hooray!! FINALLY, I've hit SLAM level!! I'll keep 18 ppm as my target with the Clorox at 6%, but I think it probably is only 5%. Costco doesn't open until noon, so I'll have to wait to return the Clorox and then off to Canadian Tire to get the stuff at 10.8%!

here's a list of where i have found the necessary TFP chemicals in canada

muriatic acid: canadian tire, home hardware
liquid chlorine: can tire, walmart (HTH brand)
borax: walmart
baking soda: anywhere
CYA stabilizer: walmart (HTH)
calcium chloride: home hardware (if need to increase CH)

That's really helpful, poolnoob.ca! Thanks!

i found these CYA reagents on amazon.ca, would any of these work in the taylor or tf-100?: http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/180-2104505-5984711?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=CYANURIC

Hmmmm, I have no idea whether THIS is the same as Taylor R-0013. But I also can't wait 3-5 weeks for shipping!! And I am more desperate for R-0871, the FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent, than I am for the Cyanuric Acid right now. Hopefully, the price won't be too ridiculous at one of those two Canadian distributors.

And I am more desperate for R-0871, the FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent, than I am for the Cyanuric Acid right now. Hopefully, the price won't be too ridiculous at one of those two Canadian distributors.

They probably will be, at least compared to prices in the US. I find the CDN prices seem more reasonable if you stop looking at the US prices, since you know you're going to be buying in Canada anyways ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I find the CDN prices seem more reasonable if you stop looking at the US prices, since you know you're going to be buying in Canada anyways ;)

LOL, true enough, bridgman! I'll bet that I can probably buy a whole TFTest kit and ship to a PO Box in Pembina, ND and drive across the border to pick it up for cheaper than it will cost to buy a replacement bottle of the R-0871 reagent here in Canada!

I'll post the prices when I get them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.